Slow-mo shootout - which camera gives the most detail at 120fps?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's a plugin that gives some kind of resolution voodoo which I use for 120fps clips. 

It's called Finisher. (also known as Crumplepop Finisher). 

The plugin dramatically increases the perceived resolution with clever sharpening. 

I've found it doesn't work too well on Canon DSLR's, but is awesome for Panasonic and Sony. :) 

Thx for the test and after using quite a bit the 1Dx II in 120 fps I agree with you that is definitely not the strong point of the camera... usable but not great. The difference in quality between 4k 60p and 1080p 120fps is huge.

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

There's a plugin that gives some kind of resolution voodoo which I use for 120fps clips. 

It's called Finisher. (also known as Crumplepop Finisher). 

The plugin dramatically increases the perceived resolution with clever sharpening. 

I've found it doesn't work too well on Canon DSLR's, but is awesome for Panasonic and Sony. :) 

Looks like a combination of unsharp mask with a normal radius (somewhat small) and LCE (local contrast enhancement), which uses unsharp mask with a very large radius (e.g. 300). It's too bad PP CC doesn't GPU accelerate unsharp masking, however it is possible to achieve the effect with GPU acceleration by copying the video track, blurring it (Gaussian blur: 300), scaling the original (ProcAmp: Contrast & Saturation: 200) and subtracting the Gaussian blurred copy (Blend: Subtract).

I've been using 1DX II 1080p24 to get full frame shallow DOF and smaller files with nice results (sharpen around 50 in Lumetri/Creative in PP CC). Along with a little bit of fine noise grain, sharpening 1DX II along with LCE can look very filmic, even with the initially soft 120fps 1DX II 1080p.

Regarding Andrew's tests: every one of those 120fps cameras produce acceptable results. Was surprised to see the Alexa and Phantom missing though ;) 

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes Leica SL is running V3.0 firmware. I think the 4K is excellent (not yet tried 10bit 4K via HDMI) but the compressed 8bit 1080p combined with the flatness and high black level of L-LOG = banding hell!

Hi Andrew. Did you receive my email with a publication request for this article ? Let me know. Thanks

Andrew, Thank you for the test! It's my understanding that aliasing or softened detail can be made worse by smaller bitrates. Would the 120 fps image improve on the NX1 with a bitrate increase to say 160mbps from the standard 80? 96 fps on the GH4 lost detail relative to 60 fps at the same bitrate. Thoughts?