Atomos Ninja Flame + Lumix G7 --> very noisy footage

lenny87

Hello there,

I have a Panasonic Lumix G7 and i just bought the Atomos Ninja Flame. Yesterday i made some test shots and they came out very noisy,..see picture

Anybody got an idea why this could be? Or send me in the direction where i need to search to solve the problem?

The G7 had following settings:

ISO 640, aperture 3.5, shutter 50, white balance set manually , Picture style: Natural
Contrast: -5
Sharpness: 0
Noise reduction: 0
Saturation -5
camera was set to 4K uhd .mp4 - 25fps 100mbs

The Atomos was set to Prores 422

Is there anybody who was had something like this? I can't really think that so much noise comes from a ISO from 640?

Maybe my censor from the camera became to hot (i read online that this can also cause noise)

And there is a good change that my camera was to hot cause it was sitting exactly under the main lamp (800watt) which lights the front

of the character. Today i am going to make the same shot with a cold camera and see if that was the problem.

Meanwhile i hope somebody on the forum can lead me in the right direction to solve the problem.

Thanx in front

greetz Lenny

zupa-prores-full-noise.PNG.1b92fb6fadd8b1f44dc2cb6546bf22f9.PNG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have done some testing: comparing the internal mp4 footage with the external atomos Prores 422 footage

I got screenshots from the comparence from the Blue channel and from the color channel:

Cold camera is: when i made the shot with the camera 1 second after i had put all the lights on.

Warm camera is: when the camera was on for an hour, warmed up, cause of the influence from one of my lights, which was very close to the camera.

left.mp4-cold-camera-right-prores-warm-camera-blue-channel.thumb.PNG.91e6c5a7e0033771dd33409649501a63.PNG

left-mp4-cold-camera-right-prores-warm-camera-color-channel.thumb.gif.489a572a3f2aab576123270b6a61885c.gif

MP4Internal / Prores 422 Atomos

In the left you see the cold camera MP4 Internal. In the right you see the warm camera Prores 422 recorded with the Atomos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Left-cold-camera-prores-right-cold-camera-mp4-blue-channel.thumb.gif.4f34b51752e09725f41344e2f40a00b5.gif

left-cold-camera-prores-right-cold-camera-mp4-color-channel.thumb.gif.50a2bfd6b5d165240dbabb8ed5a7698d.gif

Prores 422 Atomos / MP4Internal

In the left you see the cold camera Prores 422 recorded with the Atomos. In the right the cold camera MP4 internal.
I forgot to put the main lights out in my DIY green screen room, when i filmed the cold-camera shot with the prores 422.
Which is not so bad after all, cause you can see, that although it has more light coming in then the internal mp4 shot. The prores 422
still has loads more noise.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
598b20c3ad687_left-cold-prores-right-warm-prores-400-blue-channel.thumb.gif.dc954d1629e57ed9b88d0aea0397825d.gif
left-cold-prores-right-warm-prores-400%-blue-channel.jpg

Cold-camera-prores 422 / warm camera prores 422 they are both scaled up to 400%

In the left you see the cold camera Prores 422 recorded with the Atomos. In the right you see the warm prores 422 recorded with the Atomos.
Here i also forgot to put the main lights out in my DIY green screen room, when i filmed the cold-camera shot with the prores 422.
You can see that although the lighting is differently the noise is not. As far as i can tell?!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i think that i can conclude out of this, that the problem has nothing to do with a warm censor, but either with the HDMI output from the Lumix G7, or
something with the Atomos, or something with the hdmi cable.

Or maybe completely something else??

At the moment i am using a normal hdmi cable from 10€:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00J99Z0SU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think i should buy the Atomos HDMI cable?

Thanx in front greetz Lenny

• 10 months later...