Whats up with No Film School?

Mattias Burling

• Super Members
4 hours ago, meanwhile said:

Also, the story about Leica originated with Reuters, so, yes, a proper news source -

I didn't read your post because its was to long and probably just useless insults.

But to the rest, here meanwhile is actually showing and proving exactly my point in the first post. He haven't even read the article from Reuters that writes about a successful outcome for an investor in a profitable company.

Instead he goes by NOFS click bait fake news headline that was first started by a hatemonger/blogger that nows squat about pretty much anything.

So what we have is a chain where everyone only reads and takes in the fake sidetrack story while at the same time believing that what they say originated from the original source.

And we all know this is a global problem in actual news as well. People want to believe the fake version of things rather than reality. We see it in politics, war, you name it.

And it is a problem.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The problem of Nofilmschool seems to be that it's mosty a content recycling site that creates clicks from summarizing third-party blog posts, news items and YouTube videos. It seems to be run by a few people who used to work for MTV and have NFS as their source of income while working as indie filmmakers/writers etc. Shows how precarious the whole media business has become, how everyone's struggling to pay their rent and how little room/money is left for experiments and original content (especially, if you live - like the makers of NFS - in New York). 

54 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Shows how precarious the whole media business has become

Trying to make a "filmmaker" living as the industry is getting turned upside down is a challenge.  I feel for the young grunts paying their dues in this way.  Doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

You can't run a website long term with constant 20-something turnover, and exploitation of those folks.  The quality will just be too marginal to be compelling.

People appreciate and comprehend quality, whatever form it takes.  If no one at NFS is mature or talented enough to offer some sort of insight worth considering, why read it?

Superficial stuff might get you instant numbers, but if nothing is worth sticking around for then those numbers (people) will drift after a different shining thing.  And the internet has quickly become mostly superficial shiny things.

I mean, I'm guilty of filling my head with online nonsense for no other reason than I have time to kill. "Hey, I better see what's new and pooping out of the outrage machine!  It's been 30 minutes since I last looked!"   Bad reason.

In contrast, EOSHD is a simple yet legitimate site.  The pace here is organic and justifiably so.  The site could also easily last as long as the owner wants it to.

Quiete interesting. I dropped by this thread because it´s from Mattias. Sometimes I just like to read the mellow down to earth stuff from people I like.

Then I saw, Fuzzy wrote something. And I feel like I want to engage in a conversation. So I just did. This site allows and even more promotes that.

Even though, you suckers didnt click my bait, you sons n daughties of bitches! You know how much I love to talk Panny Lumix 8bit stuff:)

For all the time I spend wasting on forums, I never could get into No  Film School. The few times I've been on it, something just seemed... I don't know, childish? Perhaps that's being too judgmental. 

This place has the perfect blend of a small and active community. It's kinda rare to have both. Too many people is often not a good thing, as the signal to noise ratio gets really bad. I used to go on dvinfo and creativecow a lot but both seem dead.  Even bmcuser has slowed down like crazy.  

I do enjoy a lot of the film based subreddits. r/editors,  r/videography, r/filmmakers and r/cinematography.

This is still my favorite video related website.

kayleerumors dot com is just going to be literally 100% clickbait bullshit – SO EASY!! Ill just make it all up!!! ill be rich *rubs hands*

hey did that guy ryan koo ever make his film? or just run off with his kickstarter money

also, @meanwhile: do NOT watch the mcgregor/mayweather press events you would NOT approve

I don't have any issue with blogs / websites making money from ads / sponsors, as it takes a lot of time to run and therefore I can understand where there would need to be some kind of financial reward. 

The issue is when the tone, voice and opinions of the content is actually massively affected by the relationships the blogger has, in order not to piss them off and lose their relationships. This is where information get inaccurate, biased and untruthful. Which none of us need. 

NoFilmschool has turned into a curator of other existing articles and also acts as a general "news" site, whereas others are massively affected by their sponsorship relationships. 

EOSHD is the only site that's kept this intact.

• Administrators

The thing with the aggregator sites is they tend to be very popular... but it's all built on somebody else's back. NFS barely had any original content of their own. Similarly 43rumors. I don't think it's morally right to base 100% of your business on the hard work of the crowd, doing the bare minimum yourself as a keyboard monkey to write headlines, a couple of paragraphs and the rest is cut & paste of text and URLs.

It is killing the internet for the creator because the original content creator cannot maintain the same relentless levels of output and high traffic as the rumours sites and aggregator blogs, therefore can't compete.

17 hours ago, dbp said:

Too many people is often not a good thing, as the signal to noise ratio gets really bad. I used to go on dvinfo and creativecow a lot but both seem dead.  Even bmcuser has slowed down like crazy.

It's interesting that BMCUser has slowed down. I've not been on there for ages.

Blackmagic have killed their mass appeal by doubling down on a pros-only focus.

17 hours ago, dbp said:

I do enjoy a lot of the film based subreddits. r/editors,  r/videography, r/filmmakers and r/cinematography.

Reddit is fantastic.

17 hours ago, dbp said:

This is still my favorite video related website.

Thank you!!

It's insane btw, how many times these rumor sites do small updates with non-information, just so they can post some more Amazon affiliate links. Or those discounts on vague imaging software you probably have no interest in. Reliability of their information or general professionalism isn't everything either... but then again, what do you expect of a 'rumors blog'... Well, maybe that atleast they throw their articles through a spell checker? If you're going to make us watch ads, click links and all that to compensate for your free time having spent on this hobby (I hope they don't rely on this as a job), you might as well actually put in the right amount of effort.

• Super Members

The rumor sites at least provide one product, the rumors. Then they fill it out with featuring content from others and pay the bills with affiliate links.

And now they are they are also being parasited by for example NOFS.

Fuji rumors for example always seems to know everything first. And he always direct the traffic to the original source when using others content. All good imo.

He has now started to watermark the f...k out of his pictures because other sites just steals it straight away without giving credit.

On 4.8.2017 at 11:51 AM, Mattias Burling said:

The whole positive video movement is long dead imo.

Too much fanboyism, envy and hate out there...Too many self proclaimed (but clueless) camera business analysts...And THIS is simply useless for interested people.

Real interested enthusiasts and working shooters are gone - now replaced by "gear lurkers only". They spend weeks upon reading reviews, then buy, use, read even more reviews, then upgrade, replace, resell gear and finally repeat this process ad infinitum...without even producing only one piece of really useful content. Nothing wrong when doing this - just useless for people mainly interested in shooting and NOT in endless talk...

In fact, the indecision of gear talkers is the factual bread-and-butter for most review sites. During the old days, I got much inspiration from many sites. Now...I am mainly disgusted by hate, envy, misconception, factual misinformation or even misleading and false statements...Gear talking became more and more boring and useless...

BUT...Though there still are many useful sites out there with people who really help and inspire one...

The pros and artists are out shooting and the rest have moved on to other hobbies.

Yep...My POV: Shoot first and talk then...

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It is killing the internet for the creator because the original content creator cannot maintain the same relentless levels of output and high traffic as the rumours sites and aggregator blogs, therefore can't compete.

On weekends I shoot for personal clients, but I'm full-time during the week as in-house video advertising for an internet based company, and I know first hand how rigged google SEO and page ranking is against original content creators. The irony is that with out them, these aggregators couldn't exist, but google doesn't give a shit if something's original. The only exception, where I think original creators still have a chance, is YouTube, due to rankings being based on likes and subscribers.

But then again, places like nofilmschool just embed the YT videos and write some paragraphs below for SEO purposes, and steal the traffic AND the chance for viewers to hit the like button!

13 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

I know first hand how rigged google SEO and page ranking is against original content creators.

Yeah, f'da internet these days.  Not happy at how it's been callously appropriated by wanton algorithmic enterprise.  I understand it and why it's happening, but certainly don't appreciate the results, even though I'm guilty as everyone else of being manipulated by it...and manipulating it to my own advantage, if I'm being honest.

The world is currently in a mode where rewarding BS is status quo.  (maybe that's our default mode anyway) And until things change somehow, the whole thing is devolving.  Minimizing individualism is, in my mind, minimizing humanity in general.  Perhaps that's our path, but I'm old, so it's my right to think everything's going to hell.

At the end of the day, aggregation is theft and the only way to attempt to curb it is probably to regulate.  That absolutely wouldn't be possible nor effective anyway.

14 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

But then again, places like nofilmschool just embed the YT videos and write some paragraphs below for SEO purposes, and steal the traffic AND the chance for viewers to hit the like button!

and

41 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

At the end of the day, aggregation is theft and the only way to attempt to curb it is probably to regulate.

...ever reflected on the fact that EVERY news media nowadays produces it's news about 90% on releases from news agencies? There are 3-10 news agencies spreading the same news...and hundreds/thousands of "news media" buying this "content" from leading agencies, changing a little bit the text (no duplicate content from Googles POV), doing some internal linking (link juice for news categories and older articles, etc.) and the firing out the articles...

But in fact, more than 90% of today's news base on news agencies releases spreaded to their clients...Hundreds of media publish the same news, sometimes with different title and a little bit of text differentiation...So news media - even of the most famous/appreciated ones - is nothing but about 90% copy & paste and aggregation. When copying the content of smaller sites, German media mostly DON'T CREDIT the original source...

The such called "journalists" are more SEO pundits than journalists....The good one is, most media working like this, drives down...Consumers should NOT REWARD copy&paste journalism, content theft, etc...

NFS seems to be pushing a little bit more original content, I've read a bunch of reviews that are original, but they still have a ton of stuff that are basically reposts. One thing that I do like is that they'll summarise videos they post -- which probably isn't great for the people making the videos, but it's nice to have that takeaway. I think they reserve a lot more of their original reporting for their podcasts, which is actually pretty good, though the presenters can be a bit stilted.

Their discussion board, on the other hand, is utter trash. Not as bad as youtube, but that's not a high bar.

On ‎5‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Blackmagic have killed their mass appeal by doubling down on a pros-only focus.

Im mainly a hobbyist and I am running around with a ursa mini pro :). The price of a ursa mini pro is still cheap, for the image that you are getting.

And yeah nofilmschool was great for beginner filmmakers, but it seems it has not evolved in years, it just sticks with beginner filmmaking tutorials and articles. So advanced users do no bother with the site anymore.