Moller Anamorphot 8/19/1.5x with a zoom?

mat33

Hi, I'm thinking about finally jumping into anamorphic shooting.  Top of my list at the moment is the Moller 8/19/1.5x which I would like to use on my XC10 (and a GH3). The XC10 has a 1 inch sensor and a fixed 8.9-89mm lens (24-240mm in 35mm).  The front element is ~34mm in diameter, and I imagine there will be vignetting with the wider angle but do you think there would be any issues at the longer focal lengths?  Also, do anamorphic adapters generally play well with zoom lenses or are they likely to be quite soft compared to primes?  I am also unsure how the XC10 autofocus would work with the dual focus -would I just set the focus on the anamorphot using the distance markings and then use the touch AF on the XC10 like usual? The XC10 lens is a f2.8-5.6, and I usually shoot at f5.6 so I'm not looking to use it at a very wide aperture.

Thanks for your help.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks @whoisjsd that all makes sense.  It looks like on the XC10 when its at its widest at 24mm the rear element is ~2.5cm from the front element and this distance extends to ~8cm from front-rear when at 240mm -how does that compare to your 45-175mm?

People have used the Canon WD-H58W wide angle convertor lens on the XC10 without any issues, and this weighs ~700grams so I thought an anamorphic adapter + clamp would probably be ok?

Would the AF work ok with the anamorphot if I had it dialled in roughly using the distance scale?

Thanks again @whoisjsd, appreciate your help.  I guess I'll need to just test it on the XC10 -I suspect it might work from 35-80mm or so before the rear element is too far away. I also have a GH3 that I can use it on, maybe with the 20mm pancake or I have some Contax lenses.  Does anyone know what a reasonable price for the 8/19/1.5x is these days?  

• 7 months later...
On 7/28/2017 at 8:12 PM, whoisjsd said:

Zooms work fine depending on the situation. Your issue is going to be how far back the actual lens is from the sensor/rear element. An example: When using an 8mm anamorphic on a prime lens (Let's say my Aivascope) 28mm is vignette free. But when I use my 12-35mm zoom, it has a vignette the full length, even at 35mm. It's because when you zoom, the lens extends further away from the rear element and sensor. On the other spectrum, my 45-175mm zoom is internal, so the lens stays the same length. I can find the limit of all of my anamorphics with that lens. I first discovered this while playing with an old HDV cam. When the internal lens zooms, the whole rear moves back, pushing the anamorphic further from the rear element and the vignette didn't go away for the whole zoom range.

The rear element of the Bolex  Moller 8 is pretty small, if I remember correctly. Also, it's really heavy. You have to watch for your zoom motors (if it has one) and focus motors and make sure it's not too much of a burden.

I hope this explains what I'm trying to say. I can shoot some examples if you need me to.

I have a GH2 and Bolex Moller 8/19/1.5x. I use the 52mm redstan adapter. The widest I have successfully shot without vignette is 35mm, I am about to buy the lumix 45-175mm solely for the purpose of using the bolex anamorphic lens with it. Can you please confirm what focal length range could you use without vignette?

my purpose of buying this was that I didn't find any other more suitable for the bolex lens. This lumix has a 46mm filter size, internal focusing and zoom and relatively affordable. Buy reading your comment about the optical element within the barrel move farther has got me thinking whether I will be able to use it with bolex for the entire range or not. Please suggest your findings. Thanks you

3 hours ago, whoisjsd said:

@don carlos It drastically differs depending on the lens. On the Kowa-8 2x lens I can use the full range of the 45-175, but it's a rare and fantastic lens. I don't have any of the Bolex lenses so I can't say for sure. At f/4 to f/5.6 you are looking at sharp images through the range that is usable.

Thanks for the swift response. I am going to give it a try and share my findings. On a side note I was considering the faster 35-100mm 2.8, however it has a 58mm outer diameter so I will have to use a step down ring 58-52mm to attach my bolex lens, I was suspicious if that can cause vignetting, do you have any opinion on that.

Also, my planned short film will be shot mostly inside a moving train so I guess I am definitely going to need a diopter, any recommendations? I have only heard of the ones that cost a bomb. Would you know whether the ND Filter should be the final attachment or should it be the diopter.

Regards from Canada