SLR Magic 1.33x 50 with GH5 and Leica Nocticron 42.5mm f1.2

DBounce

The title pretty much says it all. I recently got the Anamorphot, GH5 and Panasonic Leica lens, so I have been playing with them to see how thing pan out for a complete anamorphic novice. So far I am liking the combination a lot. The Nocticron can autofocus even with the Anamorphot in place, this was a surprise. Anyway enough yapping, below is my fooling around:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

The title pretty much says it all. I recently got the Anamorphot, GH5 and Panasonic Leica lens, so I have been playing with them to see how thing pan out for a complete anamorphic novice. So far I am liking the combination a lot. The Nocticron can autofocus even with the Anamorphot in place, this was a surprise. Anyway enough yapping, below is my fooling around:

Do you think the Leica's focusing motors might be stressed with such a heavy adapter hanging off the front of the lens?

The filter threads on the Nocticron are on the lens body, and the lens body is all metal and feels quite sturdy. So I have no concerns there... since, no stress is on the focus motors. It's a very interesting combination. I did a fair amount of research prior to investing in this setup, taking particular care to make certain all the components would work well together.

Do you have any thoughts on the IQ of the footage? I have to admit, when if first saw the early review of the Anamorphots, I thought they did not look great, but I think this can be attributed to the choice of taking lens, rather than the Anamorphot. 

One thing I can tell you is that the Rangefinder is heavy. I'm still trying to figure a way to use it comfortably without rigging it. But that may be wishful thinking.

14 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The filter threads on the Nocticron are on the lens body, and the lens body is all metal and feels quite sturdy. So I have no concerns there... since, no stress is on the focus motors. It's a very interesting combination. I did a fair amount of research prior to investing in this setup, taking particular care to make certain all the components would work well together.

Do you have any thoughts on the IQ of the footage? I have to admit, when if first saw the early review of the Anamorphots, I thought they did not look great, but I think this can be attributed to the choice of taking lens, rather than the Anamorphot. 

One thing I can tell you is that the Rangefinder is heavy. I'm still trying to figure a way to use it comfortably without rigging it. But that may be wishful thinking.

The Nocticron is a beast, that's for sure! Solidly built. I just read about the motors in a review of the SLR Magic, it didn't seem to make sense to me either, but heh... maybe they were just referring to zoom lenses... that must be it. Your footage looks great - I wasn't pixel peeping, since an adapter is going to degrade the image from a clinical point of view anyhow. I'd like to see more from you with those blue streaks and some smeared bokeh balls when you've got the chance.

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

The Nocticron is a beast, that's for sure! Solidly built. I just read about the motors in a review of the SLR Magic, it didn't seem to make sense to me either, but heh... maybe they were just referring to zoom lenses... that must be it. Your footage looks great - I wasn't pixel peeping, since an adapter is going to degrade the image from a clinical point of view anyhow. I'd like to see more from you with those blue streaks and some smeared bokeh balls when you've got the chance.

Yes, I recall them (SLR Magic) mentioning straining focus motors. The filter threads on some lenses are on the focus assembly. It's probably wise to avoid such a setup as it would no doubt lead to damage. Most zooms also IMO are a poor choice. I have had my eye on the Panasonic Lumix 35-100mm V2. This lens, while a zoom apparently does not extend, and the filter threads are on the lens body, not the focus assembly. The only thing that concerns me with that lens is I am unsure if the filter threads are plastic or metal? It goes without saying that you would want a reasonably solid lens to mount this adapter to. Also, keep in mind that if you intend on adding the Rangefinder or a diopter, it will add more weight. 

I've been giving consideration to flying this setup on a gimbal. I have a Letus Helix Jr, but don't believe it is the ideal gimbal for a GH5, as it does not really allow for opening of the LCD screen. Maybe the Titla Gravity G1? While it would be heavy for one handed work fully rigged, there is the option to attach additional handle via Arri Rosette.

Lastly, you are right, I need to take this thing out at night and try for some of those anamorphic flares and crazy bokeh. I sense this will happen sooner as opposed to later :grin:

On 7/26/2017 at 6:24 PM, whoisjsd said:

I have been using my Nocticron with anamorphics for awhile now. Even though it can hold pretty much anything (Did some photography with the Isco Ultra Star attached and nothing else) I still use a simple rail setup when I can. Also, as far as zooms go, I highly recommend the 45-175 Panasonic zoom. The zoom is internal. It's a sharp lens and you can find the range of your anamorphic instantly.

I'm gonna suggest something crazy... look into the new SLR Magic 40mm compact 1.33x... I have shot with the exact same setup you have (minus the GH5) and I have seen the same, if not better results with the compact online. You will then have a lighter setup without compromising on image quality. When I did a comparison with the SLR and my classic 1.33x compact (from the 90's) other than the SLR Magic being more blue, I did not think the extra weight was worth it.

Also, I'd have to see how the GH5 does with Dual IS before really saying anything, but don't expect too much putting that on a gimbal. If you want to use it as a mobile jib or tripod, it should work great. But don't expect to walk much with it on any gimbal, haha. I have put mine on a Beholder DS1 with a 1.75x anamorphic and it works, but it's use is very limited given it's field of view.

If you stick with the 50 I'd try your Letus first before going with any other gimbal. Front heavy setups like the one you want to use may push the rig too far back on a gilmbal for you to rotate it fully on an Y axis.

Lastly, don't expect too much night-wise from the SLR Magic on the Nocticron. If I remember correctly, I had a hard time getting decent images past f/2.8. The only anamorphics I have used that have taken full advantage of the 1.2 f-stop are the Isco Ultra Star and the Moller 32 (with some vignetting).

I don' t think your idea is crazy at all. From what I have seen of the footage from the compact, it can produce some nice imagery. My experience using the diopters has shown me that I can still have great DOF with this simple addition. And since the Rangefinder is very heavy and upsets the  balance of the camera to an unacceptable degree, I'm now starting to think that your idea of going with the compact is crazy like a fox. Once it lands I'll put it through its paces and report back what I learnt. 

On 28/07/2017 at 3:13 PM, DBounce said:

(...) since the Rangefinder is very heavy and upsets the  balance of the camera to an unacceptable degree, I'm now starting to think that your idea of going with the compact is crazy like a fox. Once it lands I'll put it through its paces and report back what I learnt. 

The 40 model has two versions with and without Rangefinder. I guess the most expensive one (half price of the separate 2 pieces route, anyways) is a much better option exactly considering your line of reasoning. Ready to drop the bucks on it? 

Here's a shooter who bought single version:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?355394-Anamorphic-Travel-Camera

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?355703-More-Anamorphic-Travel-Footage&p=1986713249#post1986713249

He posted here:

https://vimeo.com/224886124

"I don't work with the rangefinder because I need to use a variable ND filter. And if you are using the new adapter with an auto focus lens, the rangefinder is unnecessary."

I don't see how a variable ND filter is non-compatible with the use of a Rangefinder when there's a front thread there anyway:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1278825-REG/slr_magic_slra_40133xrf_anamorphot_133x_40.html

The 82mm front filter thread?

And here's the direct link to the other clip where you can follow the discussion there:

https://vimeo.com/223926601

23 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

I think the first two are the same actually (although the price differs significantly at B&H, must be a mistake, same type number).

The third one is the new, compact one.

With or without rangefinder