G7 test - no colour correction

TrueIndigo

Since I don't have a dog or a cat, here's another "pie film" to test out the Panasonic G7, shooting UHD at 25 fps. All was shot handheld (using a pistolgrip) with a Panasonic 25mm prime lens (at f2.8 throughout). Exposure was gauged from the camera's live histogram and the camera was kept at 200 ISO. To see the true character of the camera, all shots are straight out of the camera with absolutely no colour or luminosity changes in post. The lighting situation was natural daylight, except for the last sequence at the table, which also used some fill-in light (a pair of LED lights) to augment the darker situation. Below are the essential camera settings that were used:

Video: Internal 3840 x 2160 x 25p, H.264, 4:2:0, 100 Mbps MP4.
Picture profile: Natural (Contrast 0, Sharpness 0, NR +5, Saturation 0).
Luminance levels: 1-255.
White balance: Daylight preset (Blue +4, Green +4).
Highlight and Shadow: Highlights -2.

The UHD mp4 export settings from Premiere were: H.264, VBR 2 pass, target max bit rate 37 Mbps. Sound was AAC, 320 kbps, 48 kHz stereo. Here is the YouTube link:

Music taken from Eric's collection - see his EOSHD thread here:

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thank you for the kind words. The last Panny I had was years ago (a GH1), so I was interested to see how much things had changed since then. I got the G7 body-only, and bought the Panasonic 25mm lens separately; it's a surprisingly good lens, though I find the electronic focus ring is not to my liking - increasingly now I'm using my old manual primes (mostly Nikon). I've been testing various things on the G7 for the last three months or so, and my settings were changing almost by the day! Yes, I've brought the sharpness down bit now. The option to make a custom curve in-camera is very useful - I don't particularly want to raise shadows, only to darken them again in post, but the ability to lower highlights (for a nice roll-off) makes a mature-looking image. Hoping to start shooting a comedy film soon (still finishing the props), and I think this might be the camera to shoot it with. At the moment, for exteriors, I am happy with:

Natural (Contrast 0, Sharpness -2, NT +5, Saturation -3).
Highlights and shadows (Highlight -2).
Daylight WB preset (Blue +6, Green +6).