Nikon D850 development with 8K timelapse officially announced.

wolf33d

Poor Nikon.. specs aren't even out & people are already burying them!

Videographers seem to have moved on to mirrorless, but most of the pro still shooters I know are still firmly rooted in DSLR systems.

From lens choice to battery, ergonomics, weather sealing, AF, OVF, Flash.. etc all reasons why DSLR might still have bright days ahead of them..

Also Nikon may be dependant on Sony for sensors but the result is usually better DR then Canon. 

If they can just manage full read out 4K with minimum to zero crop factor.. and perhaps a workable live View AF, they'll have easily beat Canon's best offering in that segment.

Although my guess is the video centric body will be the D750 follow-up..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 3:51 AM, Andrew Reid said:

It's a weird announcement because it kills their D810 sales.

They have clearly done it to try to get people to wait for the D850 instead of some beast from a competitor that they know is coming out soon.

That beast would be the next generation of Sony consumer cameras that will start rolling out towards the end of the year and early 2018. My expectation is that they will have capabilities that will be the beginning of the end of the DSLR in the consumer space. Going forward MILCs will outperform most if not all DSLRs.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:15 AM, Andrew Reid said:

I think the only people Nikon should be scared of are themselves!

Nikon have a similar problem as Canon has, which is that silicon advancement is where the industry future is at, and that is squarely being driven by companies like Sony and Panasonic. The only way Nikon are going to survive (and to a lesser extent, Canon) is by teaming up with some outside but related company who does have the necessary capabilities in silicon (Samsung, for example, but there might be others as well). If they don't do this they are going to fall further and further behind every year.

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

Forget full sensor downsampling.. its not going to happen. 45x30 is 1350 mega pixel per second! Its even more than GH5, but in a FF sensor! .. no, its impossible for now. 

Why is a FF sensor any different from a crop sensor in downsampling?

It is just data, it has nothing to do with the sensor size. The limitation when it comes to handling data is the processor and it's thermal envelope. If the camera uses a processor with cutting edge design and lithography it will be capable of doing it (since we know that there are already image processors from Sony, Panasonic and Samsung that can do this). 

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

A shame that no IBIS and especially no PDAF is killing it.

Guys, now as some of world's most famous and appreciated camera business analysts predict Nikon's death, it's time to sell your Nikon gear and Nikon stock. 

On 26.7.2017 at 10:17 PM, Django said:

Poor Nikon.. specs aren't even out & people are already burying them!

Most absurd kind of "gear talk": Blaming cameras not even announced and lacking any official spec...boredom, personal frustration and hate just kill common sense...

• Super Members

If, and that is a big IF, the d850 gets that viewfinder there will be a shortage of hats for a while.

No crop in UHD sounds nice.

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/27/the-nikon-d850-will-be-capable-of-4k-uhd-video-in-fx-format-with-no-crop.aspx/

"This is what we know about the D850 so far based on my initial reports from May andJune and some new information:

45-46MP full frame CMOS sensor

Improved low and high ISO

New and improved version of SnapBridge

No built-in GPS

Tiltable LCD screen just like the D750 and D500

Memory card slots: one SD and one XQD

AF system from the D5

No built-in flash (from the teaser picture)

Back illuminated buttons (from leaked pictures)

Joystick selector (from leaked pictures)

Built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (from leaked pictures)

8K time-lapse video capabilities (from promo video)

New: the D850 will be on display at the Photo+ Expo in October

New: touchscreen

New: 4k UHD video in FX format (with no crop)

Here are the "big" unanswered questions I have so far - I hope that with this post, I will get some tips from people in the know (use the contact form):

Fps rate - I was told different numbers here, including 8fps which is a bit high in my opinion.

EVF/hybrid viewfinder - everything so far is pure speculation based on thedesign of the D850 pentaprism and previous Nikon hybrid viewfinder patents accompanied by some catchy headlines online with exclamation points. I know that "hybrid viewfinder" headlines bait a lot of clicks, but as of today, I have no reason to believe the D850 will have such technology. If something changes, I will do a post asap. This is how I have been operating for over 10 years and I will not change it now just because somebody on the Internet says so.

Release date

Price"

12 hours ago, tugela said:

Why is a FF sensor any different from a crop sensor in downsampling?

It is just data, it has nothing to do with the sensor size. The limitation when it comes to handling data is the processor and it's thermal envelope. If the camera uses a processor with cutting edge design and lithography it will be capable of doing it (since we know that there are already image processors from Sony, Panasonic and Samsung that can do this). 

Yes, the problem would be the thermal envelop. The A7R2 doesn't do full downsampling in 4K neither. Only in crop mode. Pana does 4k60 with 20mpx but the sensor is 4 times smaller (run colder). Doing both (large sensor) and massive amount of data/pixel seems to be hard for the manufacturers at the moment.

• Administrators

It will certainly be pixel binned 4K like Fuji X-T20 and A7R II.

When done well like on the A99 II it can look very nice.

And Nikon's flat profile / colour / processing pipeline is very good.

Hopefully they won't forget to put the Super 35mm 6K oversampled crop mode on there... HINT HINT!

11 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Yes, the problem would be the thermal envelop. The A7R2 doesn't do full downsampling in 4K neither. Only in crop mode. Pana does 4k60 with 20mpx but the sensor is 4 times smaller (run colder). Doing both (large sensor) and massive amount of data/pixel seems to be hard for the manufacturers at the moment.

The heat is from the processor, not the sensor. 

Yeah I find an EVF or better yet hybrid viewfinder is a very interesting asset for still photography.. but for video I find it over rated. Tilt/swivel/touchscreen LCD, external monitor or even remote phone/tablet viewing are where it's at for me these days..

EVF speculation was a joke.. to project a high-res digital image through an optical finder prism, you need an OLED screen that doesn't emit light in straight line, but angled! Which needs every single pixel to be equipped with a micro mirror. Possible to fabricate, but way too expensive for a high volume DSLR, and God knows how questionable would be its performance compared to a conventional EVF. 

D850 should be the best "DSLR" they could make, and then start the serious mirrorless journey. 

8 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

I've been using my D750 with a Zacuto Z-Finder as a 'mirrorless', for stills, to focus MF lenses accurately. Works well and looks like you're using a Phase One from a distance. :grin:

Won't fool an expert unless you pretend the camera has broken down after a couple of hours....

On 2017-7-28 at 0:08 AM, Arikhan said:

Guys, now as some of world's most famous and appreciated camera business analysts predict Nikon's death, it's time to sell your Nikon gear and Nikon stock. 

Ok: name one of those analysts...