Nikon D850 development with 8K timelapse officially announced.

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wait!

A camera company, with a history of making cameras in sequence announces they are GOING to make a new camera in one of their sequences (that has been expected for a while)?

THIS on their birthday?

No longer do companies need to compete with actual cameras, now it is ones in development.

Maybe Canon and Sony are working on new cameras?    Who would know?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, noone said:

No longer do companies need to compete with actual cameras, now it is ones in development.

I'm not sure who did this first. Panasonic did it with the GH5 but I have a vague memory of Fuji doing the same, but might be mistaken.

Its the newest thing I guess. Build the hype early and get people on forums and such to say what they want in it.
They get free pols, target groups, data, etc. A lot of money saved in market research.

And it might slow down the sales of for example the A9 since many like to "wait for the next model before deciding".

Pretty smart imo.
And kinda nice. I would love to get an official confirmation of a Fuji  X70s or a Ricoh GRiii as early as possible.

I do think it wont be THAT far off and maybe only a couple of months.

I guess they probably wanted it to be available on their birthday but couldn't quite do it so have to settle for an announcement that it is coming instead which is a bit lame.     In any other year it would not look so silly to me I think.

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

Potential A9R buyers won't come back to DSLR just because of D850, and Nikon knows it. 

Exactly. As a former Nikon I could see myself getting back but only with a decent mirrorless Nikon camera. But the more they wait, the more features need to be included. Sure they will get ergonomics better that Sony, but they will also need to add 4k, IBIS, trusty AF, great EVF, silent shutter with no distortion, etc... It's getting hard to catch up... 

• Super Members

They're trailing it as 'the next frontier' but I wonder whether it might also be 'the final frontier' as far as DSLR's are concerned?

At some point the mirror will have to yield and you wonder how many more times round the block they can go before that happens.

The D8** series being Nikon's highest resolution cameras and having a 2-3 year cycle, could this be the last one before mirrorless takes over as its hard to imagine them hanging in there until 2020 isn't it?

Its weird to think that an announcement like this, which doesn't exactly have the pulse racing, might turn out in the fullness of time to have been for a camera that would be the highest watermark DSLRs ever reached.

The problem is that Nikon depends on Sony sensors. It is like you have a war with an X nation, but you buy your naval and air equipment by them, you just can't compete with those terms.

As good as your military experience is, and as good as your war plans are, you can't win a modern war without resources, manufacturing and technology.

Probably they have some kind of agreement, so Nikon has the dSLR sector of Sony's sensors, and Sony the mirrorless, but I do not see dSLRs keep being competitive in the near future,

and I do not see Sony to give Nikon their newest and most modern sensor for 2018, at least not before the A7Riii and A7Siii are out.

It is the end of an era.

I have no doubt that as a stills camera, WHEN it comes it will be as good as it gets for image quality.        It is possible it could well be Nikons last high pixel count DSLR (I think they might go another round for sports/speed shooters both pro and amateur).      Then again, Nikon being Nikon, there might be one more high pixel count DSLR after this too.

The only thing that they have revealed here really is that it is called the D850 and not the D820. 

Many companies give out presents on their birthdays, Nikon gave an IOU.

• Super Members

I can only speak to my own job of sports photography but I think they might struggle with a D6 or even a D5s. No one is really crying out for higher speed at this point and if they are the economics are so tough at the moment that there are still plenty of D4 and D4s being used that shows people aren't ready to spend on the D5. That's the problem with selling workhorse cameras, people will take you at your word when money is tight!

If this D850 is to be the last hurrah for the D8** line in a mirrored format then maybe there is something in it being called 850 rather than 820. If they are looking to go out with a bang and also keep sports and photo journalists in the fold then a halfway house between the 820 and a D5 would be very popular. Something just a bit less resolution but that had proper performance at 12800 would be enough for me to do what I don't want to do which is buy another mirrored camera!

There are plenty of D8** cameras used in sport (by me included) but they tend to disappear into the bag when the lights dim. In the wilderness years before the D500 came along, the D8** was effectively - due to how far you could crop in - the best pro APS-C DSLR that Nikon made and that's how we used it. If they can combine that with better low light performance then it won't be a difficult sell for people like me with battered cameras who are baulking at a D5 price ticket this late in the mirrored game.

Who knows, maybe if they're committed to NOT doing another mirrored D5 successor then they might say "fuck it let's just make the last high end DSLR we make also be the best DSLR we ever made".

If they're looking for legacy like they did with the F5 when digital was coming in then that's exactly what they should be doing. As it stands, their legacy from this era will be the D3. Which is no bad thing but it would be great if they bucked the trend and went for giving us everything they could in a product instead of holding back.

Dream on though eh?

It'll be a million mp, useless beyond ISO3200, 1080p with a 5x crop, and have a mirror slap that could be measured on the Richter scale. The only thing approaching IBIS it will have is the Irritable Bowel Syndrome it give you when you shit yourself at the £3.5K price tag.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The problem is that Nikon depends on Sony sensors. It is like you have a war with an X nation, but you buy your naval and air equipment by them, you just can't compete with those terms.

On the other side Sony keeps a competitor on the leash and still gets a share of cake every time the competitor sells something. It also dries up the market for any company who would like to sell sensor. Better to fight a known enemy under your terms with some benefits than ending with an uncontrollable situation with new independent competitors or chinese/korean players.

In this case Sony controls the ground, the date and the players for the Battle. They fight and are mildly annoying but they give you cash and can not win the war. Better than having the enemies do alliance in your back and stab you in unknown terrain.

@OliKMIA my comment was from the point of Nikon, Sony is doing great, certainly wins the war. As it is right now, not even Canon can resist their, in all fronts, attack. It was a big mistake than no one took advantage of the Samsung exit from the market, they had already some very interesting sensors ready for production (some rumored even full frame ones) and a lot of modern electronics technology (memory, amoled touch screens etc). Monopolies are certainly not good for (tech) evolution, the market or the customers (e.g look at what Ryzen does to the market right now).