HDMI Capture "Card" for under $40

maxotics

Saw this on YouTube. Fascinating.  NOT FOR THE TECHNICALLY FAINT OF HEART.  But if you're comfortable with TCP/IP then this is very interesting.  Essentially, what Danman has figured out is that this HDMI extender transmits the HDMI signal through standard TCP/IP packets.  He discovered that VLC, ffmpeg, etc. will read the stream fairly well, and most other software that will display a network stream.  From there, you can save to any video CODEC they support (which is almost every one) There are various hacks to get around some issues (like multi-broadcasting to your whole network) which seem pretty well documented.  I suggest watching the YoutTube video by OpenTechLab.  The only gotcha for you EOSHDers is the latency, which is about a second and half.

https://blog.danman.eu/new-version-of-lenkeng-hdmi-over-ip-extender-lkv373a/

Here's what I believe is the right thing on Ebay.  Remember, you want the TRANSMITTER.  Not the receiver.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LKV373A-V3-0-HDMI-Extender-100-120M-HDMI-Extender-Over-Cat5-Cat6-Support-1080P/191750919298?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=490770381286&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

• maxotics changed the title to HDMI Capture "Card" for under $40
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This would make an interesting wireless solution with a point to point wifi link like UBNT Nanostation. (I use the LocoM2 as a cheap AP with great range)

Key would be to force it to output the correct frame rate and resolution.

Having it not scale could maybe reduce latency by a little too.

Wonder if VLC on a phone would work too. That would make a decently cheap monitor maybe.
With a more powerful PC or tablet adding peaking and the like might be possible.

btw it's UDP and not TCP/IP so there is no error correction or handling of dropped packets.

5 minutes ago, no_connection said:

btw it's UDP and not TCP/IP so there is no error correction or handling of dropped packets.

That's why I'm not rushing to buy one ;) I've had enough networking protocols for a lifetime.  You'll see in the video that you can configure it through your browser a bit.