FCPX changed storage location upon import -- should I be concerned?

manueldomes

I haven't changed any preferences and the copy to library option was checked when I imported files for my current projects, but as of this project, FCPX does not store the media inside the fcpbundle anymore, but creates two folders on the same file level where the bundle is (original and proxy media). Inside the bundle, the usual folders are still present, but only contain link files. Is this supposed to happen after a recent update? Not minding it in principe, just concerned because a recent crash on another editing hard drive caused that whole library to become corrupted, so don't want to risk anything like that happening again...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This sounds rather unlikely. You already said that the copy to library option was checked, but just to rule out one thing, choose the library and just import another clip. Does it say copy to library or copy to (i.e.) manueldomes media drive ??? You could have had the copy to library option checked in preferences, but this can be overridden in the library's inspector settings (>modify >storage locations >media).

If you read copy to library and if the library settings say in library, then this is a mystery and a mess, and you have every reason to be concerned. Then this probably is a very rare accident, I've never heard of this before. You should better post your request on 

http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx

... where you will get help. 

EDIT: hold down alt + cmd when you launch FCP X (trash preferences). This sometimes helps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 4:52 AM, Axel said:

This sounds rather unlikely. You already said that the copy to library option was checked, but just to rule out one thing, choose the library and just import another clip. Does it say copy to library or copy to (i.e.) manueldomes media drive ??? You could have had the copy to library option checked in preferences, but this can be overridden in the library's inspector settings (>modify >storage locations >media).

If you read copy to library and if the library settings say in library, then this is a mystery and a mess, and you have every reason to be concerned. Then this probably is a very rare accident, I've never heard of this before. You should better post your request on 

http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx

... where you will get help. 

EDIT: hold down alt + cmd when you launch FCP X (trash preferences). This sometimes helps.

Thanks for the hint and sorry for the super late reply. The inspector-modify library settings did indeed the trick. No idea how that changed in the first place since it was different from all the other libraries I've created over the years, but anyway... I suppose I will re-consolidate the whole thing now. 

Generally though, are there performance/stability advantages to have everything inside one library file, compared to having the media files stored in separate folders?

That's a workflow decision. Not sure why you would store in folders outside of the library, probably some shared storage environment. I usually store inside the library, but don't have the libraries on my system drive. There are countless ways to do this. You could also wrap or transcode to ProRes with another app (EditReady, Kyno) and then leave files in place