Anything lighter than the Sigma 18-35 + Speedbooster for m43?

andrgl

Every month I embark on a ritual to find a lens lighter than the Sigma 18-35mm + Speedbooster combo. I never find one. :(

Native zooms are way too slow and I haven't been able to find a 1" c-mount lens.

So is this what I'm stuck with? Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic combo, but ideally I'd love for it to weigh about a half pound less.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well... physics and schtuff. You want one thing? Ya can't have the other. Such is life.

Alternatively people pick up a Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8. Of course it's a trade-off. You win some... you lose some. The Sigma just combines stellar quality with crazy sensitivity in its zoomrange... but to allow it to perform like that, it has to be big 'n heavy and unfortunately that means the smaller you want to go, the more you'll have to sacrifice. What I imagine they could do is reduce the range... like a MFT 12-24mm f/2 with both fair quality and decent dimensions/weight should be possible? But then you sorta get to a range that's not flexible enough for most people... and you might just go and use primes faster than f/2.8 already...

I assume you're inquiring for a Pocket cam? If so, and you're using the BMPCC Metabones speedbooster, have you considered the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8? In EF mount, with the speedbooster, you'll have a nice range that's smaller, lighter with OIS. And I guess it would be a... 1.6?

1 hour ago, mercer said:

I assume you're inquiring for a Pocket cam? If so, and you're using the BMPCC Metabones speedbooster, have you considered the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8? In EF mount, with the speedbooster, you'll have a nice range that's smaller, lighter with OIS. And I guess it would be a... 1.6?

Whoa, that looks like a really great option. Surprised I don't hear about people using this more, considering how reasonably priced that lens is. 

8 minutes ago, dbp said:

Whoa, that looks like a really great option. Surprised I don't hear about people using this more, considering how reasonably priced that lens is. 

Well the lens isn't nearly as well regarded as the 18-35mm but I borrowed a friend's and used it with my D5500 last year and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I thought it was pretty sharp, has a little character and the OIS worked surprisingly well.

I've seen a few handheld videos on Vimeo paired with the Pocket. It seemed to fair pretty well to me. Here's a video I found on YouTube and the guy used the combo with a simple Benro Monopod...

If you want to go that route, Tokina has been sporting a versatile line-up as well; people have been combining 'em with Panasonics since the GH2 (it used to be one of the few ways to go really wide, mounting the 11-16mm f/2.8 on a focal reducer... nice for glidecam schtuff). Before the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, that Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 was the go-to combo (and has become a Cinema ATX option as well: http://www.tokinacinema.com/11-16mmT3.html , $999 on B&H now). Quick overview of bright APS-C zooms in Canon mount: https://geizhals.eu/?cmp=1375683&cmp=1235276&cmp=934581&cmp=814123&cmp=511048&cmp=459597&cmp=219029&cmp=189159 . The Tamron f/2.8 zooms used to always be the go-to choice for T2i/550D shooters. The Sigma of course indeed sounds practical, with its optical stabilization and affordability.