Panasonic Lumix G80 / G81 unlimited recording

Frank Sonneberg

Hi,

I tried to get unlimited recording on G80 / G81 as I lost some important scenes by the camera stopping recording at 29:59.

According to different sources ther's a way to not only switch from NTSC framerates to PAl and vice versa but also remove the 30 min time limit, tested with G7 and other Panasonic models.

Here's teh procedure:

1. Switch OFF camera

2. Put Mode Dial into P

3. Press and hold DISP, AF/AE Lock and Right Cursor buttons while switching On

4. Press Playback button

5. Press and hold AF/AE Lock and Up Cursor buttons while switching Off

6. Power ON, then switch OFF. Black exclamation mark in yellow triangle will appear instead of Lumix logo

7. Reboot and camera will be in test mode

Reverting back to initial state:

1. Switch On camera

2. Put Mode Dial into P and switch to single shot mode

3. Press and hold MENU/SET and Right Cursor buttons while switching Off. Initial Settings screen will appear

On G7 IIRC only one line shows up, "G7 GH 22". That's all.

On my G81 4 lines showing up, see attached screenshot. Here I'm stuck. The only things I can do is removing [strict] by pressing DISP and changing G80 into G81 by pressing Fn4.

So my guess is, there's no way to remove the 30 min limit?

Has someone been more successful?

Cheers - Frank.

Please note that you are doing anything at your own risk.

P1090206.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yes, this is what I was hoping for, but didn't manage to get it. I could just change "G80" into "G81", but this doesn't change the time limit, of cause not, because both models are European models.

Additionally I could navigate the yellow field to the other 3 regions (EF, EB and EC, guess this ist für France, Britain and Spain?), but this doesn't change the time limit either.

So maybe there's a hidden button combination to get to G85 model or Hongkong or Australian models, but I have yet to find :(

I might be wrong, but I believe you can record indefinitely with an external recorder/monitor, additional benefits being focus peaking you can actually see, a backup SD card in case one is corrupted, a headphone jack for monitoring audio, better magnification for critical focus, and the ability to monitor with LUTs. I can't see anyone doing paid work with this camera without the benefits an external recorder/monitor provides.

For sure @jonpais , and here is another cuestion:

What will be the best suited external recorder for G80 on a budget? 

Must be a 4k recorder? if i´m not wrong, G80 hdmi can deliver 8bit 4.2.2 againt internal 4.2.0, so does a really improvement over internal recording? does codec makes a difference?

windows user here and probably future owner of a GH5...

21 minutes ago, Grimor said:

For sure @jonpais , and here is another cuestion:

What will be the best suited external recorder for G80 on a budget? 

Must be a 4k recorder? if i´m not wrong, G80 hdmi can deliver 8bit 4.2.2 againt internal 4.2.0, so does a really improvement over internal recording? does codec makes a difference?

windows user here and probably future owner of a GH5...

I wasn't even aware of it till you mentioned it, Grimor, but apparently the G80/85 does indeed output 8 bit 4:2:2. I've been using the BMD Video Assist 5" to capture ProRes 1080p and the clips look awesome on my outdated 2K iMac (2013). AFAIK, the best recorder/monitor for the price would be a Ninja Blade for something like USD 350.00. I really won't know what the difference is between internal 4K and 1080p via my recorder is until I get my new 5K iMac in a few weeks, but I'm sure there must be plenty of video comparisons online. On my current iMac, the 1080p files look just as tasty as the 4K ones. ProRes is supposed to be easier to edit. I don't own a Windows machine, so I can't really answer your question, but I'm sure someone else here can. 

Screen Shot 2017-07-23 at 4.11.22 PM.png

• Super Members
20 hours ago, Grimor said:

Probably @BTM_Pix is the one who can explain what the "service mode" does.

It is basically some additional setup that can be done when the camera is sent in for repair.

The primary useful function for end users is for PAL users to get the additional frame rates by changing the region code.

As far as I understood, the Australian version of the GX80 did not have the record time limit but there doesn't seem to be a way to get to setting up a European GX80 for example to be Australian from the region change so the best you can achieve from using the service mode (and its not a bad trick) is to get the extra frame rates.

There are also some additional diagnostic functions for errors which may be useful if you're suffering from card errors and want to determine yourself if its the cards or the camera before you send it in for repair.

It also lets you save and load ROM stuff but that is for saving and restoring user settings prior to and post repair as far as I can tell.

Here is the GX80 service manual if you want to explore it yourself.

All the Lumix cameras have the same service mode so its applicable for everyone

https://www.apotelyt.com/doc-pdf/panasonic-gx85-service-manual.pdf

1 hour ago, Grimor said:

Are you outputting 4k or 1080?

The image from @jonpais look awesome! (Nocticron maybe?)

Thanks, Grimor. The screen grab above is from the BMD Video Assist, 1080p, ProRes 4:2:2. I shot at ISO 400, SOOC. I was shooting with the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. Below is a comparison between the 4K from the G85 (top) and the 1080p file from the Video Assist (bottom). Again, ISO 400, SOOC. Incidentally, I just made a split screen clip of the two files below on a 1080p timeline, exported it and uploaded it to YouTube. YT compression just kills 1080p, so if you're planning on using a video sharing website, I'd go with 4K.

Edit: I send 4K to the Video Assist. Sorry, I didn't understand the question at first. :) 

4K.png

ProRes 1080p.png

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Thanks, Grimor. The screen grab above is from the BMD Video Assist, 1080p, ProRes 4:2:2. I shot at ISO 400, SOOC. I was shooting with the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. Below is a comparison between the 4K from the G85 (top) and the 1080p file from the Video Assist (bottom). Again, ISO 400, SOOC. Incidentally, I just made a split screen clip of the two files below on a 1080p timeline, exported it and uploaded it to YouTube. YT compression just kills 1080p, so if you're planning on using a video sharing website, I'd go with 4K.

Edit: I send 4K to the Video Assist. Sorry, I didn't understand the question at first. :) 

4K.png

ProRes 1080p.png

Looks like the Recorder does some light grading lol
The posterization and banding in dark areas is problematic though.

2 hours ago, Grimor said:

Colours are slightly different

Could be. But remember, it's in a natural light environment, I tried to select the same point on both clips for comparison, but they aren't identical. The reason being, I always trigger the camera first, the BMD VA second. The only comparison I've ever bothered watching was Hugh Brownstone's review of the 4K Video Assist, and the difference between the camera he was using (a Sony?) and the 4K ProRes was negligible. Don't worry, I'm not about to do any more testing ?- even if at home on my computer both files look almost identical, I share all my work on YT, so 4K is a must for me. If an affordable 5" 4K monitor/recorder were available here, I'd probably get that. Anyhow, the main reason I got the Video Assist was for the monitor. And if that's all you need. there are plenty of  inexpensive options. 

14 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It is basically some additional setup that can be done when the camera is sent in for repair.

The primary useful function for end users is for PAL users to get the additional frame rates by changing the region code.

As far as I understood, the Australian version of the GX80 did not have the record time limit but there doesn't seem to be a way to get to setting up a European GX80 for example to be Australian from the region change so the best you can achieve from using the service mode (and its not a bad trick) is to get the extra frame rates.

There are also some additional diagnostic functions for errors which may be useful if you're suffering from card errors and want to determine yourself if its the cards or the camera before you send it in for repair.

It also lets you save and load ROM stuff but that is for saving and restoring user settings prior to and post repair as far as I can tell.

Here is the GX80 service manual if you want to explore it yourself.

All the Lumix cameras have the same service mode so its applicable for everyone

https://www.apotelyt.com/doc-pdf/panasonic-gx85-service-manual.pdf

Thanks for the info. I looked at the service manual and as far as I understand, an european model can only be changed to the different european countries, whereas e.g. an US model G85 could be changed into model of other regions exept european model. So far, so bad (for owners of european models).

On 23.7.2017 at 8:51 AM, jonpais said:

I might be wrong, but I believe you can record indefinitely with an external recorder/monitor, additional benefits being focus peaking you can actually see, a backup SD card in case one is corrupted, a headphone jack for monitoring audio, better magnification for critical focus, and the ability to monitor with LUTs. I can't see anyone doing paid work with this camera without the benefits an external recorder/monitor provides.

thanks for pointing me to an external recorder. I have to add that I do video just on an enthusiast base, I am no pro - at least not yet, I am still at the beginning of learning (coming from many years doing photography only). Equipment is rather low here at start: 2 x G81, 2 x external micro Rode Videomicro, fast SDCards, and other accessories. So I wanted to keep it simple and cheap. But on the other hand I wanted 4K-video (abililty to zoom in post or grab frames), so I opted for the G81. An external recorder like Ninja Blade is only 2K, Ninja Flame is 4K but starting at 800€. This would lead to GH5 region price wise. And I would love to have an all in one package. Conclusion so far for me and my shooting: must get along with the recording limit somehow. Other's requirements may differ :)

• Super Members
3 hours ago, Frank Sonneberg said:

Thanks for the info. I looked at the service manual and as far as I understand, an european model can only be changed to the different european countries, whereas e.g. an US model G85 could be changed into model of other regions exept european model. So far, so bad (for owners of european models).

You were able to change to NTSC mode to get the 30p and 60p though?

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

You were able to change to NTSC mode to get the 30p and 60p though?

Good question :)

On my "UNhacked" G81 the following frame rate options appear in the menu:
4K 30p
4K 25p
4K 24p
FHD 60p
FHD 50p
FHD 30p
FHD 25p
HD 30p
HD25p

"Hacking" my 2nd G81 body doesn't change anything ref. frame rates, the same options as above show up.

BUT:
If I change the INITIAL SETTINGS to "G80" instead of "G81" the following frame rate options appear in the menu:
4K 30p
4K 24p
FHD 60p
FHD 30p
HD 30p

Hope this helps to clarify, else please ask again.

• Super Members

Ah, I see.

I only have G7 and GX80 and you have to do the region change to enable the 30p and 60p on those but the G81 has them in already.

As far as I know, the G81 is slightly different to the G80 in only one odd respect which is that it has 2X digital zoom instead of 4X. It seems really odd to have made a specific variant for Austria/Germany (and Switzerland I think) in the first place but then to have that as the differentiator. The only possible - and still far fetched - reason I could think of for that would be if a well known camera manufacturer from that region that Panasonic have a relationship would be at some point maybe be planning on producing a re-badged version of it.  

The NTSC region G85 only has the 24p/30p and 60p rates so it looks like thats the mode its in even though you've selected G80.

The golden ticket version of the camera is the Australian (and some other regions like Hong Kong) of the G85 which has all the frame rates and unlimited record time.

http://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/lumix-cameras-video-cameras/lumix-g-cameras/dmc-g85k.specs.html

Whether anyone has ever used the service mode save/load ROM function to save from an Australian region G80 and loaded it on to a European one to see if it possibly made a difference I don't know.