Any issues with LUTS available today?

Oliver Daniel

Hello everyone. 

LUTS. We all know them. We've bought them. We've made them. 

I like LUTS. They speed up the color process yet I still put ample time into further corrections and grading before and after application. 

I'm interested to hear what issues you have with LUTS available today (free and premium)? 

What's missing? 

What LUTS you feel don't work?

Bad examples? 

Good examples? 

LOG or Rec.709 or both? 

Camera matching? 

Thanks. :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Oliver,

great topic. Thanks for posting. I don´t use luts on REC709 footage, which I´ve mostly been shooting so far other than some FS700 8bit SLOG tests.

The only ones I used with success are from Juan Melara, his free Kodak and Fuji Print Luts. Some interesting results can be achieved.

But after two or three months I started to grade all my footage by hand. More reliable workflow with much better control and achieving better results regarding the final look.

Here is my latest example of 8bit REC709 footage, shot with the kewl and always fresh Panny G6:)

By the way, Oliver, we would love to see more of your awesome work in context with the cameras you shot them with.

I think you could give great BTS glimpses into the trickery of small cam big result magic! :) Well here my latest shot and hand graded piece:

I've used Leeming's LUT with both the GH4 and now the 5...it's for both CineD and VlogL and it gets them to the same color space....comes with a settings manual and his follow up support is ridiculously good for what he charges...the big advantage is that CineD is a better choice for shooting high ISO and Vlog of course for higher DR...he calls it a LUT to get you to a point to begin your grade, but I do little to the image once applied...most  the guys on DVXuser use his Luts for shooting professionally with their GH cams...he developed the first (for GH4) over a period of months with several members and through tweaking...testing and feedback, really tapped into the enormous pottential these cameras have...could not recommend it highly enough for the Pannys.

5 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Oliver,

great topic. Thanks for posting. I don´t use luts on REC709 footage, which I´ve mostly been shooting so far other than some FS700 8bit SLOG tests.

The only ones I used with success are from Juan Melara, his free Kodak and Fuji Print Luts. Some interesting results can be achieved.

But after two or three months I started to grade all my footage by hand. More reliable workflow with much better control and achieving better results regarding the final look.

Here is my latest example of 8bit REC709 footage, shot with the kewl and always fresh Panny G6:)

By the way, Oliver, we would love to see more of your awesome work in context with the cameras you shot them with.

I think you could give great BTS glimpses into the trickery of small cam big result magic! :) Well here my latest shot and hand graded piece:

Cool. 

I've got plenty more of my stuff online, on my website and Vimeo. Lots of them small cams. ;) 

I like some of the Fuji and Kodak LITS out there but some of them are very aggressive / too strong. 

I like some of James Millers DELUTS - some beautiful colours there. However I think a lot of them are aggressive as f**k!! Many are far too strong, but the good ones make up for it. 

Omeneo Primers are decent for Sony cams - they are subtle but correct the colours nicely. 

What I find with most premium LUTs is that the look is far too extreme, unnatural and sends you footage into some kind of wishy washy rainbow sick. 

I also find Filmconvert overrated, although I've been pleased with some results here and there. 

Ive made a bunch of my own too but need to tweak the crap out of them and test them properly. 

3 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

I've used Leeming's LUT with both the GH4 and now the 5...it's for both CineD and VlogL and it gets them to the same color space....comes with a settings manual and his follow up support is ridiculously good for what he charges...the big advantage is that CineD is a better choice for shooting high ISO and Vlog of course for higher DR...he calls it a LUT to get you to a point to begin your grade, but I do little to the image once applied...most  the guys on DVXuser use his Luts for shooting professionally with their GH cams...he developed the first (for GH4) over a period of months with several members and through tweaking...testing and feedback, really tapped into the enormous pottential these cameras have...could not recommend it highly enough for the Pannys.

I've seen this knocking around- will give them a go! 

12 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I like some of James Millers DELUTS - some beautiful colours there. However I think a lot of them are aggressive as f**k!! Many are far too strong, but the good ones make up for it.

Lol yup. I basically use "Ripon" at 50-80% strength and that's the only one, but it was worth it for that.

I bought the Impulz luts but haven't used them in a while. They introduce so much color noise on 8 bit footage they're not worth it. It'd be interesting to try them on some slog3 10 bit from the FS5, though.

58 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Cool. 

I've got plenty more of my stuff online, on my website and Vimeo. Lots of them small cams. ;) 

I like some of the Fuji and Kodak LITS out there but some of them are very aggressive / too strong. 

Omeneo Primers are decent for Sony cams - they are subtle but correct the colours nicely. 

What I find with most premium LUTs is that the look is far too extreme, unnatural and sends you footage into some kind of wishy washy rainbow sick. 

I also find Filmconvert overrated, although I've been pleased with some results here and there. 

Ive made a bunch of my own too but need to tweak the crap out of them and test them properly. 

I've seen this knocking around- will give them a go! 

I think he actually does it for the A6500 too...not positive though, but I know he does them for more than Panasonics.

29 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

Lol yup. I basically use "Ripon" at 50-80% strength and that's the only one, but it was worth it for that.

I bought the Impulz luts but haven't used them in a while. They introduce so much color noise on 8 bit footage they're not worth it. It'd be interesting to try them on some slog3 10 bit from the FS5, though.

Yes...ditto the Impulz luts...bought them initially with the LUT Utilty but I never use them.

I use filmconvert for color accuracy (shoots for clothing lines,product shots etc) as it helps me get usable color out of cineliked.

i use visioncolor impulz sometimes but they can REALLY exaggerate blue channel noise !

deluts is ridiculously aggressive on your footage with extremely raised blacks

right now I have been sticking with koji advance. They're not aggressive at all and are a good starting point for me. Totally gets rid of the yellow color cast and greenish yellows on my panasonic footage and thats all I ever need a lut for