Sony A9, a brief fling

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any thoughts on the touch-screen focusing?  This is the feature I'm most excited about with the next round of Sony cams.  Especially if the tracking is good after touch-focusing on a new subject.

Here's one of the only real-world tests I've seen showing the responsiveness from screen touch to focus transition.  Looks pretty good IMO.

On 7/7/2017 at 1:43 PM, Mattias Burling said:

They most likely work on a commission. If testing with your own card so you can review the photos is whats needed to make a sale, they will be happy to assist.

I do it all the time in similar stores with no fuss.

Best Buy hasn't worked on commission since the mid-90s. 

That said, my store never had a problem letting people pop a card in the camera, provided doing so didn't screw with the security hardware.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Best Buy hasn't worked on commission since the mid-90s. 

Wierd, here all big electronics chains have a fixed minimum sallary and a bonus based on sales. Specially if they encourages you to buy extras like sd cards, bags, insurance, etc.

EDIT: I have just had a quick glance so this isn't in depth facts. But I did find a blog from a guy calling himself a "Best Buy Veteran".

"One of Best Buy’s points of pride is that their employees are not paid on commission. Employees are trained to make non-commission statements, informing customers that they are simply paid a flat rate, in an attempt to gain customer trust. This can be a great benefit to the customer, but isn’t the whole story. It’s true that most customer facing employees (like Geek Squad agents or sales staff) are not paid on commission. However, sales are still incentivized in ways that create a commission-like atmosphere. For example, managers have the opportunity to make big bonuses based off of revenue/margin goals. Lower level employees can hit Blue Crew Bucks (a bonus tacked onto a paycheck). And, some employees (like Best Buy For Business) receive commission on sales. None of these practices are unethical, but giving customers the impression that sales performance isn’t rewarded is simply wrong."

• Administrators
13 hours ago, tellure said:

Here's one of the only real-world tests I've seen showing the responsiveness from screen touch to focus transition.  Looks pretty good IMO.

Find a better test that doesn't involve a big pair of tits.

On 07/07/2017 at 6:31 PM, Window_Frame said:

I want to test out an a9 at my local Best Buy, but I'm afraid they might yell at me for putting my own card into the camera for testing. Did you have any issues with that at the Sony store Andrew?

Depends on the store. Berlin and Sony's own store quite different to Best Buy, so who knows... Try it? There's an idea?! They are hardly going to arrest you.

Watch-skimmed through that whole ~1hr video but couldn't find anything on the video features in there, seems like it's all stills.

The sexism of that focusing video does suck but if you watch the responsiveness it seems pretty good.  Makes me real hopeful for the A7S3/A7R3.  Just need to see how well tracking works in video now.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, Window_Frame said:

I want to test out an a9 at my local Best Buy, but I'm afraid they might yell at me for putting my own card into the camera for testing. Did you have any issues with that at the Sony store Andrew?

Chances are the store won't have any in stock and not on the display shelves if they do. Best buy tend to sell older models mostly (at least the stores around where I live). 

14 hours ago, tugela said:

Chances are the store won't have any in stock and not on the display shelves if they do. Best buy tend to sell older models mostly (at least the stores around where I live). 

The best buy I used to work at has a couple A9s in stock right now. I'm sure they'd take it out of the box for me to try if I asked real nice. :)

53 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

The best buy I used to work at has a couple A9s in stock right now. I'm sure they'd take it out of the box for me to try if I asked real nice. :)

Not in Vancouver....the Best Buys here you are lucky to find the latest model of ANY high end camera. Even the a7 models they have on display are the original generation. It takes them ages to get current models on the floor, even with many consumer cameras.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/9/2017 at 6:34 PM, tellure said:

Watch-skimmed through that whole ~1hr video but couldn't find anything on the video features in there, seems like it's all stills.

The sexism of that focusing video does suck but if you watch the responsiveness it seems pretty good.  Makes me real hopeful for the A7S3/A7R3.  Just need to see how well tracking works in video now.

There's finally a side-to-side comparison of the 4K of the two cameras now. Slight edge to the A9 on video AF over the A7R III is apparent, though it's not a particularly challenging test for sure.

14 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Personally, the lack of picture profiles in A9 makes it a nogo for video. AF looks to me pretty much the same. 

Then there is the difference in resolution:

5a70b5cea0407_ScreenShot2018-01-30at12_10_18PM.thumb.png.a02d3056915533a0fa1b2bdc142916f4.png

I noticed that too, but I think that was user error by the reviewer. Maybe the A9 shot is not in focus?

Both are being oversampled. Hard to think of a reason why full readout of 24 mpix (A9 FF resolution) would give you a mushier image than full readout of 18 mpix (the super 35 sensor area of the R III).