Dyaliscope 35mm anamorphic projector lens

Stewart Atkin

I recently bought the Dyaliscope anamorphic 35mm projector lens. When I first got it I could adjust the focus ring but it was very stiff. Now it is totally jammed. I get clear images with diopters but infinity is a bit soft. I've taken it apart a few times but can't seem to get it un jammed. Has anyone had any experiemce taking these lenses apart? There is very little if any info available on these French lenses.  Pictured below is a similar lens

dyaliscope showing marking.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi Stewart, 

By the look of your name, I doubt your french, but if you are, I'd like to take a look and see if I can repair it :) 

There is usefull information about Dyaliscopes here : https://sites.google.com/site/filmoscopefr/dyaliscope but it's all in french (which is okay for me, but I understand that many people don't wanna learn french as difficult as it is !)

10 hours ago, Stewart Atkin said:

I live in Montreal and I do speak french and can read it. I have gone thru those pages but I just need to know if there was a disassembly guide or at least someone that has already dismantled these lenses.

I don't have experience with that specific lens, but most lenses of this type are almost always accessible by removing the focus ring. Use the correct sized precision screwdriver to unscrew how the focus ring is attached. Once unscrewed it should then slide to the rear of the lens out of the way to reveal the helicoid. You then should be able to acces the seized helicoid to remove the old dried grease..do this by applying damp Q-tips with lighter fluid. If stuck very firmly, it may require a few attempts for it to become unlocked. Re-attach focus ring and slowly work the focus to become smooth again. If you want to replace the old grease, it is best to remove any traces of the old, then replace with modern white lithium grease (better for larger lenses like that).