Fujifilm X-E2S

Tim Sewell

I've seen a lot of praise on here for Fuji cameras. I need a compact mirrorless with an EVF (so I can use my classic primes) purely for stills photography. I can't afford to spend a lot and I've come across the Fujifilm X-E2s. Does anyone have any experience and opinions on this camera - purely for stills?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I've used the same sensor in a different (even more compact) body which was the X-M1. 

Image quality was good but it just didn't work for me really without having an EVF.

So, the XE2s would've resolved that for me and I'd have probably kept it.

One thing I'd say though is also have a look at the X-T10. They've come down in price a fair amount since the X-T20 was launched and give you an articulating screen and extra dial with only a a small increase in footprint. Internally they are identical.

They are even cheaper than the XE2s in a lot of places.

I think MPB might be quite local to you?

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-compact-system-cameras/used-fuji-x-series-cameras/fuji-x-t10/

An X-E2 with the last firmware update is almost an X-E2S and a lot cheaper used. I assume you are buying used. What is your budget? The X-T1 is pretty cheap used. 

That at being said, I would enjoy using legacy glass on an A7 or A7ii a lot more - more of the character will come thru and I prefer using such glass without the crop factor. 

16 minutes ago, darrellcraig said:

An X-E2 with the last firmware update is almost an X-E2S and a lot cheaper used. I assume you are buying used. What is your budget? The X-T1 is pretty cheap used. 

That at being said, I would enjoy using legacy glass on an A7 or A7ii a lot more - more of the character will come thru and I prefer using such glass without the crop factor. 

$150 speed booster. Done.

• Super Members

Ex2, xt10, xt1 and xpro1 all cost about the same used.

The only one I personally dislike is the xt10, purley for the grip. Its a very unbalanced camera as soon as you put on a nice lens. I couldn't keep it.

The EX2 is basically a x100t with interchangeable lenses. In other words pretty nice.

Thanks for the pointers. As it happens, shortly after I posted this question I came across a X-E1 for £145 on ebay, so I ordered it. seems like a cheap way to see if I like the overall Fuji 'thang'. It has an EVF, which was the most important thing and the film simulation modes, which I'm interested to try. The online reviews for it all seem pretty impressed, overall. I've also ordered a dumb adapter for my lenses, which are all adapted to EF. So we'll see - I'm quite excited.

9 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ex2, xt10, xt1 and xpro1 all cost about the same used.

The only one I personally dislike is the xt10, purley for the grip. Its a very unbalanced camera as soon as you put on a nice lens. I couldn't keep it.

The EX2 is basically a x100t with interchangeable lenses. In other words pretty nice.

I have an X-T1, and looking at the price drop on the used market I can recommend it ! Like a lot.

Just add a Mitakon lens turbo II and your good to go :)

• Super Members

Cool, Fuji images definitely have some mojo in them.
I hope (know) you will enjoy it.

And so far I like the old 16mp sensor more than the new 20-something that sits in my XT2.
The even older 12mp is cool as well.
But the 56mm I unboxed yesterday gave it new look :)

56mm.md.jpg

Hopefully I will get an email today from a fellow interested in swapping his X-Pro2 for my X-T2.
Would be a deadly combo with the 56mm.
Fingers crossed :) 

@Mattias Burling I know you're primarily a stills shooter and the Xpro2 is aimed at stills photographers. Could you say what prompted you to get the X-T2 in the first place? Incidentally, I love mine in spite of all the quirks, and plan on using it when I begin work on a narrative short, which hopefully will happen before I'm diagnosed with liver disease or cancer. Sorry for being so morbid!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

@Mattias Burling I know you're primarily a stills shooter and the Xpro2 is aimed at stills photographers. Could you say what prompted you to get the X-T2 in the first place?

It was a result of an analysis of needs/wants I guess.
For my stills shooting I'm 90% satisfied with a premium compact like a X70/GRii/DP1. It covers me for all hobby use.
But I needed an interchangeable lens camera for my vintage glass and general tele shooting occasions.
After loosing my beloved Leica T I had to buy another camera and made the following criterias:

• Short flange
  • EVF or OVF
  • APS-C or FF
  • AF
  • External controls
  • Video (good enough for youtube)
  • Nice colors/image

So the true contenders where Fuji XE2, XT1, Xpro1, A7, NX1, etc, etc.
Something like the X-T1 is just a few hundred dollars and almost a no brainer. But since its for mostly tele shots I wanted high resolution so I can crop more.
Normally I'm all for 12mp, or even lower being enough for 90% of all use.
But this camera is for the other 10%.

At the same time I was tasked to buy new equipment for the company I work for. Its supposed to cover "in house needs".
I ended up settling for an X-T20.
During the research I came to the conclusion that it ticked all my boxes as well.

Happy as one can be I stepped into the local camera store in my home town. Its a small place but we are still fortunate to have a camera shop that carries all brands. Even Pentax.
As soon as I put my hands on the X-T20 I remembered why I sold the X-T10....
That awful grip. I just cant stand it.

Next to it was the X-T2. Same camera with some added features but a better grip. So I bought it.

I like the camera, it is truly great. For video its really nice. Ever since I updated and got the histogram and ability to change ISO while recording I really don't have any complaints.
My major doubts about it have all been on the stills side. I like it but cant seem to love.
That's why I'm giving the X-Pro2 a go instead.

But I can add that I've stopped using my camera at work and instead used the X-T2 professionally for articles, marketing material, etc.
And for that its absolutely splendid. If I was a full time pro photographer and not a producer I would have an X-T2. No doubt in my mind.
Sports, news, event, all that.. perfect camera.
But that's not what my interchangeable camera is supposed to do.