Cheap wide glass for 5D mark IV? looking for recommendations

Christina Ava

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
6 hours ago, Christina Ava said:

Hello, im looking into wide lenses to get over the crop factor in 4k in the 5d mark 4

any suggestions for lenses would be great, my widest at the moment is the 35 canon 1.4 and a 40mm voightlander

im looking for lenses that are cheap and work on the new canon

thanks!

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 would be my favourite.

The Samyang 14 and 11-16 not too great. Nikon 14mm F2.8 AF-D is much nicer.

Sigma 20mm F1.4 would also be superb, although not as wide as your 14's and 17's obviously.

You can also pop the cap off the Canon EF-S lenses like 17-50mm F2.8 and 18-135mm, and they will fit like a charm :)

+1 For the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 (but has not filter thread)

The 14mm f2.8 Samyang is great for the price ($300) but no filter thread either and it has a weird mustache distortion (noticable with 5Dmk4 crop in video ?)

The Tokina 11-16 is also a great lens with a 77mm filter thread, the V1 is very affordable but has a lot of CA. Built like a tank with a nice hard stop on manual focus at infinity (at least my version)

Sigma 20mm is wonderful as well but no filter thread.

Then there is the "native" EF 11-24 f4 is you really want to go wide. It has a back filter slot but the beauty is $3k...

Another vote for the 18-35mm (I'm selling mine if you're interested.... but I'm in the US). AMAZING lens. As sharp as many $40k cine zooms, faster than cine zooms, and par focal. Diffraction limited wide open in the center. Good rendering, too, feels apochromatic. Ridiculously good. But it's not that wide. It's as wide as I need to go and as wide as "classical" lenses go but for that John Woo/Terry Gilliam/Michael Bay look you gotta go wider and tackier.... This lens is a classic, though. A+.

The 14mm Samyang has too much distortion imo. It's okay but kind of gross for video. A lot less bad cropped than it is at FF, though. Also a lot less wide. :( C+

11-16mm Tokina is fine. Not exciting rendering and high flare and some CA but I find it to be quite good. Sharp. An okay look. Very low distortion. 11-20mm is a little better. Neither have a lot of character.  B

The 18-55mm kit lens is not horrible but you'd need to remove the EF-S tab. It's not that good... but it's really not that bad and for its price used it's a big winner. And it has very good IS. Too bad about the EF-S tab. It's a decent lens. I (incomplete)

Or maybe sigma 8-16? I have just bought it for ursa mini 4.6k, @8mm it covers full sensor (1.4x crop) with only very slight darker left and right edges (due to lens hood). I am really impressed, it is quite dark 4.5-5.6 and cannot take filters (that was my two main concerns) but i took the shot and it seems to be an exceptional lens! I have bought it used for the price of used tokina 11-16. @16mm it covers full frame.

Thank you guys, im looking at the sigma lines, every time its the same thing i look all the lenses and end up selling a kidney and buying canon... my options so far are Voigtlander Color Skopar 20mm f/3.5 SL-II and canon EFS 17-55mm f/2.8 

the sigma 18-35 as proposed by most is unusable where i live I need a vND as the sunlight is scorching everything..

about the tokinas...well i have managed to stay clear of them all these years! you could use a plastic lens and get better footage.

i need a wide lens so that i get a 35mm or even standard 50mm when in crop mode 4k

thank you for all the input!

6 hours ago, aldolega said:

Why couldn't you use a vND with the 18-35? It has a normal filter thread.

@Christina Ava Can confirm this. Can also confirm this lens deserves all the praise it gets. Buy used for even more of a steal (although a small investment in the Sigma USB dock is recommended).

Suprised no-one mentions the very cheap Canon 10-18mm with IS. You gotta mod the EF-s mount, but that should be easy. See below.