Keeping your camera non-threatening

UncleBobsPhotography

I am mostly shooting documentary style or social events (mostly photography but also some video) and when I switched from a DSLR to my RX1RMII, the difference in how much more relaxed my subjects were was staggering. It is treated as a toy camera, and during my last shoot I was even asked why I didn't bring my real camera. Even though the image quality is a clear improvement, the largest improvement is how the camera is perceived.

Now to my issue: when I shoot video I am using the Sennheiser MKE400 connected to the Tascam DR-10CS. This alone makes my camera more intimidating, but it's often necessary to add a deadcat to my Sennheiser and then my camera is no longer innocent looking. Any tips on how to add a non-threatening sound system? I can of course add lav mics to myself and key people, but I need some kind of on-camera sound as well.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You could try these - http://micromuff.com/ on your internal mic's. I have them on my A7r2 and the stereo image and sound quality is not that terrible in higher sound level environments. They are a bit flawed as the velcro lets in the wind so I removed it and stuck them on with double sided tape. You could also just buy some fake fur and DIY. You could add some LAV omnis to the camera or on some headphones in a binaural setup for capturing better quality 'imersive' sound in a stealthy way but for directional sound the mics by their design are less forgiving of wind so need large wind protection systems. 

I'm assuming the RX1R doesn't have a mic in, and that's why you use the Tascam? In that case, ShureVP83F. About the same size as a Rode VodeoMic Pro or your Sennheiser (so, fairly small), but it has a built-in recorder.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966010-REG/shure_vp83f_condenser_shotgun_mic.html

Doesn't solve the deadcat issue though.

7 minutes ago, aldolega said:

I'm assuming the RX1R doesn't have a mic in, and that's why you use the Tascam? In that case, ShureVP83F. About the same size as a Rode VodeoMic Pro or your Sennheiser (so, fairly small), but it has a built-in recorder.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966010-REG/shure_vp83f_condenser_shotgun_mic.html

Doesn't solve the deadcat issue though.

The RX1RM2 does have a mic input, but I've not been able to get results I'm happy with. Even when the automatic gain control is under control, I find the Tascam to be significantly better. The DR-10CS is so small that it's not really a problem. I attach it to my camera strap and it's hardly noticeable, the microphone much less so.

• Super Members

This is a bit of an alternative to consider - and the big caveat here is that you've stated you will use lav mics for key audio elements - so is based on you needing something discrete for general wide field capture on camera.

I'll do a specific thread about these at some point but the Roland CS-10EM binaural microphone/headphone system is something that could well be worth a look.

Not only do they provide a very interesting and immersive stereo recording but as they just look like regular earbud headphones they are incredibly discreet and of course completely non-threatening.

They have foam shields which are essential outdoors but, again, they don't look out of place.

You could modify deadcat material to them and just pass it off as excessive ear hair if you are of a certain age such as myself ;)

They are the sort of thing you'd have to demo to make sure that they were right for you but I think they might just work for what you're describing, particularly if its for social event coverage.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROLAND-CS-10EM-Roland/dp/B003QGPCTE

87096_l.jpg

I built my own system out of some electret capsules and earplugs similar to that Roland CS-10EM kit which I use to stealthily bootleg live music. It works really nicely, captures a realistic mbience which sounds especially great on headphones. Obviously it's not very directional so if there's lots of ambient noise and you're trying to record someone speaking it won't work too well. Basically it'll capture exactly what you would hear and nothing more.