Enabling 10bit raw video on the mini Canon 100D

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

DSC01302b.jpg

The Canon 100D is £250 used and I have always had a bit of a soft spot for it, being the smallest and lightest Canon DSLR body.

I recently installed an experimental version of Magic Lantern on the 100D and am absolutely taken-aback by how good the image is!

It practically eliminates moire and softness. The 100D shoots continuous 1.7K RAW video in 25p and 24p to SD card.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Moire is not 100% absolutely completely gone but it is FAR better than the 100D out of the box video mode!

Yes a good second unit to a 5D3, but it depends on how you use it. The 70D is double the price but has the benefit of articulated screen and Dual Pixel AF.

I have always had a soft spot for the 100D though with it being so small and light compared to 5D3 and even the 70D.

80D, EOS M5 have a brighter future if ML port ever comes to fruition, which I think it will do eventually!

6 minutes ago, alanpoiuyt said:

This guy shoots amazing stuff on an eos M with Magic Lantern & crop mode

That looks amazing. I just read the comments and he didn't even use Raw in that video. I think it was just the bitrate hack. It looks great though. That crop mode is amazing. 

Actually I'm not even sure he uses the bitrate hack. 

5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Moire is not 100% absolutely completely gone but it is FAR better than the 100D out of the box video mode!

Yes a good second unit to a 5D3, but it depends on how you use it. The 70D is double the price but has the benefit of articulated screen and Dual Pixel AF.

I have always had a soft spot for the 100D though with it being so small and light compared to 5D3 and even the 70D.

80D, EOS M5 have a brighter future if ML port ever comes to fruition, which I think it will do eventually!

Well, I primarily use the 24-70mm f/4 handheld, and am planning on buying that 35mm f/2. My friend also has the 28-135mm, so I was thinking the SL1 could sit in my bag in crop mode. Then when using a prime, but need a quick long shot or some range, I could pull out the SL1. Or maybe it would be a good camera to have the 100mm L macro living on it. Is crop mode a 3X crop of the aps-c? Or is it 5X?

7 hours ago, cantsin said:

I tried, but it doesn't work....

Right... Did you try turning off your computer and then turning it back on?  I've heard that doing so is the best remedy for oversimplified anecdotal computer problems.

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

MLVFS needs FUSE on MacOS, and it does work on Linux but I'd question why you'd even bother with it on Android as the mobile processors don't exactly cut through RAW video in Resolve, do they....

Actually, Android can run on x86 processors, and, as I recall, Android was briefly listed as a Linux distribution on Distrowatch in its early days, prior to the Google acquisition.

However, I didn't mention the possibility of using MLVFS on Android to suggest that someone should try it.  You left out an important OS that runs MLVFS (Linux), and I was merely giving another example of an OS (Android Linux) on which MLVFS could work.  MLVFS is open source software, so it can probably be compiled to work on several other platforms (the BSDs notwithstanding).

• Administrators
4 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Does this work at 24fps 16:9 at 10 bit or is it scope only?

If you drop the horizontal resolution (it increases the crop though) you can shoot 16:9

7 hours ago, tupp said:

Actually, Android can run on x86 processors, and, as I recall, Android was briefly listed as a Linux distribution on Distrowatch in its early days, prior to the Google acquisition.

Yeah there is a version for x86, I tried installing it once on the Samsung Tab S Pro (Windows 10 tablet) and it can be installed on the Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

The problems is the drivers aren't always reliable so you have missing WiFi, etc. and it needs patching up to work properly... depending on the hardware.

Check out ReMix OS. They sell Android x86 pre-installed on tablets that they have programmed it to works on.

Issue is still performance and app selection vs MacOS and Windows, it's just not as good for raw video. It's a novelty.

21 hours ago, mercer said:

Read the article, Reid has screengrabs from clips he took with it.

it is ~720p before debeyering, so it is still going to be soft compared to modern hybrid cameras. There is not much you can do about that. Good for the average laptop or cell phone using YouTube, but falling short compared to an oversampled 4K camera when it comes to displaying on a big 4K TV screen.

15 minutes ago, tugela said:

it is ~720p before debeyering, so it is still going to be soft compared to modern hybrid cameras. There is not much you can do about that. Good for the average laptop or cell phone using YouTube, but falling short compared to an oversampled 4K camera when it comes to displaying on a big 4K TV screen.

Do i read in another topic there is a complain that RED Weapon's 8K is too "sharp" and you complaining here that a 300 eur camera is too soft even if it's shoots raw? i know, your iphone 7 has better resolution and log with filmic pro... You should read the article...

Mr. Reid, how did you come up with the resolution of 1.7K RAW for the 100D's magic lantern video? I ask only because I have suspected for a while now that indeed the resolution produced from my 7D with ML MLV video looked almost twice as sharp as its native h.264 codec video and in my head I thought it was probably around 1.5K.