Enabling 10bit raw video on the mini Canon 100D

Andrew Reid

18 hours ago, tupp said:

Right... Did you try turning off your computer and then turning it back on?  I've heard that doing so is the best remedy for oversimplified anecdotal computer problems.

I should have been more specific: The Makefile doesn't work with Linux (because of a lack of specified targets), and the Windows version doesn't work because of a weird dependency of the FUSE replacement software on an outmoded, uninstallable version of the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime.

This looks like software that should run on Linux and Windows in theory, but is being written by developers who neither use these two systems, nor run tests on them.

EDIT: My bad. Made a mistake compiling, pulling the fresh repository via git and then running make solved the issue.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Deadcode said:

Do i read in another topic there is a complain that RED Weapon's 8K is too "sharp" and you complaining here that a 300 eur camera is too soft even if it's shoots raw? i know, your iphone 7 has better resolution and log with filmic pro... You should read the article...

Just saying what it is man. Sorry if you don't like it.

The paradigm that a lot of people seem to have here is based on viewing devices from a decade ago. Things have moved on, and what was "good enough" back then is not good enough now. And going forward into the future as viewing devices become even larger and even higher resolution, that decade old paradigm is going to become even less competitive. At the very least you need oversampled 1080p footage to be acceptable, and 720p par-sampled RAW is not there, no matter how much you try to tweak it.

i was watching some 8k weapon videos on my ~1080p tv~ and my mind was blown by the upper limits of what 1920x1080 can actually resolve... i feel like quite a few people confuse the resolution of a viewing screen with the actual amount of information that grid of pixels can display...

anyway, horses for courses~! im making all kinds of different stuff atm that i may want to have a higher/lower resolution, depending on the project/scene/etc, ykno?

personally love the look of this

xf615_0381.jpg

xf401_0855.jpg

for my narrative work in a general sense. i could extoll the merits ad nauseam

there is not a whopping amount of resolution here. 5d3 raw is a p darn good way to get a look A LOT like this, thats why i love it~!!! and i just subjectively think that its pretty

in that spirit, thats why i like this

100d-dng.jpg

better than tons of stuff out there, despite resolution etc. it feels really good to me ?  it has a naturalistic feeling that i think is more or less unique in video

besides, a few hundred bucks for one of these~? SUPER COOL

HELL YEAH to magic lantern for all these sicc recent developments, great article @Andrew Reid

c2f87e0139b6412a1e0f98c918268b43--drinki

21 minutes ago, Hugues Canadaa said:

Hi,

I'm considering switching from a panasonic G6 to this thing just to get that RAW recording as the G6 lacks flat profiles and higher bit-rate ( and a great colour science too ), does it have any sense?

Superb article @Andrew Reid! So happy to see some affordable stuff!

yes, i had a g6 and imo youd be way better off. less resolution but WAY more soul

the depth of the color just annihilates the g6's comparably thin image

man im a hot mess tonight i meant red helium. you KNOW!! these names are amazing whats next

anyway, i challenge you to watch the video below on a 1080p screen in 4k or above res on youtube and tell me that youre used to seeing 1080 video with such clarity

sorry about multiple ZG like posts

I am not impressed at all from such videos.

Most of us we would be able to do something similar if we had the time and money to be in the right spots in Patagonia for a couple of weeks.

The epic music, without anything happen at all is lame too.

Planet Earth I in blue ray is a great achievement in my opinion with the story being King (as it should) and sight and sound follow (as it must) - Planet Earth number II, not so great, even better technically, newer cameras and the such, not that great story wise.

@Kisaha

I am not impressed at all from such videos.

Most of us we would be able to do something similar if we had the time and money to be in the right spots in Patagonia for a couple of weeks.

I disagree completely. This film gives the audience an idea about beautiful Patagonia. And people like "epic landscape" videos, as you can see on the basis of more than 4.630.000 views. That's content people like - a mixture of information and aesthetics.

In any case much more interesting and demanding than filming  bland, unimaginative flowers, fences and leaf "test footage" lacking any kind of content or information for general interest audience.

1 minute ago, Arikhan said:

@Kisaha

I disagree completely. This film gives the audience an idea about beautiful Patagonia. And people like "epic landscape" videos, as you can see the more than 4.630.000 views. It's content people like - a mixture of information and aesthetics.

In any case much more interesting and demanding than filming  bland, unimaginative flowers, fences and leaf "test footage" lacking any kind of content or information for general interest audience.

You obviously didn't read the 5 lightly written sentences of my post.

I clearly stated the Planet Earth I as a great example of a mix of sight/sound and a plot.

Everything has been timelapsed in this planet, and beyond. Even you, would be able to bring some great timelapses if you left for a couple of weeks in the 8 best spots in Patagonia, even with your NX1!

Have you seen some of the Planet Earth's "seasonal" or "growth" timelapses?

I do not know what you mean by "flowers", "fences" and other garden related words, but those ain't my cup of tea either, and certainly not my words.

On a more philosophical (and practical note), Views, likes, and the such doesn't mean a lot to me, check the links (from 2013 and 2014) about people in India, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan and elsewhere, earning 1$ for each 1000likes/follows/vote/click, whatever you want to buy with your hard earned $ !!

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/530961/the-hidden-world-of-facebook-like-farms/

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/aug/02/click-farms-appearance-online-popularity

@Kisaha

Full ACK. You can do timelapsing in this style with nearly every contemporary camera. But that's not the point - the clue is to DO IT. Travel to Patangonia/Alaska/Cuba, etc. and do some interesting and informative (timelapse) video or photography. It's a much bigger effort than slowly moving out of the house in the garden or on the next street around the corner and filming around. And to be honest, there is no private garden offerring the same great (epic) impressions as the landscapes that can be seen in this video.

It's much harder to fake YT views nowadays than you would believe. Google is no more as dumb as years ago to count hundreds of thousands of India/Bangladesh/Russia YT views for eg a German/Greek video with only 500 real views from German/Greek IPs. Above this, there are hundreds of interesting YT travel channel videos with many millions REAL views of 4k landscape footage - because it's much more interesting (and valuable) for people than contentless "4k video tests" of garden flowers and fences. 

BTW: My NX1 is no more in usage...

@Kisaha

a lot of gardens and flowers

The main attraction in this video is the beautiful girl singing...Not gardens and flowers...

What i mean with my post above, is that real content ( and not test footage ) will ALWAYS get more audience than "made for pixel criticism" videos. And that's the main point: whereever you are an artist without any financial interest, or an pro who makes a living out of his video work, nowadays you need an interested audience.

And as already said, there will always be a vast audience for beautiful and informative landscape and travel videos ("Patagonia 4k"). Same for music videos with such a beautiful singer as in your video...

Try to get 0,5 Million views for a video containing test footage from a XYZ camera - full of flowers, leafs, tree trunk, etc..No go...

6 hours ago, tweak said:

They are all just time-lapses though... would it not have been easier to just take a regular camera to those places and shoot pictures?

Sorry I thought he was saying it was shot on Red, I should have checked the description on YT. My mistake.

Andrew, I recently picked up a 100d on eBay and loaded ML onto it with the build you posted in your write up. Two questions I have is, would a U3 or U1 64GB SD card be better for this build? And also, is there a way to keep the overlays and cine 2.35 letterbox on the screen during recording? All the overlays seem to go away upon hitting record. ML is super fun to play with, thanks for sharing your findings!