Thoughts on the EF 24-70 F4

Shirozina

Anyone using this for video? (particularly APS-C on A7r2) My only reservation is the resolution drop in the mid range but does this really show on what is effectively 8mp ( UHD). For locked down shots I have the superb Contax 35-70 F3.4 but I want something with AF and an effective IS. I know the 24-105 is the 'go-to' lens for video but the 24-70 is smaller, has less distortion and CA, better IS and more light transmission.I also have the EF 16-35 F4 and EF 70-200 IS USM. Cost wise they are very close on the used market (not the MKII version). I wan't to future proof my lenses and stick with the EF mount so have discounted the Sony 24-70 F4.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm looking into this focal length at the moment as I want to replace my 24-105mm L lens. It's been such a great workhorse, but after using the 24-70 2.8 GM lens I was blown away by how muddy and unsharp it was. I've looked into the Tamron 24-70 2.8 lens which is relatively cheap, that might also be worth a look?

11 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I've looked into the Tamron 24-70 2.8 lens which is relatively cheap, that might also be worth a look?

Good tip - I'll look into this. I think I was put off by the size and larger filter at the front but shooting APS-C I can use a step down to 77mm and not worry about it.

I sometimes use the Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 with a speedbooster that makes it approx. a 19-50 f2.0. The range is enough most of the time, the "effective" f2.0 makes it very versatile and it is very pleasing to have hard stops at both ends of the focus ring -even if the throw is not very long, just like with any other stills lens-.

I have the 24-70mm f4 and use it with the 5D3 and ML Raw. It's an amazing lens. The IS is superb and can look like it was shot from a tripod. On FF f/4 is also fast enough for SOME shallow depth. A great all around lens that lives on my 5D3. Here are some screengrabs, all shot handheld to give you an idea...

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

2 hours ago, Shirozina said:

The Tamron is big, heavy, has horrendous distortion and (wide open) hopelessly outclassed in resolution by my 35-70 Contax. I'll return it and wait to see how the new Sigma and Tamron 24-70's perform but after playing with it for 1/2 a day I'm suddenly I'm not so convinced that I 'need' anything to replace the Contax. 

Youch, thanks for posting your thoughts. Here's hoping there's a new Sigma E-Mount lens coming later this year that fills that gap.