Sony Cameras - Analysis Paralysis

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

More of a vent than anything and I know Panasonic are just as bad but....

All I wanted was a little travel camera.....

I thought to myself "I quite fancy an RX100 IV. Genuinely pocketable, vloggable, a bit of slo-mo (which I don't really have), slog2 so it can be pushed a bit more.....and I can have a play about to see if I can get my hardware controller to be Sony compatible too"

Easy.

And then I started the, "Mmmm....the mark V though, better IS, touch screen"

"Yeah but its so much dearer"

"We're into A6300 territory there"

"But then if we're going there, why not go a bit further and get the A6500"

"No lenses though"

"Yes but we've got a few Canon ones and they can be mounted cheaply. And with AF too"

"Stop it now, its getting really expensive and way out of what we wanted"

"OK, RX100 IV then"

"Mind you, the RX10 III does all of that and more and has a 600mm equivalent lens"

"Yes but now we're back in A6500 price range"

"OK, how about the RX10 II, its way cheaper and has NDs"

"Great idea. Not pocketable though"

"OK, RX100 IV then"

"You'll regret not getting the V though"

"Shut up, its too much to be paying for a tiny sensor as it is"

I've been like this cat for about a week now. 

vdLE8dJ.gif

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Find the one that responds to protocols over HTTP and get that one :)

I know what you mean though - I have the same dilemmas, in the end Mk IV has stood the test of time and I didn't feel upgraditus coming on... The A6300 and A6500 on the other hand, I regret buying.

• Super Members
45 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I know what you mean though - I have the same dilemmas, in the end Mk IV has stood the test of time and I didn't feel upgraditus coming on... The A6300 and A6500 on the other hand, I regret buying.

I think I've decided on the Mk V.

Figure if I get the Mk IV then I'm already in pain over paying north of £700 for something like this that I might as well roll over completely.

I'll order spare batteries for it off Amazon now. That usually does the trick for pushing me over the edge!  

And, yes, I'll also be installing their app in readiness to see what we can do with it.

3 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'll order spare batteries for it off Amazon now. That usually does the trick for pushing me over the edge!  

Just as a warning, most of the online Sony NP-BX1 batteries are extremely convincing counterfit batteries. If I was going to buy them on-line I would have bought off-label NP-BX1s.

You chose wisely. Of all these Sony cameras that I owned or used (RX100 IV, V, RX10 II, A6300, A7S II), the one that amazes me the most is the RX100 V. The mark IV is nice, but having this awesome AF allows gimbal work or just not caring about being in focus is worth the upgrade. Its low profile/image quality has no match in any other brand, it is a technical marvel. I'm less forgiving of all the sony quirks (battery life, screen diming, weird WB in slog2) with the other cameras, as they are bigger and tend to be use in a professional environment.

Ever since I got IP7+ I dont use cameras much to take photos, I got the smallish A5100 which is excellent photog/vlog camera with good video AF, though I mostly use it for timelapse and astro photography which dont use AF at all. Most of the time I just use the phone, you can get zoom and nice fake bokeh, video quality is pretty decent and always with you.

My mate's GF use her rx100iv alot, the a7s has been left in the cabinet pretty much.  Pretty sad to see A7S from most used to shelf warmer in few months time.

13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I thought to myself "I quite fancy an RX100 IV. Genuinely pocketable, vloggable, a bit of slo-mo (which I don't really have), slog2 so it can be pushed a bit more.....and I can have a play about to see if I can get my hardware controller to be Sony compatible too"

Easy.

And then I started the, "Mmmm....the mark V though, better IS, touch screen"

My v5 has neither of those. Is there a v6 out with them?

I don't think there's a better compact and the line has stayed at the top for what, 6 years now? The video colour comes right with the eoshd settings. 

For video note that it overheats after 5 min, short battery life, no (or very little) stabilisation. But super camera though. And I mean S UU PP EERRRR

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why do you regret buying them???

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

My v5 has neither of those. Is there a v6 out with them?

I don't think there's a better compact and the line has stayed at the top for what, 6 years now? The video colour comes right with the eoshd settings. 

For video note that it overheats after 5 min, short battery life, no (or very little) stabilisation. But super camera though. And I mean S UU PP EERRRR

Hahaha

See what I mean?

The whole process got me so rattled that I started mixing up my internal arguments!

I'll end up getting none of them at this rate.

Love my rx1004...

Given the harsh treatment mine has taken, it's a rugged little thing ideal for travel. I'll have no hesitation in buying a 1005 or 1006 in due course. 

No it's not a BMMCC. It's not a C200/GH5 etc etc... But chances are it'll be in my pocket/bag! (And yes, so will my iPhone...)

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Just get yourself a RX100 II dirt cheap, and keep the other money saved up for when the RX100 XVII comes out next year after next.

I was on the verge of something similar but then @Orangenz sent me an hfr clip of him popping water balloons on his RX100 V and it was all over.

I was simply powerless to resist after that.

I like the RX100 IV that I have. But, it has serious deficiencies that remain in the V version - the overheating problem is worse than any Sony camera. I mean you cannot use the camera in high ambient heat settings and take 4K video. The camera will just stop after a few minutes of short clips. that is the true "paralysis." In the same exact settings the A7s ii just does fine. Second, the focus peaking is worthless, giving you no clue as to what is in focus. Forget manual focus (there is no magnify on the IV in 4K either, but I believe at least this was fixed for the V).

• Super Members

The camera will be cooled with all the water balloon popping action for at least the  first month.

I presume external USB battery pack will mitigate the heat issue a little? 

If it doesn't then I'm going to have to buy it a little fan as this is the weather forecast on my local TV most days 

scorchio.jpg

• Super Members

On a serious note though, considering this is a consumer camera and all, how does this overheating not utterly trash Sony with the wider public if its so endemic?

Even in their own domestic market it must be a massive problem surely? I haven't been to Tokyo or Osaka for a few years but whenever I was working there in the summer it wasn't exactly tepid so I don't get how consumers would just put up with it to be honest. For enthusiasts, they will accept stuff like this because they are getting a bargain in relative terms so will work around it. But for a consumer this is an absolutely top end camera that they'd surely expect to be able to use without a second thought? I can't imagine consumers are shy about just putting it in record and leaving it running while their little angel or pet performs their party piece. And running. And running.

Unless they all had Samsung smartphones and think 'no,no,I think you'll find the RX100 runs a little cool'.

Strange.

It has only ever been a problem shooting my GH5 unboxing video in 4k. Where I sat down and tried to record 7-14 minute 4k clips in a 36C+ room. It is software limited to 5min so needs a pause after that. In all other shooting situations that pause happens naturally here in chilly nz. I adjust the LCD screen away from the back of the camera so that helps. I did the unboxing using an external feelworld monitor which probably didn't help battery life.