5K resolution with at least 16 stops...

FilmMan

Red Scarlet upgrade  (amazing times).  Old news now.  I'm not sure if anyone posted this, so don't "shoot" me if they have. 

From the Red Site.

2 Simple Options.

#1. Trade in your Scarlet to Full Epic-X (including new black body) - $9500. After that.. you can upgrade your Epic-X to Full Epic Dragon through the normal Epic-X to Dragon process.

#2. Upgrade your Scarlet to Scarlet Dragon - $9500 ( keep your grey body ) Get all the dynamic range and new color science of the Dragon with a max framerate of 5K 60fps. Full specs to come soon.

Pre-orders begin this Thursday. Upgrades begin July.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do they mention if they will ever sell Dragon Scarlets, in store? Or is this a one time only thing?

I'm gonna take the 16 stops DR with a pinch of salt.... They said the mysterium had 12 stops, turned out to be more like 10... they said the MX has 13.5 stops, more like 12. If it has 14 usable stops though, that is plenty.

I'll be keeping my eye on it, that's for sure. 5K/60p good low light and 14+ stops would check most of my boxes.

@screenspro,  good questions.  Scarlet with 5K and if at least 14 stops (even though Red touts at least 16 stops); it would be amazing.  The BMC  is/has probably pushing Red?   I'm always thinking a company should be very aggressive with their pricing and try to secure as much of the market - leads to further accessories sales.  Once a company loses market share, it is difficult to get the customer back.   It will be interesting if Red will have a Scarlet with Dragon Sensor in its store.  It would make sense especially with the BMC 4K coming on the scene.

Still around $20K.  With Red, they could slash prices even further depending upon the market.  With the BMC 4K on the horizon, it becomes an interesting poker game.    4K is plenty of fire power for the vast majority.  4K is a lot more demanding to work with due to the file sizes.  How much resolution is enough?  Having extra dynamic range is always welcomed.  I find with the 1DC, it is plenty of firepower for my rookie purposes.  However, there is always room for improvement.  Cheers.