Any info on this anamorphic lens?

enny

Any info on this lens guys.

description
This little diamond in the rough is world class iscorama glass rehoused into a beautiful new housing with an actual Iris stage added to the build. I think it was repurposed for optical printing which is why they installed an Iris which is pretty much unheard of in the realms of these funky anamorphic adapters we all are obsessed over. Never seen anything like it and don't think I'll see another one again. I can't say for certain but this may be a one of a kind or part of a pair of lenses that were custom rehoused and repurposed by the post house that used it for optical work back in the good old film days. It's a top notch pro job and if anyone knows more about the history of this beauty I'd love to hear about it. It's the kind of glass you just nerd out about all day and stare at endlessly. Ohhh pretty pretty glass. How special you are!

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It indeed looks like either part of an optical printer or reconfigured to or from print duplication use. Seen this lens being re-sold 2 or 3 times from different sellers without much time between auctions - which raises alarm bells as to its real practicality for filmmaking use (and where is footage of it at infinity and variable stops?). No doubt the optics are going to be top notch but I'd want to be assured that its focus can hit infinity with that aperture inside (causing added space between optics), since I would presume that lens was always intended for closeup duplication use, as part of a specific optical printer or telecine machine. I suspect that the variable aperture inside the lens is not going to make the image much sharper when coupled with a taking lens, but rather cut the light transmission to the taking lens and dramatically increase vignette.

In a nutshell, if it was the wonder lens that it is supposed to be, where is example footage of it resolving infinity focus and its results when stopping down with its internal aperture?

EDIT: Found an expired eBay auction that sold for $250 that confirms my hunch...

"This is is multiple lens assembly that was used at Deluxe Film Laboratories in Hollywood for 35mm anamorphic conversion to flat formats for theatrical trailers.  It should not be confused with camera or projector lenses.  Printing lenses are ulta sharp intermediate lenses designed to resolve 35mm camera original high resolution color negative without distortion.   The assembly consists consists of three separate lenses, each of which may be separated for individual use:

Isco Lens VII - Base Lens

Isco Anamophis Printing Lense 2x with Manual IRIS Ring (Like F-Stop)

Isco Lens III - Output Lens

IMG_3059.JPG.c43c0706c0107e9152bcc535e7420615.JPG

IMG_3060.thumb.JPG.9f3b81581f1e260c1a7a78e6eb8838f0.JPG

I highly doubt the Isco printing lens can hit infinity without stopping it down to a crazy small aperture. You can see from the original configuration that it is basically used for near-macro focus distances, as part of an optical conversion chain. If it could indeed be used for filmmaking use, I would be interested to hear how on earth you would achieve infinity focus. 

I think the current seller on eBay is a member of this forum @Hunterj11

perhaps they can shine some light on this lens?