Sigma 8-16 - will it work on ursa mini 4.6k at 8mm?

kgv5

Hi, i am interested in buying used sigma 8-16 for my ursa mini 4.6k for certain "dramatic" UWA shots, does anybody knows if it will cover UM sensor at 8mm? Will it vignette? Maybe somebody tried 8-16 on 1dx II (4k cropped about 1.4x)? UM sensor is slightly larger than APS-c (1.38 vs 1.6x crop) so i dont know...If it doesnt work at 8mm there is no point of having this lens, it is better to buy canon 10-18 STM which works great @10mm even with filter. What do you think? 

In this test i was using 10-18 on 11mm because i had huge firecrest 100mm filter holder attached (polarizer+grad) and it vignetted on 10mm, 10mm was good with just a polarizer screwed on though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I can't give you the definitive answer regarding the exact combination you're after but I've got an 8mm Samyang that I've put on a Nikon D800 to do a quick test for you.

The D800 is obviously full frame but does auto crop at 1.2 and 1.5 so these examples show you exactly what it covers at full frame, 1.2 and 1.5

Judging by that, I'd say you'll probably get away with it.

Maybe ;)

DSC_8660.jpg

DSC_8661.jpg

DSC_8662.jpg

@BTM_Pix, thank you very much, when i change the size of fullframe sitll you posted to 140 percent it shows some dark corners, probably it would work at around 8,2-8,5mm and 2,35:1 aspect ratio without any problem. Thanks again. 

I have ordered the lens, I shoud have it next week so i will post the results. I couldnt find anything about sigma 8-16 with ursa mini 4.6k so it shoud be interesting :) Now I wish i had ursa pro with internal NDs, i will not be able to screw my firecrests on 8-16...

Interested to see your results.

How much wider can you really go? 8mm is insane, I use a 10mm on Bmpcc with speedbooster and I can basically see my own shoulders, lol

Not exactly maybe, but if I stretch out my arm I can see half of my upper arm so maybe 6" from my shoulder. Here's an test video I did when I got the lens.

I was able to get the answer from blackmagic forum. 8mm shows only very slight vignetting on UM4.6K full sensor readout, totally usable IMO.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60592&sid=94dfac12855cd4840fd19a1ead5504e8

I will have this lens in the next couple of days so I will make some tests (and maybe comparison with canon 10-18 STM).

21 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Interested to see your results.

How much wider can you really go? 8mm is insane, I use a 10mm on Bmpcc with speedbooster and I can basically see my own shoulders, lol

Not exactly maybe, but if I stretch out my arm I can see half of my upper arm so maybe 6" from my shoulder. Here's an test video I did when I got the lens.

Checked your post and video description, I must be daft because I couldn't see what lens you shot with... can you help me out? :)

On 6/18/2017 at 8:33 PM, andrgl said:

Checked your post and video description, I must be daft because I couldn't see what lens you shot with... can you help me out? :)

It's the Rokinon 10mm T3.1 Cine DS.

Also, obviously added post cinescope bars which cover up more of the image!