help? make do with what i have

michael.dsilva

Hi All,

I am new to this and i do not know the correct words for a lot of this.

My camera is a Canon g12 with a x5 zoom and i have an Isco 70mm ultrastar.

when i put my camera behind it, half my image is of the inside of my lens. If i zoom in to about x4 (camera says 20cm) i no longer see the lens barrel but now my shot is too narrow and my camera automaticly jumps from f2.8 to f4 because i've zoomed in.

Any tips/tricks to improve this?

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You can only go as wide as around 70mm (full frame equivalent) on an ultrastar. So you would need to zoom in quite a bit on your G12. The light loss is to be expected as it is not a constant aperture lens. As the sensor is quite small (1/1.7") you cannot get any shallow depth of field.
You can take anamorphic photos, but I'm not sure the 720p recording will handle desqueezing nicely :s
Can you attach pictures of your experiments ?
(The (only?) thing which is good about this setup, is that your front lens element is quite small, and anamorphic adapters love that !)

Hi Justin, here is some footage, one from some graded video i did and the other is a squashed photo when fully zoomed out of (almost) the same shot, the other is a photo of my camera (with lens adapter) and my ultra-star. I haven't built a proper mount for it yet so am using two hands and the lens wasn't straight or properly focused. I have to say i really like the look this lens gives me. My friend tells me that i can add a telephoto lens adapter for my camera.

What do you think?

Anamorphic test2.00_03_03_15.Still002.png

IMG_9403_squash.jpg

20170528_085816641_iOS.jpg

You can remove the last part of your adapter.

On you picture I marked it : 

592aab2fe83e0_Inkedhelpmakedowithwhatihave-ANAMORPHIC-EOSHDForum-GoogleChrome_LI.jpg.88d5976a73ff716000bb338eaa86a6fb.jpg

So that it looks like it 

592aab309e272_ISCOBluestar.jpg.902b9bef8fe774ef8e76fa7107a86de7.jpg

(picture from rapido's website as I was just too lazy to remove mine from its setup)

This should allow you to get a bit wider ;)

I wouldn't recommend a telephoto adapter as you'll lose in image quality (and a bit of light in the process)

i cant get that bit to budge :( looking in side it seems to be on a normal thread but some how stuck.interestingly, with my camera zoomed in enough to remove the lens barrel it actually sticks out of my camera lens adapter by around 6mm and the distance from the isco glass to the edge of the lens is 20mm, so yes there is a (safe) gap.

Any tips on how do remove it?

11 hours ago, michael.dsilva said:

i cant get that bit to budge :( looking in side it seems to be on a normal thread but some how stuck.interestingly, with my camera zoomed in enough to remove the lens barrel it actually sticks out of my camera lens adapter by around 6mm and the distance from the isco glass to the edge of the lens is 20mm, so yes there is a (safe) gap.

Any tips on how do remove it?

21 hours ago, Dude_ger said:

Don t you loose infinity when the lenses are closer?

Absolutely not. They are only benefits to get the adapter as close as possible to your taking lens ;) (Wider FOV / Less vignetting, Less light leaks are the ones I'm thinking right now)

hi Justin,

some video grabs, re-did the lego shot to show difference.

One thing that is hard to get used to is i always need to be 1.5m away otherwise i cant focus. Also on my camera, when zoomed in to crop the lens barrel i think the camera becomes F4, so panning is worse than if i use f2.8 (zoomed out, without lens). Might be different if i film outdoors on a bright day.

is there something i can put between my camera lens and anamorphic lens that will give me x3-x4 zoom, so i can use my have my camera set to its lowest f2.8? or do3s it not work like that?

The adaptor was actually made on a lathe out of some left over block of plastic that my friend used for building engine bushings. It has a very nice texture and feel. No screws, just a tight fit.

MVI_9431.00_00_09_22.Still001.png

dinner.00_02_23_00.Still001.png

On 6/3/2017 at 2:24 AM, michael.dsilva said:

is there something i can put between my camera lens and anamorphic lens that will give me x3-x4 zoom, so i can use my have my camera set to its lowest f2.8? or do3s it not work like that?

Nope, I think you're pretty much stuck at F/4 with this camera :s