GH5 proxy/transcode - what's your workflow?

Linus N

2 hours ago, buggz said:

Same error with the new .bat file, maybe my version of ffmpeg?   ffmpeg-20170601-bd1179e-win64-static

A quick .MOV test file works in Resolve studio, 12.5

Yey!

Now to rig my anamorphic gear and shoot some video, this is gonna rock.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 26.5.2017 at 0:02 PM, Shirozina said:

Until CPU's become fast enough to decode highly compressed camera media on the fly what choice is there but to work from Proxies / optimised media substitutes in the timeline? At least you are retaining the original camera files for future use when hardware can handle them.

On 26.5.2017 at 0:16 PM, Axel said:

That's right. "Future use" can't be far in the future or either Panasonic or the NLE companies will lose customers.

The future is now: Premiere was updated an now officially supports GH5 10-bit video. No need for second guessing and time-consuming workarounds.

1 hour ago, Axel said:

The future is now: Premiere was updated an now officially supports GH5 10-bit video. No need for second guessing and time-consuming workarounds.

'Supporting' the codec is not the same thing as being able to play it back smoothly when you have a timeline loaded with effects and edits - transcoding / optimised media / proxies will still be a necessary part of the workflow for most people.

14 hours ago, Shirozina said:

'Supporting' the codec is not the same thing as being able to play it back smoothly when you have a timeline loaded with effects and edits - transcoding / optimised media / proxies will still be a necessary part of the workflow for most people.

You're having troubles with it?

17 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Yes, of course. It all depends. As I said, there are systems already available that can edit native 4k like formerly DV, actually smoother and with more realtime, without necessarily being considered all too powerful in terms of hardware specs. My iMac for instance with FCP X. Honestly, sooner or later I also reach the end of he tether. The Premiere answer would be even faster hardware. Until, like you said, a timeline loaded with effects again sets the limit. Premiere just never developed an easy and reliable proxy or intermediate workflow, this thread is a proof of that. You pay more monthly for having - to put it mildly - suboptimal performance and way more hassle than others.

• 4 months later...

Are you guys still transcoding?

Any update for Oct 2017?

I was editing GH5 footage on my ancient i5-2600K - it was unbearable but I just assumed it was because of the ancient processor and GPU (GTX 770), not to mention regular HDD.  I finally upgraded to Threadripper 1950X and 1080ti, footage on M2 drives.

STILL getting some lag in the timeline in premiere (using 4K 8bit 150mbs 24p and 4K 60fps 8 bit 150mbs).  I mean, I can actually edit now which is great, and playback is way smoother, but still stutters bad sometimes and doesn't catch up.  I'm using 1/2 resolution or 1/4, doesn't really seem to make a difference.  Is it just the way premiere reads GH5 footage?