Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
6 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Cine D for GX85? How did you do it? Out of likes for today.

Maybe you should give it another thread title...AWESOME: CINE D HACK for GX85! Finally Cine D for your GX85 :)

I'm just working on something to make it a bit more readily deployable in the field and then I'll post it up.

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Interesting... I can see a big difference particularly in the red and orange areas, which is the GX80's weakpoint. More latitude in the highlights as well. What have you done? This is potentially huge for me. 

As per the image above, it is very close to Cinelike D.

By which I mean, it actually is Cinelike D ;)

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, this is really cool. When you turn it on, does it stay on, or do you have to "flip the switch" every time you turn the camera on?

Also can you try, over wi-fi, for a mic input to appear...

I'm exploring some permanence using the custom C options to give you a switchable configuration.

By 'exploring' I mean double checking as I already have it working.

I'm just working on this prototype version of making a mic input appear via wifi ;)

wifi drill.jpg

18 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm exploring some permanence using the custom C options to give you a switchable configuration.

By 'exploring' I mean double checking as I already have it working.

I'm just working on this prototype version of making a mic input appear via wifi ;)

wifi drill.jpg

Haha, nice one. Is it difficult to switch it on, via wi-fi, if you cannot make it permanent?

I did a test last fall with the GX85, L. Monochrome and a Rokinon 12mm lens. And the combo was great handheld. It almost kept me from selling the camera, but a $700 camera + a $300 lens was a bit much to justify a B&W only camera... I don't really like any other Panasonic color profile, other than CineLikeD... so if this is possible and permanent, or easily switched on when needed, I may have found my simple 4K camera. 

• Super Members
30 minutes ago, mercer said:

Haha, nice one. Is it difficult to switch it on, via wi-fi, if you cannot make it permanent?

I did a test last fall with the GX85, L. Monochrome and a Rokinon 12mm lens. And the combo was great handheld. It almost kept me from selling the camera, but a $700 camera + a $300 lens was a bit much to justify a B&W only camera... I don't really like any other Panasonic color profile, other than CineLikeD... so if this is possible and permanent, or easily switched on when needed, I may have found my simple 4K camera. 

No, its easy and it does persist on switch off.

But that can be an issue as once you've enabled it you then needed to then use the wifi to go back to the other profiles.

And when I say 'you then needed to' I mean in the past tense as I've worked out a way to make it permanently switchable in camera using the C functions so you dedicate one of them to being Cinelike D and you must have one of the others set to Standard or another one of the profiles so you can switch back to them otherwise you'd have to use the wifi.

I'm working on something that will be quite the useful little standalone gadget for these Panasonic cameras but for now it can be done using a laptop or phone.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Do you have an LX100? I wonder if it's possible to get CineLikeD on that one. Also, I believe it shared a sensor with the GH4, so maybe the high bitrate, all-i 1080 is switchable via wi-fi as well. Now that would be cool. 

I do have an LX100.

It currently does 'something' and I just need to work out why that 'something' isn't currently the 'something' we want it to do.

• Super Members

Well it was never going to be a low light monster but I can let you have ISO50000 now if you want it as well ;)

Top ISO6400 (max for video)

Middle ISO25600 (standard max for stills)

Bottom ISO50000 (modified max for stills)

It still reports it as 25600 in the exif funnily enough. And it doesn't display it onscreen either, just like it doesn't with the Cinelike D

So there seems to be a mismatch between the values it writes in the metadata and displays on screen with what it can actually be made to do. This is very potentially very interesting regarding a bitrate I thought I'd persuaded it to do earlier......

5000 002.jpg

19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

So, as some of you may know, I've been "experimenting" with having little chats with different Panasonic cameras over WiFi and after whispering in the GX80s ear last night, I may have come up with something quite interesting.

The first image is a grab from a GX80 using its Standard profile.

The second image is a grab from a GX80 that is definitely not using the Standard profile.......

There's still so much misinformation being spread about Cinelike D that I doubt it will really catch on except among a very few GX85 users. But it's immediately apparent that it has substantially greater tonality than either Natural or Standard, and I prefer the color renditon to Standard for sure. The extra detail in the highlights in the foreground is impressive, but even more so, for me, is how the greater tonality gives the out of focus areas in the background a much more pleasing appearance.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

There's still so much misinformation being spread about Cinelike D that I doubt it will really catch on except among a very few GX85 users. But it's immediately apparent that it has substantially greater tonality than either Natural or Standard, and I prefer the color renditon to Standard for sure. 

I think one advantage of it for many people is that there are a large number of LUTs available that use Cinelike D as a base point so it might appeal on that level.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

My guess is that you are modifying the Android app file to recognize the camera as the G7 or G80, thus giving it the CineD profile? Then within the app, you are able to save the profile on to one of the custom settings?

Kind of but its actually a lot more basic than that to be honest mate and doesn't require any modification of the app.

I've got a really simple way of testing it if anyone wants to have a go themselves?

23 minutes ago, jonpais said:

There's still so much misinformation being spread about Cinelike D that I doubt it will really catch on except among a very few GX85 users. But it's immediately apparent that it has substantially greater tonality than either Natural or Standard, and I prefer the color renditon to Standard for sure. The extra detail in the highlights in the foreground is impressive, but even more so, for me, is how the greater tonality gives the out of focus areas in the background a much more pleasing appearance.

Cinelike D on the GX80/85 and the G80/85 should not be compared with that on the G7, GH4 and others. Those cameras still have the older colours of Panasonic, and therefore it would befit GX80/85 users a LOT more. 

IMHO the mic-in and Cinelike Profiles were the Only shortcomings of the GX80/85. One of those being addressed is not bad.