Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???

BTM_Pix

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don't remember if this was asked, but can you also change the parameters of CineLikeD... dial down sharpness, noise reduction... ?

Yes, its changeable in camera like the other profiles and the changes are persistent on power off and when stored in C1 etc 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Not my experience with this at all.

Its made no difference at all to the responsiveness of any of the controls of the camera.

Are you referring to when you still have it connected to the wifi or something?

It happened initially. I listened to Jonpais' instructions and saved the settings to custom 1 and custom 2. And it works like a breeze. 

3 hours ago, mercer said:

I don't remember if this was asked, but can you also change the parameters of CineLikeD... dial down sharpness, noise reduction... ?

Yes, you can. 

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

As per the recommendation, consider saving the Cinelike profile as C1 and then the Standard profile as C2.

This makes it really simple to switch between them in camera if required.

Hope that helps.

I did. Like I mentioned, I took Jonpais' advice and I don't have to use my smartphone for engaging CinelikeD anymore. 

Man, I would love to be able to get the high bitrate all-i 1080p on a 5-axis camera. I recently tested the FZ2500 again and I just love that 200mbps and CineLikeD, but I'd love it better with interchangeable lenses, on a bigger sensor, and 5-Axis IBIS... and the big AND... less than a thousand dollars.

IMG_1032.PNG

IMG_1033.JPG

• Super Members
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

It happened initially. I listened to Jonpais' instructions and saved the settings to custom 1 and custom 2. And it works like a breeze. 

I did. Like I mentioned, I took Jonpais' advice and I don't have to use my smartphone for engaging CinelikeD anymore. 

They were my instructions to be fair but no matter, we got there in the end!

• Super Members
42 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, I hope someone with some coding skills takes a look at BTM's finds to see if something more can be done. The GX85 or G85 would be epic with 200mbps 1080p. 

With the GX85 now having Cinelike D, a used one and a used BM Video Assist from B&H could be your friend if you only want 1080p for <$1000? 

Better monitoring, edit ready ProRes etc 

A real pity the smaller VA doesn't have XLR inputs like the bigger one as it would be a great combo.

Although if you put up another $200 you could pair it with the G85.....

Just updating, GX85, firmware 1.2, ir worked (some terror moments when the "restore" link returned "error" in the response, but repeting the process since the start restored the original settings. Used the C slot method, now I have Cinelike D in my C3. 

Never used a Panny camera with Cinelike D before, but comparing with the Natural profile, the picture is much more flat, with more data in the shadows and the skin tone is MUCH better (less orange / magenta). Thanks a lot, BTM_Pix.

(and hoping that Panasonic do not close this method in the next firmware update...)

59 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Never used a Panny camera with Cinelike D before, but comparing with the Natural profile, the picture is much more flat, with more data in the shadows and the skin tone is MUCH better (less orange / magenta). 

Truth.

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

So this is really cool! Great work. I did some tests this morning.

My question now is: what are the other settings in the profile in terms of contrast, sharpness, NR, and saturation? Can't seem to find that information.

You can change those in the camera as per the original profiles

Although the name of the profile appears blank if you select it in Menu>Photo Style and then cursor down you can change the contrast, saturation,NR an ld sharpness.

Changed parameters persist on reboot and if stored in C1 etc 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

You can change those in the camera as per the original profiles

Although the name of the profile appears blank if you select it in Menu>Photo Style and then cursor down you can change the contrast, saturation,NR an ld sharpness.

Changed parameters persist on reboot and if stored in C1 etc 

That's great! After setting one Custom setting to Cinelike V and the other to Cinelike D, you can make all the adjustments (Custom, Sharpness, NR, Saturation), save and still keep all the same settings on reboot. Nice, but stupid Panasonic didn't just include it if it's already there... probably taken out by some marketing dude to help sell more G80/GH5 units. Oh well, can't complain too much about the GX80, "the good enough/close enough" camera. It keeps getting better and better. Thanks BTM_Pix!

52 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

That's great! After setting one Custom setting to Cinelike V and the other to Cinelike D, you can make all the adjustments (Custom, Sharpness, NR, Saturation), save and still keep the all the settings on reboot. Nice, but stupid Panasonic didn't just include it if it's already there... probably taken out by some marketing dude to help sell more G80/GH5 units. Oh well, can't complain too much about the GX80, "the good enough/close enough" camera. It keeps getting better and better. Thanks BTM_Pix!

And according to DXO Mark Labs the GX85/80 has better low light and better dynamic range than the G85/80, even though both have the same sensor and (maybe) the same processor.

I feel VLog is hidden somewhere in there too. I wish Panasonic would just take $99 and give it to GX85/80 users. 

• Super Members

If you got your hands on a v2.2 or v2.3 GH4 and then "rediscovered" where the particular version of the Android app was that did the "free" vlog upgrade before Panasonic closed it down then you'd be able to discover what command it was that was sent using the same process as the packet capture here.

Unless the GX80 wanted to play ball though then you could be sending that command all day long and it wouldn't do anything.

The GX80 does not throw an error when you send what I suspect is this right command and it does change the picture profile, just not to the one you are seeking.

The LX100 changes it's profile to something entirely unusual when you tell it to use Cinelike D. 

If you've got an LX100, use my html page to make the changes as per the GX80 and you'll see what I mean 

BTM -fantastic works great thankyou

daft super noddy question how do I save to a custom profile please - I've never really under stood the custom modes on the Panasonics

do I need to be in "Movie Mode" - then set as a custom photo style ?

I saw people mention C1 and C2 - if I save it says "overwrite custom settings - current setting "STD" - is that correct ?

thanks

11 minutes ago, BucksterUK said:

BTM -fantastic works great thankyou

daft super noddy question how do I save to a custom profile please - I've never really under stood the custom modes on the Panasonics

do I need to be in "Movie Mode" - then set as a custom photo style ?

I saw people mention C1 and C2 - if I save it says "overwrite custom settings - current setting "STD" - is that correct ?

thanks

The answer is 'yes'. In movie mode, go into the custom menu, 'wrenchC', then Cust.Set.Mem, select C1, C2, whatever. Message appears 'Overwrite current camera settings with Custom Set 1?' or 2... then select 'yes'.

For those wondering which settings to use with Cinelike D, I'd recommend starting off with Sharpening at -3, Noise Reduction at -5. I wouldn't reduce saturation as it's already low, and I see no benefit in dialing contrast down either, since you'll just end up increasing contrast in post anyhow. You can maximize dynamic range even further by exposing to the right, at least when at base ISO, which I believe is either ISO 200 or ISO 400. Set your zebras to 100% and narrow the aperture until the stripes disappear from the important areas of the image. Underexposing (with the histogram to the left) will only negate any benefits you get from using a profile with a wider dynamic range. I used to be afraid of clipping, but as long as the brightest areas of the subject aren't reaching 100 IRE, you can then reduce luminance in post, and retain all that detail and color.