The Interrogation- shot with lotta Panny G6 love and 8bit glory!:)

PannySVHS

Hey friends!

time to post some g6 footage again. shot 8months ago. I lit and shot this in 1.5 hours, no planning ahead of the shoot. All quick n pretty style!

Talents´voices didnt make it in the edit because of my not so pretty audio job. Edit took a looong time, because I missed some shots.

So next time, at least a small shotlist:) Panny G6 still a great cam. I like the ergos better than the G7. Grip is more lovely to hold and it somehow feels more solid.

Still shooting with my G6, GX80 and G7 for test shots only so far:) Hope you can enjoy this faulty exercise of mine. cheers, Marty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey friends!

time to post some g6 footage again. shot 8months ago. I lit and shot this in 1.5 hours, no planning ahead of the shoot. All quick n pretty style!

Talents´voices didnt make it in the edit because of my not so pretty audio job. Edit took a looong time, because I missed some shots.

So next time, at least a small shotlist:) Panny G6 still a great cam. I like the ergos better than the G7. Grip is more lovely to hold and it somehow feels more solid.

Still shooting with my G6, GX80 and G7 for test shots only so far:) Hope you can enjoy this faulty exercise of mine. cheers, Marty

Damn Marty, you are the master of the G6. You have got to make a feature on that little cam. Great work and color as always. 

Thank you, Glenn! What an awesome compliment! Would love to do bigger stuff. It has its advantages to shoot with a cam like G6. I still think it is the

best rebel cam. Sorry Canon, you´re second:) To me it feels better in hand than my G7, which has sharp edges on the mode dial and feels

not friendly to the hand so to say. GX80 has underwhelming HD. 4k acquisition for HD delivery still feels weird to me. But its a very nice image.

So guess gonna sell the G7, which has only been through one testrun. I bought it after my GX80 for the nice HD, swivel screen, much better EVF and mic in.

GX80 stabilization is nice but not magic. I would say its about the same as the OIS from my 14-45mm lens.

I still got one G6 shortfilm in the editing and post to show soon hopefully. I´m awful when it comes

to fiddling with the colors, never finding an end it seems :) Well, thanks a lot for the beautiful words, my friend!

By the way, vid shot again with the Canon FD 28mm 2.8, wide open. Great lens. Best for the price. Bought a Kiron 28mm 2.0 a few weeks ago and

found it disappointing in the image department.

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Thank you, Glenn! What an awesome compliment! Would love to do bigger stuff. It has its advantages to shoot with a cam like G6. I still think it is the

best rebel cam. Sorry Canon, you´re second:) To me it feels better in hand than my G7, which has sharp edges on the mode dial and feels

not friendly to the hand so to say. GX80 has underwhelming HD. 4k acquisition for HD delivery still feels weird to me. But its a very nice image.

So guess gonna sell the G7, which has only been through one testrun. I bought it after my GX80 for the nice HD, swivel screen, much better EVF and mic in.

GX80 stabilization is nice but not magic. I would say its about the same as the OIS from my 14-45mm lens.

I still got one G6 shortfilm in the editing and post to show soon hopefully. I´m awful when it comes

to fiddling with the colors, never finding an end it seems :) Well, thanks a lot for the beautiful words, my friend!

By the way, vid shot again with the Canon FD 28mm 2.8, wide open. Great lens. Best for the price. Bought a Kiron 28mm 2.0 a few weeks ago and

found it disappointing in the image department.

You almost inspired me to buy a G6 the other day. There's one with the 14-42mm kit on eBay for a fairly good price. But in all honestly, I am just too mesmerized with ML Raw to test other cameras anymore...

IMG_1028.JPG

I'd love to see what you can do with Raw or a D5500. 

Your talent already looks better than mine... LOL. 

Glenn, you did the right thing with the 5DIII, because it must be a very satisfying experience. I would try that route as well but to me the storage part and

overall expense is out of reach for now. I think you are great at cinematography. Your approach has inspired me to discipline my shots and to plan them out better!

I am still impressed what you do with handcamera work and monopod work as well- always great framing and pace and rhythm of movement.

About your grading: it reflects the natural light well, which you are shooting under mostly.

So your colors are not as crazy as mine :)  What I would also be interested to see, if

you would approach stronger color and tonal contrasts as well besides some of your muted and pastellic palettes.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Glenn, you did the right thing with the 5DIII, because it must be a very satisfying experience. I would try that route as well but to me the storage part and

overall expense is out of reach for now. I think you are great at cinematography. Your approach has inspired me to discipline my shots and to plan them out better!

I am still impressed what you do with handcamera work and monopod work as well- always great framing and pace and rhythm of movement.

About your grading: it reflects the natural light well, which you are shooting under mostly.

So your colors are not as crazy as mine :)  What I would also be interested to see, if

you would approach stronger color and tonal contrasts as well besides some of your muted and pastellic palettes.

Honestly, if my grading ever looks pastellic... it's a mess up... either due to my bad skills or lack of calibrated monitor. If it ever looks good, it is probably accidental and I will not be able to replicate it. If it looks bad, it was accidental and I can replicate it every time...

21 hours ago, mercer said:

Honestly, if my grading ever looks pastellic... it's a mess up... either due to my bad skills or lack of calibrated monitor. If it ever looks good, it is probably accidental and I will not be able to replicate it. If it looks bad, it was accidental and I can replicate it every time...

This is A League comic material: "I can replicate it every time...". Cracking me up, pure genius! But seriously, you have nice subtle color palettes. If there is irritation or falseness in color it is most of the time due to our monitors. Thats why I got a monitor with 99.9% srgb space and a cheap one with maybe 80% to have a little more control over color variation.

12 hours ago, jonpais said:

@PannySVHS Lovely work, wish it had gone on longer. Beautiful colors, grain, everything. 

Thank you very much, Jon! Maybe a longer version would make sense. Got any ideas for the story? Condition would be, same setting and location and just two actors, to keep it simple and manageable to realize in a run and gun manner. So, up for ideas to reshoot this? Maybe indeed with a third actor? Maybe with my GX80? Though G6 has something, some nice roughness to it once it´s been graded.

12 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

This is A League comic material: "I can replicate it every time...". Cracking me up, pure genius! But seriously, you have nice subtle color palettes. If there is irritation or falseness in color it is most of the time due to our monitors. Thats why I got a monitor with 99.9% srgb space and a cheap one with maybe 80% to have a little more control over color variation.

Thank you very much, Jon! Maybe a longer version would make sense. Got any ideas for the story? Condition would be, same setting and location and just two actors, to keep it simple and manageable to realize in a run and gun manner. So, up for ideas to reshoot this? Maybe indeed with a third actor? Maybe with my GX80? Though G6 has something, some nice roughness to it once it´s been graded.

Yeah, I use a MacBook Air so it's definitely not ideal. I have it set for Rec709 but I know it's off a little. After I sell a bunch of stuff, I am going to save for an iMac, hopefully that monitor will yield better results. 

And yeah, I think you should definitely extend this piece. The ladies are great in it and I was left wondering what exactly was gonna happen next. This could easily be turned into a feature if you can figure out the red herring. I hope you do. 

Thank you, Glenn, but rather a 5 to 10minute piece:)

I think they have a presence in front of the camera. But they are my collegues, not actors, so they might not want to appear in a longer version unfortunately.

And I need a story worth of 5 to 10 minutes of watching, also spoken and audible:) dialogue. Well, for now, good night.

• 1 month later...

Okay, Jon @jonpais and Glenn @mercer, It is starting to materialize. I will reshoot my exercise as a shortfilm end of August.

It is going to have a vampire in it.

Not sure, if shooting with G6, GX85 or renting a GH5. My GX85 is still depending on just one battery. No good:)

Maybe this time using the luxury of a BCam.. Dreaming :)

7 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Okay, Jon @jonpais and Glenn @mercer, It is starting to materialize. I will reshoot my exercise as a shortfilm end of August.

It is going to have a vampire in it.

Not sure, if shooting with G6, GX85 or renting a GH5. My GX85 is still depending on just one battery. No good:)

Maybe this time using the luxury of a BCam.. Dreaming :)

I say rent the GH5... with your color skills, you could probably get a ton out of a GH5. Also, with it being the new, hip camera, the GH5 could help to eek out some views. good luck with it, I love vampire stories. 

Yeah, there are two great deals on renting a GH5 via sharing platform where I live. Package with two 64GB cards.

I think I would shoot 1080p and 100mbit. Not sure if it has VLOG installed. Not sure about the use of CineD. I don´t have that much time for testing, so maybe in the

end I shoot Natural again. A new camera is always raising new questions.

Up thread you mentioned that 1080p from the GX80 isn't as good as the 1080p from your G6... why is that? Don't they share the same avchd codec and bitrate?

As far as the GH5 is concerned, maybe the FW update will be released by then and you can shoot in 1080p 10bit all-i at 200mbps in 24p and 60p. As of now, I don't think the 1080p is 10bit... but I could be wrong. CineLikeD is pretty simple, it seems exposing anywhere between -1/2 stop to +1/2 stop, depending on your shot, yields good results. I'm sure with a couple hours of tests, you'll work it out fairly quickly.

Btw, I know Panny is in your name and all, but if you get a chance, you should test out the Olympus E-M5 Mark ii. It has better IBIS than the GX80 and a solid all-i mov codec in 1080p. The colors seem more organic than Panasonic as well... but I only had one for an afternoon. 

@PannySVHS

Hallo Glenn, there was a Firmware update for HD 10bit 24p and 60p in April, 100mbit Long GOP, which should be a very, very fine codec.

This is awesome, since the HD is pixel perfect Canon Cinema level up to 60p.

HD from GX80 suffers Aliasing and Moire and has not the resolution of the G6. Bitrate is same, codec seemingly so. Downsampling from the sensor cannot be the same.

Well I got two Oly cameras, a Pen EPL1 and a EP2. Should change my alias to PannySVHSpen:)

Oly was always JPEG king before Fuji took the crown. I am scared of Panny Jpegs:) So EM5II seems a fun option. They still go for the same price as a G80 on the used market.

By the way. G6 is really an awesome cam. Graded, it is the best image for the money and it is the best usablitiy for the money.

I have convinced three people in the last two years to buy one:)

I also like the feel of the body much better than from the G7. Have the G7 for four months now and have not filmed a single thing

other than a CineD test for dynamic range testing. The G7s HD looks to be even better than from the G6 resolution wise. Saw a test

on youtube comparing HD and the EX Tele modes..

Still, G6 ist the queen, Gh2 the legend, Gh4 the shining prince, GH3 the lost son and GH5 the king. G7 the beautiful princess,

G85 the spectacular princess, GX85 the dandy niece princess. And GH1 the originator, Little Richard the Great. :)