Fuji Exposure Shift During Video Recording

fuzzynormal

X-Pro2

Intermittent problem; can't isolate it or reproduce it with consistency. 

I'm seeing it on moves like a pan or tilt.  It will either drop or raise exposure by what looks like a half stop.  New firmware has been on the camera for a few weeks.  Just started noticing the problem today.

Not sure what's going on...or if it's lens-specific.

Wanted to see if anyone else has a similar issue?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

X-Pro2

Intermittent problem; can't isolate it or reproduce it with consistency. 

I'm seeing it on moves like a pan or tilt.  It will either drop or raise exposure by what looks like a half stop.  New firmware has been on the camera for a few weeks.  Just started noticing the problem today.

Not sure what's going on...or if it's lens-specific.

Wanted to see if anyone else has a similar issue?

Which settings are you using? Which lenses? Is this a new camera? It only occurs during camera movement?

There was some discussion about this in the XT2 thread. You may be seeing in-cam lens corrections not keeping up with what you're shooting. I've noticed it a lot when zooming or panning in the midday sun when out sightseeing. This happens shooting full manual. I use the 10-24 and 18-55 a lot and they both show this behavior.

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Which settings are you using? Which lenses? Is this a new camera? It only occurs during camera movement?

Actually just the default settings; haven't changing anything after the new firmware install.  The color profile is 'Standard.'  The camera is a year old.  And, yeah, only happens with moves like a pan that change the amount of light in the frame.  As such, I'm guessing there's some sort of processing/compensation the camera is doing.

4 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Are you actually seeing this in the recorded footage or just the back of the camera?

The footage.  I'll upload a clip...

2 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Actually just the default settings; haven't changing anything after the new firmware install.  The color profile is 'Standard.'  The camera is a year old.  And, yeah, only happens with moves like a pan that change the amount of light in the frame.  As such, I'm guessing there's some sort of processing/compensation the camera is doing.

The footage.  I'll upload a clip...

So, you're saying this happens in full manual mode? Which lenses are you using?

1 minute ago, Trek of Joy said:

There was some discussion about this in the XT2 thread. You may be seeing in-cam lens corrections not keeping up with what you're shooting. I've noticed it a lot when zooming or panning in the midday sun when out sightseeing. This happens shooting full manual. I use the 10-24 and 18-55 a lot and they both show this behavior.

Well, I'm shooting full manual, that's for sure.  I did wonder if it's "Lens Modulation Optimizer" since that's the only setting (I could find) that would be actively attempting to process the image while filming.

Just now, jonpais said:

So, you're saying this happens in full manual mode?

Yup.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

It sounds suspiciously like it.

The tests I did had it happening on the short zooms.

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Any confirmation that the 'Lens Modulation Optimization' setting was the culprit?

I've just done it again with that switched off and the results are the same when doing the zoom test.

So if it is the same root cause then it wouldn't appear to be related to that.

Are you seeing these changes as flashes throughout the pan/tilt or is it a permanent change of exposure?

50 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Are you seeing these changes as flashes throughout the pan/tilt or is it a permanent change of exposure?

It comes and goes intermittently.  Not a flash.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u0oao2xdj6d2ib/DSCF0844.MOV?dl=0

I'm shooting manual.  If a switch to auto fixes the problem, fine.  I won't like it, but as long as it works for now.  This exposure "bump" is ruining some of my shots and I'm on a paid gig at the moment.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Which lenses are you using?

10-24mm

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

It comes and goes intermittently.  Not a flash.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9u0oao2xdj6d2ib/DSCF0844.MOV?dl=0

I'm shooting manual.  If a switch to auto fixes the problem, fine.  I won't like it, but as long as it works for now.  This exposure "bump" is ruining some of my shots and I'm on a paid gig at the moment.

Looks like it dips when its stopped having to do anything when the pan ends?

From the zoom test - which you should be able to quickly do yourself and see on the 10-24mm - you'll see that its at fairly set transition points that it changes the exposure.

I'm wondering if a possible workaround for what you are having a problem with right now is to just tweak the focal length a few mm and try it again so its corrections aren't passing through these transition points?

Its a long shot and probably won't work but doing the zoom test should let you see where the transition points are and have a go.

20 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm wondering if a possible workaround for what you are having a problem with right now is to just tweak the focal length a few mm and try it again so its corrections aren't passing through these transition points?

Don't know.  I'm not shooting anything wherein I change focal length DURING the shot.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Don't know.  I'm not shooting anything wherein I change focal length DURING the shot.

Sorry, I meant if you run through the zoom range on the 10-24 as a test you'll clearly see even on the screen the points at which the exposure changes occur (like little flashes)

If you then set the focal length for your shot midway to be between two of these flash points (or more likely just after one) and see if it makes a difference.

It might not work - and is less than ideal as in all likelihood the focal length that doesn't show the problem won't be exactly the right one for your shot - but better to move the tripod a bit than try and correct that exposure change in post ;)

• Super Members

At a motocross race this morning to shoot stills but remembered @mercer was asking about 1080p50 on the X-T20 so flicked it to video to capture a few quick segments. 

Anyway, I'd previously only seen the exposure shift with the wide primes but its evident here when I was altering focal length tracking the riders on the cheap 50-230mm I was using. 

Handheld so apologies for the shake and rough tracking.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, this is disappointing.  The wide I have not only shifts exposure, but I got some seriously weird shit happening on the edge of frame.  I'll upload an example.  It's brutal.

Fuji has wonderful color, but the inequality of the image... I can't abide.

That sucks. Outside of distortion - the edges/corners are where the corrections have the most impact. I've never turned off the internal lens corrections to see what it does to IQ. I can edit around the exposure jumping, and I've never scrutinized the edges - but I'm just shooting travel stuff right now. If it were for someone else I'd pixel-peep a lot more.

Maybe start a discussion/submit an article to Fuji Rumors get more attention? Tweet the Fuji Guys and comment on their YT videos. They read comments and respond. Fuji seems to listen to their sponsored shooters as well, this should be more publicized. Fuji seems very responsive to correcting these things. Doesn't help you now, but down the line...