Gh5 or 5d mk iv?

omar

I know the gh5 and 5d iv are two different beasts but just want to know what everyone thinks? Considering getting one of them to go along side my c100 mk I. 

I'd love to stick with canon but could benefit from some of the features the gh5 has. I do corporate work; testimonials, docs, short films etc. 

I'm also considering getting the gh5 and later upgrading from the c100 to that new Panasonic cine cam that was teased at NAB. Of course it's an unknown camera and there's no way to know if it's gonna be better than the canon c100 but just letting y'all know what I'm thinking. 

I love canon and love the look but I'm considering going to a company that is constantly innovating and that is constantly thinking of the user. Canon has the best image and colors, in my price range, IMO but features are boring and outdated. Man I don't want to leave canon but I keep drooling over what Panasonic is doing. Lol 

Anyways what y'all think? Image or innovation? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ive rented 5Div 

has best autofocus on market

Okeish 4k with old codec mjpeg

also C-log update (comingsoon)

GH5 

best 4K ive ever seen yet

Slomotion 180fps

IBIS 5 axis you can forget about shaky videos for ever

build in timelapse

6k photo

Log

Slow and innacurate autofucus

now i recommend u go rent both and test them to your style i personaly went for GH5 it suit my needs

All good points. And yes the C200. Wonder how much canon will hold back on that one lol. They usually hold back a lot of features on the lower models. 

This is why the new Panasonic cine cam excites me. Panasonic doesn't hold back as you can see with the GH5. 

I wish this decision was easier lol. A friend of mine has a GH5 I guess I'll play with his. I just never really liked the GH lines image as much. Looks too videoy. I hope GH5 is different. 

3 hours ago, omar said:

All good points. And yes the C200. Wonder how much canon will hold back on that one lol. They usually hold back a lot of features on the lower models. 

This is why the new Panasonic cine cam excites me. Panasonic doesn't hold back as you can see with the GH5. 

I wish this decision was easier lol. A friend of mine has a GH5 I guess I'll play with his. I just never really liked the GH lines image as much. Looks too videoy. I hope GH5 is different. 

Yes, gh5 is something. Vlog 4k10bit is an outstanding

38 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

C200 will more than likely have dual pixel autofocus, built in ND, flip out screen, compressed 4k, canon colors for the same or less price of a 1DX II. Seems like the perfect compromise to me. 

Yea true. No matter how many times I try to leave canon I end up staying because of that wonderful image. Canon colors are just so juicy! Lol 

So hoping the c200 will be a game changer! 

2 hours ago, dbp said:

Hopefully it'll have 4K 60p but I won't hold my breath.

I highly doubt 4K 60p will be on that camera. Canon's lower end cameras have never had better features than their higher end cameras. Remember when the c300 first came out? They had 60p at 720p and the c100 didn't have any 60p Lol! 

I don't think canon will be changing their style anytime soon although they should. But if they don't change things up, Sony will be surpassing them in camera sales within the next 5 years IMO. Sony is killing it with their FF mirrorless cameras. 

I think canon doesn't get that people love specs and innovation. Even though canon has an overall better image they should not rely on that alone. They seem to not care what users are asking and needing. It's kind of annoying. I almost sometimes want to leave canon just because of their stubborn ways but their image brings me back :p

1 hour ago, omar said:

I highly doubt 4K 60p will be on that camera. Canon's lower end cameras have never had better features than their higher end cameras. Remember when the c300 first came out? They had 60p at 720p and the c100 didn't have any 60p Lol! 

I don't think canon will be changing their style anytime soon although they should. But if they don't change things up, Sony will be surpassing them in camera sales within the next 5 years IMO. Sony is killing it with their FF mirrorless cameras. 

I think canon doesn't get that people love specs and innovation. Even though canon has an overall better image they should not rely on that alone. They seem to not care what users are asking and needing. It's kind of annoying. I almost sometimes want to leave canon just because of their stubborn ways but their image brings me back :p

The C100ii did, and that was only 3 years after the c300 was released, correct?

I don't get how color is not a spec. I can't mess with that FS7 footage. How does a 6 year old F3 have a better image...

19 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

The C100ii did, and that was only 3 years after the c300 was released, correct?

I don't get how color is not a spec. I can't mess with that FS7 footage. How does a 6 year old F3 have a better image...

I agree Ben. Color should be a spec. I guess what bugs me is the fact that canon seems to limit some of their cameras that can do more then what they're locked into doing.

For example, look at the 5d iii and what the ML hack has been able to do with this cam. It shows the almost limitless capabilities that camera can do. But the 5d iii out of the box without jail breaking has hardly any video features. Why canon???

So canon makes cameras that are capable of being amazing but just blocks this from us and tries to force us to upgrade our camera. :/

And I get it. They don't want everyone buying just one of their cameras but that doesn't mean you completely make your dslrs crap. Look at Sony. Even though they have their FF mirrorless cams with a ton of video features people still buy a ton of fs5's and fs7's. I just don't get why canon can't do the same. 

I mean canon is just now putting c-log on the 5d iv! LOL Why now? Why not when the camera was released? C'mon canon! It's pretty ridiculous IMO. 

9 minutes ago, omar said:

I agree Ben. Color should be a spec. I guess what bugs me is the fact that canon seems to limit some of their cameras that can do more then what they're locked into doing.

For example, look at the 5d iii and what the ML hack has been able to do with this cam. It shows the almost limitless capabilities that camera can do. But the 5d iii out of the box without jail breaking has hardly any video features. Why canon???

So canon makes cameras that are capable of being amazing but just blocks this from us and tries to force us to upgrade our camera. :/

And I get it. They don't want everyone buying just one of their cameras but that doesn't mean you completely make your dslrs crap. Look at Sony. Even though they have their FF mirrorless cams with a ton of video features people still buy a ton of fs5's and fs7's. I just don't get why canon can't do the same. 

I mean canon is just now putting c-log on the 5d iv! LOL Why now? Why not when the camera was released? C'mon canon! It's pretty ridiculous IMO. 

Agreed. Canon is ridiculous.

Heres a thought though... The Cine Alta cameras all have really nice color, F3/F5/F55, are they kind of limiting their lower end cameras by not unlocking the color the big brother models have? The F5 looks real nice to me. I love the F3 image. I suppose it is a different sensor, but how are the skin tones, green rendition, etc, so far off. 

5 hours ago, omar said:

Yea true. No matter how many times I try to leave canon I end up staying because of that wonderful image. Canon colors are just so juicy! Lol 

So hoping the c200 will be a game changer! 

Sorry to de rail your question. Really depends on what your needs are. Sounds like you're a Canon fanboy so I'd say stick with Canon. The 5D IV has really nice 1080p at full frame with the AF. The MJPG isn't as much of a pain as people make it out to be. It's ONLY one small step of converting your footage. I own a 1DC and strategically plan when to convert to ProRes and go watch a show on Netflix or YouTube while it goes ;) 

As soon as it's done I'm so happy with the color and the image quality. 

By the way I convert to 4k ProRes LT with a low bitrate. It cuts my original file sizes by 1/3 and it plays on my Mac like butter. Super smooth and easy to edit natively off an external hard drive on my MacBook Pro and iMac  

If it were my money, and I could afford either, I'd go with the Mark IV. Just take a look at Vimeo, IMO there are way more nicer 5D4 videos than GH5 videos even taking the fact that the 5D4 has been out 6 months longer into account.

Also, I find it peculiar that everybody gets the GH5 or the a7sii and then try their damnest to create this LUT or that LUT to get Canon color... Ummm...

Or they buy this camera or that camera because it has focus peaking but then complain about its autofocus. With Canon you don't really need focus peaking because the DPAF will be spot on every time. 

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Sorry to de rail your question. Really depends on what your needs are. Sounds like you're a Canon fanboy so I'd say stick with Canon. The 5D IV has really nice 1080p at full frame with the AF. The MJPG isn't as much of a pain as people make it out to be. It's ONLY one small step of converting your footage. I own a 1DC and strategically plan when to convert to ProRes and go watch a show on Netflix or YouTube while it goes ;) 

As soon as it's done I'm so happy with the color and the image quality. 

By the way I convert to 4k ProRes LT with a low bitrate. It cuts my original file sizes by 1/3 and it plays on my Mac like butter. Super smooth and easy to edit natively off an external hard drive on my MacBook Pro and iMac  

The first camera out of college I bought was the canon 5d mk ii and it was my work horse. And what's crazy is that the image still holds up today. Great and amazing camera. 

Also I was actually considering the 1dc over the 5d iv but the DPAF calls out to me lol. How do you like your 1dc and if you could would u trade it for a 5 d iv? 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

If it were my money, and I could afford either, I'd go with the Mark IV. Just take a look at Vimeo, IMO there are way more nicer 5D4 videos than GH5 videos even taking the fact that the 5D4 has been out 6 months longer into account.

Also, I find it peculiar that everybody gets the GH5 or the a7sii and then try their damnest to create this LUT or that LUT to get Canon color... Ummm...

Or they buy this camera or that camera because it has focus peaking but then complain about its autofocus. With Canon you don't really need focus peaking because the DPAF will be spot on every time. 

So true Mercer. I totally agree. I actually owned an A7s and, while it was a great camera, the color just wasn't doing it for me. I went through several cameras after that trying to figure out what was pleasing to me. I ended up shooting with an old 60d and fell back in love with canon for the easy menus and the wonderful colors. I could effortlessly use the camera and get a great image without so much work(wow I sound lazy lol).

Also, I actually owned an UM4.6k and returned it for a c100 mki. Canons DPAF, low light capabilities, color, ease of use, and reliability all made my decision to come back to canon so easy. And I didn't need 4K so yea. 

I guess my answer is becoming more clear guys! Canon, while stubborn and old fashioned, still tickles my fancy! lol I still will play around with my friends GH5 this weekend to see if I like it.

15 hours ago, omar said:

Agreed, wait a few days and see what Panasonic announces! Will hopefully give you the best of both worlds. 

JVC LS300 or Sony FS700 would also make interesting worthwhile supplementary cameras to your C100

10 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

C200 will more than likely have dual pixel autofocus, built in ND, flip out screen, compressed 4k, canon colors for the same or less price of a 1DX II. Seems like the perfect compromise to me. 

But a C200 / C100 mk3 probably will lack TC or SDI. 

Will only get FHD 120fps if we're lucky, or maybe do something twisted like 120fps but in 720P.

Will have 4K, but will be 4K 24p / UHD 30p and be 8bit 420 (maybe it will even be cropped like on the 5D mk4?? Kinda doubt it, but no kind of crippling Canon does would surprise me....)

All for a price even higher than the current C100 mk2!

Depending on price I'd jump on a C200. My current C100 is getting long in the tooth codec/fps/resolution wise.  I'm guessing they'll go with the C300/XC15 4:2:2, 8-bit 305Mbps  codec for 4K but hopefully surprise us with 10-bit to rival FS5. 

I've also been tempted to upgrade my 5D3 to 5D4 but have a real problem with the massive MJPEG codec, 1.7 crop & rolling shutter. Waiting to see what the 6D2 will be like. Could be Canon's opportunity to fix the 5D4's video shortcomings (although I don't expect a vast improvement).

30 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Just curious as to how many everybodies you are referring to with this quote???

Obviously I am referring to every single human being and extraterrestrial life force in the entire multiverse that purchased the GH5... what else would I mean?

Thanks though, I'll remember hyperbole is frowned upon on this forum.

??