Best software for capturing tapes from FireWire

HockeyFan12

I want to capture and archive some of my old tapes and I’ll be using a miniDV camcorder and Digital8 (yup) camcorder to capture them via FW800 to USB3 to USBC adapters… 

I just want to capture the tapes without worrying abut timecode and even if there are drop outs that’s okay, I don’t want capture to stop. It’s just for archiving home movies. Either one file per tape or one folder. And I want to capture the whole thing without audio drifting or having to restart capture at every time code discrepancy. 

FCP7 was what I used to use but it aborts capture on drop outs and is… too old. What software today is best for this? I’m just making an archive of old home movies. 

I am assuming Premiere Pro? What settings are best for this to make it as easy a job as possible? (I’d considered outsourcing but I sort of enjoy the process.)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I suppose if you used that Digital 8 or Mini DV and used the analog pass through, it wouldn't stop on dropped frames or glitches. There's a few hardware based solutions as well. I've never heard of anyone getting premiere pro to work properly for DV capture.

Lol yeah about what I feared.... it's funny that this is such a known issue. I posted on reduser and received similar replies. 

I have an analogue capture device somewhere but sort of like the idea of the copy being bit perfect (minus drop outs). Not sure why. I'm starting to suspect that houses digitizing tapes are using analogue cards instead of firewire. 

I'll try Premiere. Maybe iMovie 6 might be the ticket if I can get it to run.

I believe QuickTime 7 actually ignores dropouts. 

Or maybe I'm misremembering some of my past production experiences, but I think I may have been through this ringer once in days gone by, and Q7 got the job done. 

At any rate, I'm going to be archiving video stuff myself going back to the 1980's, so I have 3/4" to deal with as well...along with VHS, Beta, 8mm, SVHS, hi-8, DV, HDV, maybe even some Panasonic MII...so I feel your pain.