Mobile Light and WB for NX1 - my best experience

IKSLIM

Hello NX1 fan-club. Couple of months ago i published a video i shot completely at 120p 170MBs:

https://youtu.be/UyRyZzM5do8

Some of you mentioned nice and clean picture and asked me about a Light i’ve used during the interview. I’ve used Aputure 582 mark2 (CRI-95) model, and UHD-30p 170MBs mode.

Now i decided to share with you guys, my experience with NX1 LIGHT-wise.

Aputure 582 mark2 (CRI-95) is a great module, compact and really powerful, but it can produce weird skin-tones paired with NX1. That’s why i purchased fluorescent light set with “OSRAM 950 ColorProof” tubes. OSRAM 950 ColorProof paired with NX1 produce much better skin-tones. There is my completed video-interview-style project, shot on NX1 paired with OSRAM tubes:

https://youtu.be/uTI8i-FOuuM

As far as understand NX1 WhiteBalance algorithm, custom set and presets are just a general orientation for the camera. NX1 continue to fine tune WB during video-capture, even with custom WB set. From my experience, it is better to set one of the available WB-Presets, but Kelvin-WB and Custom-WB are the least used (because most inadequate). Now i think, NX1 sensor is really sensitive to the Light-spectrum. Any imperfections of the Light-Spectrum could potentially drive NX1 WB adjustments in a weird territory making skin-tones unpleasant.

Otherwise i have a set of three very inexpensive LED panels (big flat and cheep) from a Lerough-Merlen-Superstore (60x60 very flat, very soft light capable and easy to install light wight panels). Paired with NX1 works really good, unless i have to shot people. If i have to interview, OSRAM fluorescent light is definitely the way to go, caused by skin-tones reproduction.

Hope that could helps you guys Light-wise and WB set with NX1. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I guess you mean "Leroy Merlin" superstores. Can you link as the specific Osram and Leroy Merlin lights? I would never think of using hardware store lighting for video, but why not!

I agree with the WB comments, something really fishy is going on with it but I haven't figure out a certain way around it.

Any 95+ CRI led will do the job though, just be careful with the included gel (or plastics that used as gelatins) because almost always aren't what they are supposed to be, but this applies to all cameras in general, as it is a LED light specific issue and not in camera.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, Kisaha said:

Any 95+ CRI led will do the job though, just be careful with the included gel (or plastics that used as gelatins) because almost always aren't what they are supposed to be, but this applies to all cameras in general, as it is a LED light specific issue and not in camera.

Noup. I've learned that lesson only after i spent so much time and money to get knowledge. CRI+95 LED has nothing to do with CRI+95 fluorescent light. The nature of spectrum light is very different. You could go the same way i spent, or simply get familiar with the fact. I could declare: LED CRI+95 light is a commercial data. Of course LED+95 is better than general LED.

NX1 is a very sensitive instrument, thus it can see and measure the difference. I quit from M43 to NX1 because i've seen huge variations in whites from NX1, which reminds me the very old days with Fuji-S-5-Pro.

In fact, any LED-light could do the job, unless you don't bother on skin-tones a lot, or you have nice young talent in front of your camera. If you have to shoot people with unperfect skin, or you have in frame people with different skin-tone = you WILL get problems.

I guess you mean "Leroy Merlin" superstores. Can you link as the specific Osram and Leroy Merlin lights? I would never think of using hardware store lighting for video, but why not!

From Leroy i purchased inexpensive LED panels, which works acceptable WITHOUT a people in frame.

To get a Fluorescent light for VIDEO from Leroy - is a challenge because:

1. Flickering. Non every modern fluorescents acceptable for video.

2. You can not purchase OSRAM ColorProof from Leroy

I agree with the WB comments, something really fishy is going on with it but I haven't figure out a certain way around it.

With OSRAM ColorProof the WB and Exposition is Rock-Solid. I love the stability. I can declare: NX1 is a very sensitive instrument, thus, any light imperfections could drive NX1 creasy. I just finished one more video project with ColorProof:

Unfortunately, for your interest only a few seconds from the studio available, but i declare: I did NO collor correction, skin-tones are as natural as they are.

Also shots agains GreenScreen works good SkinTone-Wise, keeping in mind the fact: all Keying Plugins will affect the total picture balance, and skin tones also. Now i know, if i shot agains green screen with Aputure LED+95, i would get problems with face...

Hope that could be useful for you, guys.