Disable noise reduction?

Inazuma

Hey guys

I just got the camera and I'm liking it so far. One thing that's bugging me though is that there doesn't seem to be a way to disable noise reduction. Even with the setting on "Off" there is still quite a lot applied! Does anything think it could be disabled with the hack?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

No, you can't, that is the main complain we have with these cameras, and that you can't zoom in for focus while recording!

Even though this specific sensor seems like the most advanced crop sensor ever produced (28megapixels, first BSI ever, incredible fast readout - that is why it has the lowest 1080p rolling shutter than almost all the other cameras) the aggressive noise reduction they applied is destroying everything in higher ISO, especially in video, but in JPG as well (at least for photography it has raw).

Iwould like to hear your impressions after a little while with the camera, as I know you had/have other systems as well.

What lenses do you have? I am trying to avoid shooting above 1600ISO, and keep noise in minimum, it seems like the NR kicks in just after 2000ISO or something. The 16-50S 2-2.8f helps a lot in this, as it is the fastest zoom crop ever.

@Kisaha

Is it something that people have tried to do and failed or is the possibility simply unexplored?

I have the 16-50 f2-2.8. Incredible lens! And im really happy the focus ring works like a normal lens. 

What I don't like so far is the noise reduction and the rendering of green colours. It really struggles with capturing the subtle different colours and shades of foliage. If there is some way to improve this, please let me know :)

Yes, there is no way to change it, unfortunately it is somewhere deep inside, hidden and unable to manipulate it!

This is what I call a Unicorn lens, very groundbreaking characteristics, great combo and performance together.

The green color I set in 0.95 (instead of 1), you know that you can change most things in every profile? I mostly shoot 1080p for various reasons, so if people have more advices about the super sharp UHD modes can contribute more.

Never shoot above 1600 ISO unless you must, avoid anything above 3200 at all cost you will destroy your image. 

Change all settings in colours to R1.00 G0.95 B1.00 these are the colour settings because the cameras have green bias you will loose a lot of vibrant green colours. You can also do 0.90 with green works just fine too depends on what you prefer. 

Also get the hack either Kinoseed which is easiest to install but slowest to initiate at startup or Vasile's hack which is ultra fast but does not have as many features for picture mode. It sort of help with the loss of information duo to high ISO use, but most importantly it reduces compression artefacts in footage greatly.

Well, I purchased NXL from Luca. Paired with Samyang 24mm/f1.4 - i have a night solution. This video i shot with NX1+NXL+Samyang 24/1.4 handheld.

It was a complete dark night. The camera see definitely MORE than i could. Just take a look at the sky - you can see Night-Clouds! As far as i remember, the ISO was between 1600-3200 ISO.

The file is - original 4K NX1 converted into ProRes422. The size is huge - 460Mb.. I do not keep originals H265, sorry…

http://www.kwon.ru/2/SAM_2398.mov

On 5/7/2017 at 9:17 PM, Kisaha said:

Great! With the NXL the Samyang 24mm/1.4f becomes what? (what is the crop factor in focal length and f-aperture?)

Samyang 24mm +NXL >> 17mm

Have no idea on f stop, but it is brighter with NXL.

I love the fact NXL does not destroy quality of the picture as much as original Metabone SpeedBoosters purchased from USA..