Blackmagic Production Camera 4K shocks NAB - 4K for $4k, Compressed Raw, Super 35mm AND global shutter

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why are they still putting out betas? Hopefully Nikon will accelerate thier DX cameras or some one will gett he formfactor right and toss in a DX sensor

did everyone that paid a year ago get the original model.

did they get a refund.

did they solve the issues.

are black magic using monies camera purchase monies  over a 5-10 month window to pay china part costs.

a posh clever corporate version of a kickstarter.

not flaming or defaming just fuckin askin  :)

• Administrators

Most people didn't pay upfront for their pre-orders so no money changed hands. In some cases a dealer took some pre-order deposit money, like 10% or something. That is refundable any time and stays with the dealer, Blackmagic don't see a penny of it.

Pretty much everyone that ordered a year ago are yet to get their cameras. If that happens with the new ones I'll be very upset. We need this to work out.

thanks for the information.

a simple statement from the company saying all the original camera buyers,the  people that put a deposit down last year should get the first 500 cameras at a discount.

all the cameras for the first month should be offered to the original customers that showed faith and patience.

simply not mentioning these original failed orders would be a little foolish no matter how high the spec on these new july cameras are.

Pretty much everyone that ordered a year ago are yet to get their cameras. If that happens with the new ones I'll be very upset. We need this to work out.

this is why I am completely uninterested by this. So far they have only been a hype company, announcing spec/price interesting (with issues) cameras one after the other but never delivering. Can't believe they have the guts to announce a new camera when they still have not delivered on the original version yet the mft one.

The one thing I like about this company is that they put pressure on the others. That's it.

The pocket cinema camera is very cool on paper though and is what the gh3 should have been.

Now if they start to deliver, great. But so far zzzzzZZZZZzzzzz

These are my thoughts exactly - will they actually deliver?

Their track record suggests not!

Also, the guy @ NAB (when talking about the Pocket sized cam) said that Raw couldn't be sent to an SD card - so lots of mis-information.

Added to this, the sensors are all different ones & we haven't seen any footage yet (i mean come on!) - no answers to some of the most important questions. 

Also, people are talking about these cams as being RED etc...killers, but just look at the different choices for recording you get on a RED.

On another note, in a recent interview with David Fincher, he stated that he needed a smaller cam for The Social Network & asked RED to see if they could do something - that was Friday & by Monday they had a RED Scarlet for him.

I'm still playing the waiting game & would only buy the Pocket sized cam if there is definitely a Speed Booster & it works to an acceptable standard - I just don't believe the hype, it seems a marketing/advertising ploy.

I am interested to see how everyone else reacts, but i don't think they'll be quaking in their boots considering BMs track record...

On another note, in a recent interview with David Fincher, he stated that he needed a smaller cam for The Social Network & asked RED to see if they could do something - that was Friday & by Monday they had a RED Scarlet for him.

Is that supposed to be a good thing? Pandering to a Hollywood director, when they had thousands of early adopters waiting patiently for their R1 to Epic upgrades.

Is that supposed to be a good thing? Pandering to a Hollywood director, when they had thousands of early adopters waiting patiently for their R1 to Epic upgrades.

No of course not, but if you were them wouldn't you?

Also, read between the lines - in a weekend they could hack together something useable (not great, but useable).

So, could they mash something together to extend their position in the market place? They sure got rid of their old RED One's quickly enough when BM didn't ship.

Could be even more interesting times?

I just hope that BM have learnt their lesson & have really been developing these 2 cams all this time - hence the delays on their first cam.

But just look at the Dan Chung interview on the Pocket - no it won't do RAW to an SD card (the rep almost laughed at the suggestion) & the cam turned itself off v.quickly (over heating?). Got to remember these guys would have had a script that they couldn't budge from. 

Why does everything in this world have to be smaller, thinner, lighter, etc...

The pocket BMCC is awesome in terms of specs and price, but what kind of form factor is this? It is as big as my phone... It looks retarted and its hard to work with on a set. That's where this camera will be used right? On a set.

Or will this be a gadget to film your friends doing tequila shots with 13 stops DR?

If only camera manufacturers would build form factors that are actually pleasant to use as a camera, that would be great.

All this Black-Magic hype made me crack and order a BMCC from Adorama. Got any good recommendations for SSDs, Andrew?

Check out the new Crucial M500 SSDs. A 900GB drive is selling for under $600. Maxed out sequential write is 130+MB/s which is fine for shooting raw.

Edit: Er, let me retract that actually. Shooting 4K RAW at 30 fps will probably require something faster. Probably on the magnitude of 200MB/s.