Blackmagic Production Camera 4K shocks NAB - 4K for $4k, Compressed Raw, Super 35mm AND global shutter

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Blackmagic Production Camera (BMPC) 4K

This is just.... insane. Blackmagic are set to announce the Blackmagic Production Camera with 4K Super 35mm global shutter sensor and a Pocket Cinema Camera with Super 16mm sensor, raw and active Micro Four Thirds mount.

Apart from the form factor remaining the same, Blackmagic have done everything we could ever have hoped (dreamed?) for with the V2.0 camera. I have to say the pricing is completely bonkers. Just $1000 more for 4K AND a larger sensor AND a global shutter AND compressed Cinema DNG!

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10018/blackmagic-production-camera-4k-shocks-nab-4k-for-4k-compressed-raw-super-35mm-and-global-shutter]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

As I read on Personal View forums, it might be the case that with the BMPCC raw recording is only possible on an external recorder, so you would have 1080p Prores on SD in camera. That would explain the low price.

If it could record raw in camera on SD, that would be completely awesome, but I wouldn't mind ProRes on SD with raw ability with an external recorder.

I would love to have compressed DNG over uncompressed, especially in the BMPCC, but maybe processing costs more processing power?

We'll hear more in the official announcement I guess. Can't wait!

Well after endlessly waiting and being stuck with a 550D for years and years, with everything else being non-standard sensor size or low bitrate or not much better and so on, I finally preordered a different camera!

4K S35, RAW or ProRes.

I look forward to a years time when I get it.

EDIT: The M4/3 version was indeed an error. I'm sure the other option will be PL mount of some kind.

Canon won't revise their prices.. For one they are still 99.9% all about photography which Canon/Nikon have a stranglehold of, photographers interested in video will still buy Canons out of convenience, I can see a C100 price drop in the near future but nothing in terms of DSLRs since they'd still sell perfectly fine as solely photographic tools.

Soccer mums aren't going to stop buying Rabals just because Blackmagic makes better cameras for video.

Fantastic news.  And also nicely complementary to the existing camera.  I suspect the original will offer better dynamic range than the Production Camera, as well as the slightly lower price.  Demand will be massive for these new cameras, so existing owners can shoot with the original cam and then upgrade when the new models are available.  

Executives at Canon, Nikon, Sony and Panasonic will be very, very worried.  And they only have themselves to blame.

• Administrators

Updated the article. CVP had a M43 mount version for pre-order. This was a mistake. EF mount only.

Hopefully there will be a mention of E-mount somewhere in the official info when it comes in the next few hours.

Updated the article. CVP had a M43 mount version for pre-order. This was a mistake. EF mount only.

Hopefully there will be a mention of E-mount somewhere in the official info when it comes in the next few hours.

My vote goes to FZ Mount. Same flange focal distance (18mm), more robust and intended for S35mm frame size.