Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blackmagic Production Camera 4K shocks NAB - 4K for $4k, Compressed Raw, Super 35mm AND global shutter

55 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Blackmagic Production Camera (BMPC) 4K

This is just.... insane. Blackmagic are set to announce the Blackmagic Production Camera with 4K Super 35mm global shutter sensor and a Pocket Cinema Camera with Super 16mm sensor, raw and active Micro Four Thirds mount.

Apart from the form factor remaining the same, Blackmagic have done everything we could ever have hoped (dreamed?) for with the V2.0 camera. I have to say the pricing is completely bonkers. Just $1000 more for 4K AND a larger sensor AND a global shutter AND compressed Cinema DNG!

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10018/blackmagic-production-camera-4k-shocks-nab-4k-for-4k-compressed-raw-super-35mm-and-global-shutter]Read the full article here[/url]

Posted · Report post

The BMPCC is so awesomely cool. 1080 RAW is perfect. I'm worried about storage and battery, but it doesn't matter. I can't wait for the announcement today.

Posted · Report post

its all GO at NAB !!!

we are all going to be very happy if both these cameras are available soon this year.......

Posted · Report post

As I read on Personal View forums, it might be the case that with the BMPCC raw recording is only possible on an external recorder, so you would have 1080p Prores on SD in camera. That would explain the low price.

If it could record raw in camera on SD, that would be completely awesome, but I wouldn't mind ProRes on SD with raw ability with an external recorder.

I would love to have compressed DNG over uncompressed, especially in the BMPCC, but maybe processing costs more processing power?

We'll hear more in the official announcement I guess. Can't wait!

Posted · Report post

Well after endlessly waiting and being stuck with a 550D for years and years, with everything else being non-standard sensor size or low bitrate or not much better and so on, I finally preordered a different camera!

4K S35, RAW or ProRes.

I look forward to a years time when I get it.

EDIT: The M4/3 version was indeed an error. I'm sure the other option will be PL mount of some kind.

Posted · Report post

Pre-ordered earlier (4K cam).... Quite a strange feeling, pre-ordering, then waiting for the announcement!

NikolaOvcharski likes this

Posted · Report post

The 4K S35 camera is insane, but somehow I am more excited about the S16 pocket camera.

YEAH!!!

I can see Canon etc revising their prices...

Posted · Report post

Canon won't revise their prices.. For one they are still 99.9% all about photography which Canon/Nikon have a stranglehold of, photographers interested in video will still buy Canons out of convenience, I can see a C100 price drop in the near future but nothing in terms of DSLRs since they'd still sell perfectly fine as solely photographic tools.

Soccer mums aren't going to stop buying Rabals just because Blackmagic makes better cameras for video.

Posted · Report post

Patience has paid off. :)

I think we can assume it'll be just a matter of time for MFT on the 4K cam as well.

The 7-14 lens will be in demand. Wish Panny would update that.

Posted · Report post

Fantastic news.  And also nicely complementary to the existing camera.  I suspect the original will offer better dynamic range than the Production Camera, as well as the slightly lower price.  Demand will be massive for these new cameras, so existing owners can shoot with the original cam and then upgrade when the new models are available.  

Executives at Canon, Nikon, Sony and Panasonic will be very, very worried.  And they only have themselves to blame.

Posted · Report post

Updated the article. CVP had a M43 mount version for pre-order. This was a mistake. EF mount only.

Hopefully there will be a mention of E-mount somewhere in the official info when it comes in the next few hours.

Posted · Report post

The 13 stops of dynamic range spec suggests the pocket camera will use the same sensor as the existing camera, just reading a smaller window from chip.  

Posted · Report post

CinemaDNG has supported mathematically lossless (roughly 2:1) compression for a while. A CineForm RAW option would've been ideal.

Posted · Report post

Wow.  Gambled and bought the 1DC and BMC does the 4K for $4K.   Might have to buy a second camera.

Posted · Report post

Hope RED and Sony not sue Blackmagic... they kick all competitors ass so hard this time <_<

Posted · Report post

After seeing this,https://vimeo.com/62959319, and with these new specs, seriously thinking of switching from Nikon to BCC for video. Someone educate me, would I be able to use my Nikkor lenes?

Posted · Report post

Updated the article. CVP had a M43 mount version for pre-order. This was a mistake. EF mount only.

Hopefully there will be a mention of E-mount somewhere in the official info when it comes in the next few hours.

My vote goes to FZ Mount. Same flange focal distance (18mm), more robust and intended for S35mm frame size.

Posted · Report post

You could buy a Leica M10 and a BMPC for less than a 1D C.
Chrad likes this

Posted · Report post

Global shutter, that alone will get alot of people to pick this up, BM is knocking down the doors on the bigger competitors. Very excited.

Posted · Report post

Problem is, we don't know anything about the sensor in the 4K camera, especially dynamic range. I have an unsettling suspicion that it's the CMOSIS CMV12000, which gets 10 stops at most without HDR. It has three HDR modes, none of which is particularly suited for film/video work. At least the BAE CIS2051 had dual (high-gain and no-gain) readouts that were merged to yield 13+ stops of dynamic range (and effectively 16-bit A-D conversion). The CMV12000 is an enormously expensive chip at this price point -- its per-unit cost of something close to $1,500 amounts to more than a third of the camera's purchase price, not just its cost to manufacture.

Posted · Report post

Hope they thought about production quantity, because demand will be enourmous!
So Pocket Camera is 3x crop, but if the image quality is the same as the first BMCC - thats not a problem for the price.