C100 mkiii

Dave Maze

9 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I just had an "on the record" conversation with the a canon rep today on the show floor and brought up the whole "lack of 4k across the board" issue. They told me that the Japanese corporate people just don't get it but now are seeing some serious impact from Panasonic and Sony. He said their philosophy is that people who buy 77d and t7i don't need 4k but I said the 80d is a great video camera and they should add 4k to that model. He said a 90d with 4k would make sense but not to get our hopes up. 

I also spoke to a Panasonic rep today who told me that he was on the airplane sitting next to a Canon rep and the Canon rep told him "you and Sony are eating our lunch in the lower end and the a9 is a serious hit to our high end." The Panasonic rep said this is the first year that Canon reps have the humility and lack of ego/ pride that they normally do. 

Also, I spoke to the Canon rep about the c100 mk3. He said it does exist. It's just not here and he couldn't tell me when we will see it. He couldn't confirm any specs. I'll try to dig more on them tomorrow :) 

Nice work, Dave. A competitively priced C100 Mk3, with 4K, would seriously tempt me over to Canon again and would represent a worthwhile upgrade on the Sony A7SII. I suspect I wouldn't be the only one thinking this and it could be a great way for Canon to befriend filmmakers who want to take a step beyond DSLR/Mirrorless.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

...this is the first year that Canon reps have the humility and lack of ego/ pride that they normally do...

See... this... we've been saying it for years.... Canonrumors forum peeps - always throw the same old - Canon is number 1 & making the money to prove it - argument.

Their foundation is crumbling - they refused to believe it.

All the vloggers are switching and prompting the switch - what did they expect to happen? 

26 minutes ago, mkabi said:

See... this... we've been saying it for years....

And you've been wrong for years.  We were told that the NX1 would put Canon to shame...  a few months later Samsung unceremoniously exited the camera business.  Camera gear is expensive.  For video people jumping from system to unproven system may make sense but for photographers changing systems is rare.

26 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

And you've been wrong for years.  We were told that the NX1 would put Canon to shame...  a few months later Samsung unceremoniously exited the camera business.  Camera gear is expensive.  For video people jumping from system to unproven system may make sense but for photographers changing systems is rare.

Alright buddy, go tell them Canon reps to keep their humility and ego intact.

2 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Alright buddy, go tell them Canon reps to keep their humility and ego intact.

You miss the point, Canon is still selling well their cameras because of their selling model, the depreciation is very low each year for most of their cameras, Sony cameras could easily depreciated 40% in a year, also their great innovations like DPAF, and of course skintones which is the best in DSLR market....As soon as Canon release a new DSLR with 4k (with the right codec) and better crop factor (around 1.3x) we will have them again in the top selling place, I agree they react very late, but you will see if the rumors about the C100iii are accurate, they will be selling that camera like hot cakes at the end of the year....

1 minute ago, hijodeibn said:

You miss the point, Canon is still selling well their cameras because of their selling model, the depreciation is very low each year for most of their cameras, Sony cameras could easily depreciated 40% in a year, also their great innovations like DPAF, and of course skintones which is the best in DSLR market....As soon as Canon release a new DSLR with 4k (with the right codec) and better crop factor (around 1.3x) we will have them again in the top selling place, I agree they react very late, but you will see if the rumors about the C100iii are accurate, they will be selling that camera like hot cakes at the end of the year....

We will see about the C100iii after its out.... 

But, as you point out... if Canon is doing so well... why worry? Whats knocking these Canon reps off their high horses?

At this point, you don't need to convince me... convince the Canon reps...

1 minute ago, mkabi said:

We will see about the C100iii after its out.... 

But, as you point out... if Canon is doing so well... why worry? Whats knocking these Canon reps off their high horses?

At this point, you don't need to convince me... convince the Canon reps...

I guess (and I am only guessing), Canon is not getting the great selling numbers of previous years, which in the long term could damage their selling strategy, but it can be easily reversed as soon as Canon release something similar to the competitors, why?, because of everybody will choose Canon color over any other camera competitor, Sony color is just crap!!!, Panasonic better but still not there....anyway, this is good news for all of us, Canon will have to react at some point, and we the customers are going to get a great camera at an affordable price.....

See the new thread C200...as this is what I have learned is what they are calling this camera.

One thing that I thought was interesting was what Alexander Sax told me today. The cinema camera market pulls in $150 million a year. Which is such a fraction of what Canon makes a year which is a total of almost $20 BILLION! Even when Canon USA and the Canon Cine people talk to the high ups about implementing 4k in their lower end models, they look at their profits and compare to Sony/ Nikon/ fuji/ Panasonic and they are still out selling the other companies. So its hard for the Japanese suits to get it and to implement. 

Again, wait for Cinegear 2017. That's all that I am hearing and I will hold out for it...............

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Yes. There was a leak. I am not saying anything and I didn't post this. I may or may not have heard something tonight at a party :) 

It may or may not have been a reputable source but from what I was told it sounds like the perfect camera. We will see tomorrow 

Did we see?

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, DaveAltizer said:

I just had an "on the record" conversation with the a canon rep today on the show floor and brought up the whole "lack of 4k across the board" issue. They told me that the Japanese corporate people just don't get it but now are seeing some serious impact from Panasonic and Sony. He said their philosophy is that people who buy 77d and t7i don't need 4k but I said the 80d is a great video camera and they should add 4k to that model. He said a 90d with 4k would make sense but not to get our hopes up. 

I also spoke to a Panasonic rep today who told me that he was on the airplane sitting next to a Canon rep and the Canon rep told him "you and Sony are eating our lunch in the lower end and the a9 is a serious hit to our high end." The Panasonic rep said this is the first year that Canon reps have the humility and lack of ego/ pride that they normally do. 

Also, I spoke to the Canon rep about the c100 mk3. He said it does exist. It's just not here and he couldn't tell me when we will see it. He couldn't confirm any specs. I'll try to dig more on them tomorrow :) 

The reason those lower end models don't have 4K video is because they rely on hardware encoding for video, and the current crop of Digic processors can only do that with active cooling. So don't expect 4K video on those models until the Digic processors catch up to the competition in terms of thermal performance. It isn't a case of Canon corporate not understanding the need for 4K in those models, it is a case of your rep not understanding (or not wanting to admit to) the limitations of the processor tech available to Canon.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:24 AM, Damphousse said:

But the NX1 does put Canon to shame. Two + years on, and it is still a cutting edge camera. The fact that Samsung did not see significant profit in the future of the market does not make the NX1 any less ahead of it's time than it was. The NX1 was an example of what Canon SHOULD have been doing as a supposed market leader. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2017 at 4:04 PM, tugela said:

But the NX1 does put Canon to shame.

Cool.  You convinced me.  I will head by my local Best Buy and check it out and compare it to the Canon models on the shelf.

4 hours ago, sandro said:

Well guys no good news, kinda.

The service center just called me and said they can't repair the sensor cause they don't know if they'll ever get the part or a new NX1 to give me as a replacement. So they offered me a full refund. Problem is if I accept it I'm out of options since I can't get a new one (not being sold anymore) and I can't find a valid substitute for the same money. Basically either i keep the defective product or I lose it. What would you do? :(

They screwed me!

Another happy NX1 customer.

Can you imagine?  If you owned five or more high end lenses like I do for my Canon cameras I would be pissed.