Sony A7S Mark 3 - What to expect

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Love your work and I totally agree with your statements. If you haven't yet check out my video on why you should skip the Sony A9 to wait for the Sony A7SIII. I really hooooooooppe Sony get it together and take video shooters seriously now. Panasonic has and it isn't very hard to say "ok we need these features so users can feel they have it all in one body and don't want to have multiple bodies if they don't need to". http://bit.ly/skipthesonya9 

I don't think the new Sony 24 MP stacked sensor is fast enough for 60 fps full sensor readout, even for the 30 fps they had to reduce the read out surface area (because of that it has a crop factor compared to 24 and 25 fps).

My bet is on a new and faster 12 MP sensor, just ready for 4K 60p. Sony will do everything in it's power to differentiate the models as much as possible. If you want speed, get the A9, if you want resolution get the A9R, if you are interested in video get the A7sIII or A9s. :) For them it wold be ideal if you buy them all. :)

I am quite sure

• when the A7R m3 / A7S m3 (or A9R / A9S) will be announced with improved ergonomics and features will cost 3.900 - 4.500 USD...
  • there will not be 4.2.2 10bit internal recording (4.2.0 8bit only)

Improvements I wish: Battery life, PDAF on the A7S-version, touch screen (tiltable), usable LCD-Display in daylight, improved IBIS.

But hey guys, let's await the cameras - at the end of the day all of us (mostly) already have decent devices to shoot with at the moment and nowadays are great times for shooters, as there are many camera options from 500 USD to 70.000 USD (and of course more) on the market, already covering all requirements, needs and wishes...

I wouldn't be surprised if they put the A9 sensor in an A7S body for a video oriented release. Given the advances in sensor technology, it is possible that it would be just as good in low light as the A7Sii as both have full pixel readout. The advantages of a 24 MP sensor are clear for photography and video, and give you digital zoom/full 4K at super 35. Maybe even 4K/60p at super 35 if the readout is fast enough, and hopefully better quality for 120 fps. The new longer life battery would be a bonus, but dual cards are not essential as video users are used to dual recording. Improved AF and a more affordable price would make for a very attractive option.

Since we're discussing the A7SIII, quick question and opinion. I film using a Canon 7D MKII and for a while have been tempted to move onto to Sony.

I thought they would have announced the A7SIII by now but it doesn't seem to be happening. I'm just afraid that if I go for the A7SII now, not too long after the A7SIII will come along as many assume that it is due.  Opinions?

On April 23, 2017 at 7:26 PM, DaveAltizer said:

I was just at the Sony press release and spoke to a Sony Rep. there was literally nothing interesting at the press release. I told the rep I was hoping for a Sony a9s and he asked me why? I told him it's because I want Slog and better video features. He then asked me "why why don't you just get an a7S II?" I said I want phase detect autofocus and the better battery. He then said "well you're going to have to wait a long time."

conclusion:

nothing new here. Looks like we will wait at least another 6 months before we see anything.

Thank you for your reports Dave. Can you ask the Sony guy if an A7000 is expected sooner than A7s3?

On 4/23/2017 at 6:26 PM, DaveAltizer said:

I was just at the Sony press release and spoke to a Sony Rep. there was literally nothing interesting at the press release. I told the rep I was hoping for a Sony a9s and he asked me why? I told him it's because I want Slog and better video features. He then asked me "why why don't you just get an a7S II?" I said I want phase detect autofocus and the better battery. He then said "well you're going to have to wait a long time."

conclusion:

nothing new here. Looks like we will wait at least another 6 months before we see anything.

yeah, 6 months is about right.  A "long time" for Sony is measured in months unlike some other companies where a long time is measured in years :-) hahahahahah...  Yep, biggest issue for me with the A7sii is the autofusing...  and the limited 12mpixels for stills.  Increase it to about 18  and I will be content for a long time.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, DaveAltizer said:

conclusion:

At least I got a free cookie. 

51467882045__CF2D450B-B19A-4C10-ACE4-A04AF60EB973.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

He is not going to give you advance information on new products. Until those are officially launched, marketing people will just give you blank stares. Telling some Joe Blow in the exhibition room unreleased company secrets is a good way to get yourself fired. And in any case, the marketing people on the floor are probably the last people in the company to find out about new stuff (just to ensure that they don't accidently blab the news to people like you).

21 hours ago, nagual said:

Can somebody explain why the author consider A7S 3 instead of A7R 3? Isn't A7R3 more desirable 'all around' camera?

Because the A7SIII would be a video specific camera. The A7RIII is primarily a stills camera, that would compete directly with the A9, so it would be released some time later so as to not interfere with the early sales that are critical for development cost recovery.

8 hours ago, Shaisgs said:

I thought they would have announced the A7SIII by now but it doesn't seem to be happening. I'm just afraid that if I go for the A7SII now, not too long after the A7SIII will come along as many assume that it is due.  Opinions?

There won't be an A7sIII this year at least. And when there is, the A7sII will still be an extremely viable camera.

2 hours ago, tugela said:

He is not going to give you advance information on new products. Until those are officially launched, marketing people will just give you blank stares. Telling some Joe Blow in the exhibition room unreleased company secrets is a good way to get yourself fired. And in any case, the marketing people on the floor are probably the last people in the company to find out about new stuff (just to ensure that they don't accidently blab the news to people like you).

Not really. Most of the reps at trade shows and events like this have a fair idea of what's going on - they need to, as generally the shows are populated not by Joe Blows but by professional users who have specific questions and specific use cases they need/want to know about. 

Sony reps would/should at least know whether an A7III series or A9r/s is at least in the pipeline, and whether it's due for immediate release or only very early stages of development.

As an example, I attended a Panasonic event in March last year and was told that the GH5 would be 'more likely IBC time'

1 hour ago, jax_rox said:

There won't be an A7sIII this year at least. And when there is, the A7sII will still be an extremely viable camera.

Not really. Most of the reps at trade shows and events like this have a fair idea of what's going on - they need to, as generally the shows are populated not by Joe Blows but by professional users who have specific questions and specific use cases they need/want to know about. 

Sony reps would/should at least know whether an A7III series or A9r/s is at least in the pipeline, and whether it's due for immediate release or only very early stages of development.

As an example, I attended a Panasonic event in March last year and was told that the GH5 would be 'more likely IBC time'

They are not going to tell you that other than guessing on their part. They don't know any more than you. That sort of product information is not transmitted to field marketing people until an announcement has been made, or just before it is made. The reason is to prevent inadvertent disclosure, so it is handled on a need to know basis. The only information those guys would know is the information corporate has provided to them, and you can bet your last dollar that is not going to include development status of unannounced products. Corporate does NOT want the competition to know what they have in the pipeline, or when it might be expected to appear, until they are good and ready to tell the world.

If one of these guys really was privy to that sort of information and was so cavalier about it that they were telling any random person who asked, they would not have their job for very long. They would be fired for breaching the confidentiality clauses in their employment contract. Tech companies take those things very seriously.

3 hours ago, tugela said:

They are not going to tell you that other than guessing on their part. They don't know any more than you. That sort of product information is not transmitted to field marketing people until an announcement has been made

You're assuming the people at these events are just marketing underlings.

That's often not the case

Sony is Not going to sell many A9r, A9s cameras at 4500 bucks! They can forget that Ever happening. Heck you would just go buy a FS5 for not much more. Ain't happening.

And if they sell them cheaper than the A9, then those people will be pissed. I think they may have put themselves in a box here. Sony might have screwed up? Time will tell.

If there is an A7siii or not, I don't think it has anything to do with the A9.

The A9 is a high end camera for Journalists basically and not aimed at the movie making market.       When the A7siii comes is anyone's guess(my guess would be early next year though would be nice if it was earlier).

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was an A9R or similar, I doubt there will ever be an A9s as that would other wise be pretty much the pro Sony video area that they are already in.

Maybe in a few generations Sony might be ready for a Sony version of the 1DC but don't think the demand will be there.

My guesses would be

A9 just released

A7siii and A7iii and A7Riii to come within a year.

A9ii and A9R IF the A9 sells well (and I think it will be a big hit) a bit later than the A7iii cameras.

A10 in a few years time about the size of a matchbox and does the lot.