Canon 5D Mark IV Officially Adds C-log for $99

Hanriverprod

In a move to help meet the demands of professional filmmakers, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the availability of a feature upgrade for the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR camera that will add the ability to record with Canon Log. With this upgrade, the EOS 5D Mark IV can achieve a cinematic look similar to what can be achieved using Cinema EOS cameras, allowing it to serve as a second camera on a Cinema EOS shoot or to stand alone as a cinema camera. Current EOS 5D Mark IV camera owners can have the Canon Log feature upgrade installed for $99 at any of the Canon service centers across the U.S. starting in July. The camera will also be available for sale (body only) with the feature upgrade pre-installed starting in July, with an estimated retail price of $3,599.00*.

Canon Log uses the image sensor’s characteristics in a way that allows for a wide dynamic range, minimal loss of detail in shadows and highlight areas and an increased range of choices when color grading. Color grading options available with Canon Log include optimized color saturation, accurate colors with minor color bias, visual continuity and accurate skin tones.

Canon Log also works with and complements several EOS 5D Mark IV camera features including 4K shooting, Dual Pixel CMOS AF, high speed 119.9p shooting in HD and 59.94p shooting in Full HD. Additional features include Movie Servo AF allowing the camera to focus on a subject even when the shutter button is not used, the ability to register custom shooting modes in Canon Log and movie shooting in Canon Log on a compatible iOS® or Android™ device using the free Canon Camera Connect app1.

To learn more about the feature upgrade and how to get it installed, please visit

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/explore/see-legendary/canon-log

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, Hanriverprod said:

Yeah, the GH5 is looking better every day with this news and the video crippled A9. Just wish the 400mbs codec was released so we could see what the 10bit is really like.

The 1080p in 10bit 4:2:2 at 200 Mbps All-I (up to 60fps) update comes next week, that should be pretty nice for many applications where 4k isn't needed.

5 minutes ago, Phil A said:

The 1080p in 10bit 4:2:2 at 200 Mbps All-I (up to 60fps) update comes next week, that should be pretty nice for many applications where 4k isn't needed.

It looks like Panasonic is going to really support and focus on this camera which is great for its owners. Maybe it will rub off on Canon.

• Super Members

'Current EOS 5D Mark IV camera owners can have the Canon Log feature upgrade installed for $99 at any of the Canon service centers across the U.S. starting in July.'

WTF??

Looks like Canon have noted Panasonic's "we'll send you it in the mail" approach to log upgrades and gone "Nah, fuck that....lets go utterly retro and make them actually physically bring the camera to us to have it done".

Strikes me as a bit suspicious that you have to take it to them. Is this their sneaky way of getting a firmware and hardware mod on that locks Magic Lantern out of it permanently thereby ensuring no one gets a free ride from buying future Canon cameras whilst simultaneously making them $99 a time for the upgrade and saving them that darn $2.99 on postage into the bargain? Fiendish if so.

1 hour ago, Hanriverprod said:

Yeah, the GH5 is looking better every day with this news and the video crippled A9. Just wish the 400mbs codec was released so we could see what the 10bit is really like.

This is very disappointing....certainly without the crop reduction the 5D4 didn`t give us enough.....a 5D3 with 4K ML looks to me the way to go....

I just spoke with a technician at Canon. I told her that the 1DX Mark II should also receive the Canon Log upgrade. She was very nice and said she'd pass that along.

You all should call, too. The number is 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666). Select "Technical Support" to speak with a representative. Maybe if enough of us call them, they'll add Log to the 1DX II.

Another bad joke from Canon:  insulting for previous 5D4 owners, insulting for 1Dx2 owners but who cares about the 5D4 for video actually ? Even with free LOG, the codec and crop make this camera useless for video work.

The A9 is in a different league. Let's wait for the A7S3 now.

Well I have to confess... this pisses me off. Not only did they not fix the crop, but they also pretty much gave a big FU to the owners of the 1DXMkII. A camera that many have argued needed C-Log from even before launch. The annoying thing is the hardware in these cameras is more than capable of producing 14 bit raw at 24p, or 60p. It is simply a neutered in order to protect the Cinema line. Personally, if my intention was only to shoot video I would not choose the DSLR form factor. And I believe the same is true for most of us. Crippling the capabilities of these cameras is pure BS. I feel like the only real threat to Canon is Sony. It they can somehow fix their color science and perhaps increase their bit depth to 12 bits... as I'm not certain 10bits is a huge difference. Then they will have a real winner on their hands. But it cannot be in the A7 series... it must be in the larger A9 series. As a larger battery is needed. Also there needs to be ample space to allow for heatsinks to dissipate heat.

Dam you Canon... 

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

'Current EOS 5D Mark IV camera owners can have the Canon Log feature upgrade installed for $99 at any of the Canon service centers across the U.S. starting in July.'

WTF??

Looks like Canon have noted Panasonic's "we'll send you it in the mail" approach to log upgrades and gone "Nah, fuck that....lets go utterly retro and make them actually physically bring the camera to us to have it done".

Strikes me as a bit suspicious that you have to take it to them. Is this their sneaky way of getting a firmware and hardware mod on that locks Magic Lantern out of it permanently thereby ensuring no one gets a free ride from buying future Canon cameras whilst simultaneously making them $99 a time for the upgrade and saving them that darn $2.99 on postage into the bargain? Fiendish if so.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Knocks ML out of the game on it, at least for awhile.