Sony A9 - announcement live stream

Hene1

@Don Kotlos

My guess is, Sony recognized that the market for such called "enthusiasts" (requiring 16k 4.4.4) is a minor niche market. The place to make profits is higher end photography and photo journalists spending a lot of money, not just in third party adapters and bells and whistles, but in native lenses and expensive native gear...And that said, 99,5% of journalists don't care about 4K, they don't even know a dime about S-LOG...They don't have compute power to edit 4K, most of them just send a max. of 1080p footage to their office to an editor, who uses Magix Video x or Corel to edit the footage...Just my 2 cents....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I guess, there is a (high megapixel) A7R iii AND a A7S iii to be announced in the next 12 months...The A9 addresses the HFR shooters - documentary and photo journalism - trying to attack Canons and Nikons "sweet spots", 1DX m2 and D5 with insane AF-points, high FR and a much cheaper price...Never forget, Sony is only challenger in this market, CanoNikon hold together nearly 75% of the market...

11 minutes ago, leeys said:

Full dynamic range is only with raw; all other formats have the tone curve baked in to a certain extent. That's why LOG is neat, since the there's a bit more latitude to play with when grading.

But why can't they put in an option to change that curve?

60 fps AF/AE calculation implies that it's maximum focusing speed is faster than Canon's DPAF (0.03 sec). A quick calculation suggests that the focusing speed of the A9 is 0.017 sec.

6 minutes ago, elgabogomez said:

No slog (if true) means this camera is not sony's response to the gh5. That's why this is not during NAB and there's hope for a7* III and 10bit external very soon 

It is intended to be a professional stills camera, so not really video orientated although obviously it can shoot video as well.

1 hour ago, Germy1979 said:

This is a righteous camera, but I don't think it's the one we're waiting on.  That 100mbps codec kind of tells me there's another one en route.

Or, it indicates that Sony are still in the practice of protecting their prosumer video cameras. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Should be better now. My host did a great job. Interest in this camera is huge it seems. 65,000 requests on the server in last hour!

You didn't get the fanboi memo explaining that no one is interested in Sony cameras?

@tugela

It is intended to be a professional stills camera, so not really video orientated although obviously it can shoot video as well.

Yeah...and ethernet port for immediate FTP file transfer...One more proof for mainly addressing journalists, documentarists and photographers...

I don't think this is a response to anything but something Sony HAD to do.

There have been rumours/threads/wishes for the "mythical" A9 since the A7 first appeared and it probably reached the point that they thought now would be good.

This has likely been in development for ages and maybe had dozens of prototypes.

This is a show piece aimed at Pro photo journalists for stills but with half decent video too since those people do need video now.

I would love one but just as the GH5 is way too much camera for my video needs, this is way too much camera for my stills needs (and too rich for my blood).

I look forward to a lower level FF mirrorless camera though.

Well done Sony, the way tech is advancing means cameras beyond phones for a little while yet.

3 hours ago, forofilms said:

How about 4k 60p? Any mention?

Pretty amazing to me that at $4,500 U.S., there's no 4K60p. To me this proves that Sony still can't figure out the overheating issue after all this time. IMO they should go to a large enough body where they can combat overheating...as long as it's not the size of a house. :)

@Ken Ross

Pretty amazing to me that at $4,500 U.S., there's no 4K60p.

Hmm.. @noone says

This is a show piece aimed at Pro photo journalists for stills but with half decent video too since those people do need video now.

There is NO photojournalist needing 4K 60fps. This is an enthusiast overrated requirement. Try to send this amount of data from Burundi to your editorial office in New York, Berlin or Paris. Even in Kaukasus, LTE (4g) doesn't work constantly...These requiremets are just a parallel universe for journalism and documentary...Nothing real/useful or needed...

3 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@Ken Ross

Hmm.. @noone says

There is NO photojournalist needing 4K 60fps. This is an enthusiast overrated requirement. Try to send this amount of data from Burundi to your editorial office in New York, Berlin or Paris. Even in Kaukasus, LTE (4g) doesn't work constantly...These requiremets are just a parallel universe for journalism and documentary...Nothing real/useful or needed...

OK then, if you're happier with calling it 'half decent video', that's fine. ;) 

1 hour ago, leeys said:

No way will that ISO be suitable for pro work. At the end of the day even with the best Nikon/Canon a f/2.8 lens is still needed when shooting sport in a stadium at night. Sony doesn't have any superteles unlike Nikon and Canon.

This camera is basically a A7s MkII on steroids! In this day and age you can shoot higher ISO's than you ever imagined. Why is everyone hung up on not shooting above ISO 800?? What the hell! This camera can do just that, shoot high ISO's. You really don't need super fast lenses anymore? Canon and Nikon, as of today, just sucked ASS big time. Game on!!

@Ken Ross

OK then, if you're happier with calling it 'half decent video', that's fine.

(Photo)journalists don't care about the unrealistic phantasy or parallel universe of "enthusiasts". Dreaming around doesn't make profit. Only sharp photos/1080p footage with decent compositon and unique selling points - ready to send and immediately published - are profitable. It's all about capture the moment - and publish it, as fast as you can. Neither place nor time for dreaming or tweaking around... ;)

Just try to find some reliable (not lunatic) infos about bitrates and quality requirements for US- or European broadcasting, relevant for photo- and video journalists. You'll be very surprized: there is no 4K 60fps. Just try to quit a phantasy world and dive for some moments in reality...

7 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

(Photo)journalists don't care about the unrealistic phantasy or parallel universe of "enthusiasts". Dreaming around doesn't make profit. Only sharp photos/1080p footage with decent compositon and unique selling points - ready to send and immediately published - are profitable. It's all about capture the moment - and publish it, as fast as you can. Neither place nor time for dreaming or tweaking around... ;)

Just try to find some reliable (not lunatic) infos about bitrates and quality requirements for US- or European broadcasting, relevant for photo- and video journalists. You'll be very surprized: there is no 4K 60fps. Just try to quit a phantasy world and dive for some moments in reality...

This camera is NOT meant for Us to buy. It is a Wedding, Photojournalist camera meant to upload data from the field to some office, hell half way around the world. That is the reason for the Ethernet port.

You can only move so much data, in most places sad to say quickly, and that is why this camera will kill Canon and Nikon top offerings. Sony just hit a total Home run on this camera. Hell even the Paparazzi will buy this in droves!