Sony A9 - announcement live stream

Hene1

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Semi-excited (I guess that is what the Oscars feel to others?).

You can pre-order one of my kidneys, I need to get prepared in case something good gets announced.

Looking forward to an even smaller 4k fullframe camera with fully articulate screen (ribbon cable MBF 1 month though), 10bit 4:2:2 recording (overheating after 5 minute though), fast and accurate PDAF (but with a 3 page menu to setup that loses settings when you change focus mode), with a new higher res EVF & screen (which dim to 10% brightness when recording) and 240fps VFR mode (but all framerates with 45ms rolling shutter). Video button has been placed inside of the battery compartment to prevent accidental pressing. 5000$, releases next month but you won't be actually able to get one until September.

Of course just kidding... somewhat... maybe.

EDIT:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sonys-new-α9-camera-revolutionises-the-professional-imaging-market/

It's the A9... even though the stream just only started. Anticlimactic ;-)

Sounds amazing for photography, but the condensed spec sheet on SAR sounds like video will be the same codecs like the A7s II? So looking at a 4500 GBP price, probably not yet what we hoped for. So where is the A7s III? NAB on the weekend?

4 minutes ago, Ki Rin said:

If they had got it to 24fps instead of 20fps it could have been pretty interesting for video...

The buffer at 20fps is only 241 raw / 362 JPEG pictures. With 24fps that buffer would only last you 15 seconds so I don't think it would be relevant.

The camera adds a lot though, we'll see what of it will trickle down to lesser models in the next 12 to 24 months.

• Super Members

Looks like a very, very capable camera but.....

Why were they whooping that lens?

If it is for sport, they're going to have the same issues as Fuji by having a body capable of getting them into the D5 and 1dXII level IQ wise but not having the lenses to go with it. 

The 300 and 500 primes they have are actually way more expensive than the Nikon and Canon equivalents and without a 400 at all they've got a major gap.

8 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

6K downsampled to 4K. That's a big deal.

Agreed, it's nice. If it has A6x00 level AF-C in video, holds up to at least ISO 12800, the slightly improved color science of the A6500... that would be a damn nice camera. I mean there's tons of great material made with the A7s II / A7r II and 10bit isn't the holy grail many make it out to be. But probably still too expensive for what it offers if one's focus is video (basically like buying an 1Dx II to use it just for video).

5 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Don't the NX1, Sony A6500 and GH5 already offer that ?

But not with a 35mm format sensor. But then I didn't think that UHD was "not sharp/detailed" enough so far, I feel it's less crucial regarding "real" resolution than compared with FullHD.

I'm curious for rolling shutter performance, after all the new sensor and processor seem to be quite high performing.

5 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Seems like it has a crop: "In full-frame shooting, the angle of view will be narrower under the following conditions: – When [File Format] is set to [XAVC S 4K] and [Record Setting] is set to [30p]."

That's in 30p just like on the A6300/A6500. 24/25p is full width according to the specs.

6 minutes ago, forofilms said:

How about 4k 60p? Any mention?

Not happening. It's UHD up to 30p 100Mbit/s and FullHD up to 120p in 100Mbit/s.

8 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Seems like it has a crop: "In full-frame shooting, the angle of view will be narrower under the following conditions: – When [File Format] is set to [XAVC S 4K] and [Record Setting] is set to [30p]."

a6500 has a 30p crop too IIRC. No crop is likely 4k24p only.

edit: Phil A beat me to it

I think everyone is overlooking one of the most significant changes - since the Nex5 people have been complaining about the shitty placement and tiny record button, Sony has FINALLY changed it.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.58.24 AM.png

So not a video camera, really.

It's a bit of a gambit. I don't know why people in the market for an FF with amazing autofocus in this price range would pick it over Canikon, where they have the best selection of sport lenses and bodies that won't be a pain to balance them on. With the A7 series they at least had the street market down pretty well.

Price in Germany, 5300 €... like the A7 series wasn't already getting silly for people who don't use them for work.

Looking forward what a A7 III and/or A7s III will bring. But currently I think I might actually go for a GH5 instead, even though it's a completely different system. I hate changing systems, but you have to decide for a camera you will actually shoot something with and not what "might get released in 6 months time".