PSA: Don't buy any gear! NAB 2017 is One Week Away

andrgl

Noone is talking about the next Varicam Mini Light Micro (my trademark!) that is about to released in Autumn. This is the most exciting news so far, an advanced S35 video camera with the internals of the GH5 (I hope) and most of the goodies of the FS5/C100 form factor.

I hope that will push Canon (probably not) to reconsider the updates for the C100markIII...and Canon just announced the CN-E 70-200, which in the end, is going to be a big deal for many (and me included, in case of a worthy C100iii).

The Sound Devices announcements are exciting too, I just can't believe people in sound forums complain about some lack in features and build quality, like Sound Devices line up starts and finishes with these cute entry level models. People want a combination of these and 633 for the price of MixPre3!!! Just can't believe how people thing (same goes for GH5 complainers and in other circumstances). We just can't jump from G to P, with the price of D!

DJI Ronin 2 and a few huge monitors here and there. It seems that companies are announcing products whenever through the year. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree that it is a total bust from a camera point, and I think Panasonic would have been wise to give a solid preview as they did for the GH5 and steal the march on everyone else. I doubt the new camera is going to take business away from GH5 customers, and may in fact strengthen the cameras sales with the new A camera and a the GH5 as a smaller B cam. The additions to Resolve look good though and bring it a step closer to being a one stop shop for smaller producers. However I think we might need to assume the pocket 2 is never coming.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'd say NAB2017 is a complete bust, camera wise.

Nothing from BM, Canon, RED, Nikon (!)...  A teaser from Panny and a sports cam from Sony.

I know RED wasn't even going to come this year.... I remember Jarred saying something along those lines.... he had some other exhibition in mind - more gear related.

Sony did its thing with the A9. I don't think anything else is coming.... not for awhile at least - this is just a prediction from me - but who knows, because Sony is mostly unpredictable.

Panasonic also did their thing.

BM - I know their slot was today at 9am - how long is the show? Is it finished already? And, nothing?

Canon - very predictable - And, if 5Div + clog for $99 is it... then thats it.

Don't care too much about Nikon - sorry.

7 minutes ago, Simon Robinson said:

However I think we might need to assume the pocket 2 is never coming.

Sadly I think that's for the best. It seems their focus is affordable pro equipment, not advanced amateur/artistic equipment lile the Pocket.

It's amazing that they once offered such a unique tool at such an affordable price.

I think Panasonic are the only company still targeting th 'advanced amateur' segment, bringing professional features down to consumer accessible gear - everyone else is chasing the higher margins up market.

GH5 is perfect for "advanced amateurs", I don't see what BlackMagic could offer for less than 1999$.

Even lower speced Panasonics and Sony cameras are enough for most "advanced amateurs".

Now, I have to wait until September to find out what this new Panasonic is, as it would definitely go near the top of my list.

Panasonic is very active lately, the whole industry needed someone to push the envelope a little bit.

5 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'd say NAB2017 is a complete bust, camera wise.

Nothing from BM, Canon, RED, Arri, Nikon (!)...  A teaser from Panny and a sports cam from Sony.

Is Cinegear gonna be the new place to announce, or is it just a one off?

Of these, Blackmagic's really the only company that has traditionally announces camera slates at NAB. Usually these companies prefer their own event or IBC.

The new Panny looks good but perhaps they're not ready and/or are after an audience a little more in-line with who they're but targeting.

Also, most of these companies already have relatively new cameras, and usually camera manufacturers don't supersede or replace particularly quickly anymore (unless you're BM), especially when there's not all that much more to offer in the grand scheme.

And btw, Arri did release a new camera. And Sony released the A9.

I think there's heaps of exciting stuff from NAB this year, and I'm looking forward to seeing Panasonic's new cam.

I wouldn't call it a bust at all. Sure, there are significantly fewer new cameras announced, but you just can't have a slate of new cameras every single year....

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Panasonic is very active lately, the whole industry needed someone to push the envelope a little bit.

Took them long enough! Seems they're finally hitting their stride. Hoping for good things. They've always made really good cameras, they just went through a weird and incredibly slow-to-adapt 5ish-year phase...