PSA: Don't buy any gear! NAB 2017 is One Week Away

andrgl

23 minutes ago, Arikhan said:

@jcs

1. May I ask you, why you've sold your FS700?

2. I've seen some FS700 RAW footage and it was really great IQ. Are you experienced with the FS700 (4K RAW) and the 7Q+?

As I will buy 2 identical cameras (+ recorders) this summer for "dual use" (1. 4.2.0 8bit for ENG & quick shooting AND 2. RAW option with an external recording device for great IQ) I was just considering, it would be a great option for me. 2 x FS700 + 2 x 7Q+ fit my budget and it seems to be the only camera at the moment fitting my "dual use" requirements and budget. Thank you! (I believe, @Tim Sewell owned a FS700 too...)

I prefer simple camera systems and didn't want to deal with an external recorder (have a Convergent Design Nanoflash which is a fine piece of gear (mint condition, need to sell that too!)). The FS700 with O7Q+ can indeed make nice video, especially slow-mo for a very good deal today vs. e.g. the FS7. A lot of folks upgraded to the FS7 from the FS700 and I waited for the C300 II. Wanted Canon color, direct Canon lens compatibility and usable AF.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
41 minutes ago, jcs said:

Really? You've played with the A7S III? A7S II's touch screen did suck since it didn't have one ;)  True on A7S II battery and AF (A7R II has decent AF).

A7S II has decent color with a little work: 

Which camera is which?

small_adjustment.jpg

I would bet the A7s II is the first one. I used to know a woman that looked almost just like she does. Yikes, she was a looker. Don't think I would want to deal with the stares that go with it. Hell I know I stared LoL. :flushed:

The FS700 was never known for great colors.  Odd duck Codec. And it was built the shape of a breadbox. But one of the cheapest Raw cameras out there used now. And it is sort of like the Canon C700, about 3 feet long with all the factory stuff you need to make it shoot Raw!  Sort of looks like a Sandwich loaf of bread in the supermarket. If it didn't have all the high speed FPS stuff on it, I think it would have been a flop for Sony.

Just now, webrunner5 said:

I would bet the A7s II is the first one. I used to know a woman that looked almost just like she does. Yikes, she was a looker. Don't think I would want to deal with the stares that go with it. Hell I know I stared LoL. :flushed:

The thread has the answer, I'm sure you didn't look :) . Jacqui's super cool, she's been in many films and TV shows, and grew up in Cincinnati, maybe you saw her in person. She's pretty much retired from Hollywood and is working on a spiritual path to help people- hypnosis, NLP therapy, coaching, and now yoga instructor. We worked full time on Cosmic Flow for a while, now just part time as she's growing her own brand: http://jacquiholland.com. Folks looking for those things in LA, get in touch with her, she's really talented (sorry guys, she has a serious boyfriend).

1 minute ago, jcs said:

The thread has the answer, I'm sure you didn't look :) . Jacqui's super cool, she's been in many films and TV shows, and grew up in Cincinnati, maybe you saw her in person. She's pretty much retired from Hollywood and is working on a spiritual path to help people- hypnosis, NLP therapy, coaching, and now yoga instructor. We worked full time on Cosmic Flow for a while, now just part time as she's growing her own brand: http://jacquiholland.com. Folks looking for those things in LA, get in touch with her, she's really talented (sorry guys, she has a serious boyfriend).

Might have seen her as I live 20 miles North of Cincy. Woman I know lived in Fort Myers, Florida. Yeah I Might have cheated. But I think it is sort of obvious.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, noone said:

A7siii AF sucks.

A7siii battery life sucks.

A7siii touch screen sucks.

Have I missed anything? (just getting in early before the chorus starts).

Don't forget the A7siii WB that sucks.

Probably some glitches and loads of banding in Slog-4 as well.

Maybe Cine-3 or 4 is better.

But lets keep the hope.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

John do like his Canon cameras. I can't blame him on the C300 mkII part. I would have one also if I had the dough! :frown:

I dig the Sony A7S II too. Color improved over the A7S. The GH5 has improved color over the GH4. I gave RED props for completely replacing their color science (it looks much better!). Apple has great color on the iPhones (right up there with Canon and Nikon). Some of the nicest 'intense color' movies I've seen are Oblivion and Lucy, which were shot on the Sony F65. Comparatively, the color science on the FS700 was well behind Canon (and the A7S II). FS700 + O7Q+ is a different story (improved color). My favorite cameras are from ARRI- they still have the best color. For my needs the C300 II is better than anything currently from ARRI (and Canon's 'ARRI' mode is very close to ARRI, able to use ARR LUTs with great results). Looking forward to the A7S III!

7 hours ago, wolf33d said:

The new Sony is coming and is going to rock 

20mpx

dual sd 

touchscreen and good AF

Give me 4K60p and FHD 240fps and bye bye GH5 for me

Spec-wise, that means on paper, the GH5 crossed every t and dotted every i, but yet, in direct image comparison to the smaller and cheaper A6500 (my choice eventually, no Sony fanboy at all) there is no clear winner - see proof on Youtube. Both have their issues. The GH5's unique feature, 10bit in V-log, apparently doesn't win over simple 8-bit S-log2 as far as DR is concerned. The biggest downside of the alpha 6... series is the display. Too dark, too low resolution, not fully articulated. If they just improved that and added 4k60p. Poor battery life is no dealbreaker because cheap powerbanks exist. 

Honestly I just want new sony camera's to drive used prices down for existing models. I love my A7r II and want to buy a second one. 

In the not-gonna-happen-but-a-man-can-dream category: Sony see the GH5 and counter them a little on features with their existing cameras. They add a higher bitrate to the A7r II and A7sII for video (200 mbps up from 100), add a "6K" mode that uses the entire height of the sensor,  add variable frame rate, and shutter angle option.

10 hours ago, noone said:

A7siii AF sucks.

A7siii battery life sucks.

A7siii touch screen sucks.

Have I missed anything? (just getting in early before the chorus starts).

Seriously? 
There is a good chance AF will AT least match A6500 if not better, which would be anything but sucking. If A6500 AF sucks then GH5 AF is the suckiest thing ever. 
Touch screen wont suck. 
Battery life let's see. Rumors say bigger body. Bigger body = less overheating and maybe better battery. 
Let's see soon. Hope you will be proved wrong, then the camera I waited for is here.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I've already been swamped reading all the new audio announcements related to NAB.... There are a ton of them! So so so many new time code options, plus the shocking announcement from Sound Devices of new low priced gear. And more!

The new affordable Sound Device offerings look appealing to me also.

Speaking of NAB news, is there a favorite site for summaries, etc?