[Experiment] Go wider with "long-scope" anamorphics ?

Justin Bacle

Some time ago, I bought one of these huge wide angle adapters (Mine is a Century Optics C5365 Wide Angle Adapter).

I tried to use it for wider anamorphic shots, but failed. As @Ian Edward Weir explained to me on my initial post on Facebook's anamorphic shooters group, you have to focus everything down to 0.5m in order for this to work, but no anamorphic adapters can focus this close of course :p

So here is my second attempt. And I find it quite successfull if I might say :)

Here is the setup :
- Pana AF100
- Minolta 50/1.4 (@ f/4)
- Isco Ultrastar
- +1 Close-up diopter
- SLR Magic Rangefinder
- Century Optics Wide Angle adapter

58f0edb8c8637_AF100_Minolta50-1.2_f4_180_UltraStar@1.5m_1diopt_Rangefinder_CenturyWA_SETUP.thumb.jpg.a9d7cbb427bdafd78226a8331cd231c1.jpg

With the Rangefinder focused at the minimum (3'6 ft) I have infinity focus ! (YAY)

Pic 1 : With +1 diopter, Rangefinder, Wide Angle adapter (Both taking lens and anamorphic adapter focused to 1.5m)

58f0ee7d7f568_AF100_Minolta50-1.2_f4_180_UltraStar@1.5m_1diopt_Rangefinder_CenturyWA.thumb.jpg.4a359edac5b376aba64411b60baa196a.jpg

Pic 2 : nothing in front of the ultrastar (focused at infinity) graded to match the previous image

58f0ee83ee182_AF100_Minolta50-1.2_f4_180_UltraStar@inf_Corrected.thumb.jpg.8e053d753acb775b1000322e7dc3fd5c.jpg

Pic 3 : Same image uncorrected

AF100_Minolta50-1.2_f4_180_UltraStar@inf.thumb.jpg.e713abd0a6a9f42d0b97ad44b0da2122.jpg

It seems there is a lot of light loss with all the optical elements added :P

A bit of sharpness loss too, but that's to be expected knowing how NOT sharp the rangefinder is :s

I'll make a next attempt with my 50D to see if I can really get wide shots !

Let me know if you guys had any other attempts at this kind of frankensteineering ;) 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With the 50D at the widest I could go with and without the "wider" setup.

Pic 1 : Canon 50D, Helios-44M 58/2, Ultrastar, +1 diopter, Rangefinder, Wide Angle Adapter :

58f0f84855a75_50D_58-2_Ultrastar_1_RF_WA.thumb.jpg.6e6ec93461a2b9ecdbc280c13d5f97a9.jpg

Pic 2 : 50D, Pentax 40-80mm (@40mm), Ultrastar

50D_40-80_Ultrastar.thumb.jpg.e3266f5646f3894e1264236d9075eee9.jpg

YEP, the "wide angle" setup is actually tighter than the basic setup. It also a bit less sharp but shows less distortion (Which is something I like about wide angle anamorphics).

Back to square 1 :p

4 hours ago, Ian Edward Weir said:

The Bolex 8/19 is the only lens i have tested and it worked. Results were subpar so I just decided to wait because John from Rectilux has something special up his sleeve. I was able to get a 24mm FOV with my Bolex. Top angle on my drum solo. 

This is great ! The only thing I miss using anamorphics, is the wide angle as I love using wide angle shots as much as possible. I guess I'll have to buy a short anamorphic like you bolex ;)

I came to the same conclusion using all the various Kowas I have (baby and otherwise), basically being that I really can't go any wider with a WA adapter than I can with the widest taking lens. To use the WA adapter I have to use a longer taking lens and I end up at the same focal length pretty much. Also I tried some super big WA adapters but didn't like the IQ at all. I like most people thought that this was going to be a cool way to shoot wider, but it didn't really turn out like that haha.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, buggz said:

On 4/14/2017 at 2:45 PM, Ian Edward Weir said:
"John from Rectilux has something special up his sleeve."

Something newer than Core DNA?

I too want a wide/ultra wide anamorphic option.

I currently have two B&H Kowa anamorphics.

I want to see cheap wide angle anamorphics !!!

I usually love to shoot very wide, and that is something I miss now that I mostly shoot anamorphic. Hope I'll find a good solution soon :)