The evolution of the cinema camera

ADMATTHEWS

Hi there,

I am currently working on a research project for my final year in university where I study film production.

The paper is called "The Evolution of the Cinema Camera" and will discuss the technological advancements within the cameras through the decades. In particular though it will focus on the move from 35mm film to digital.

For the project I have been talking to various D.O.P's and also camera companies such a Panavision, Arri and RED, and getting their opinions on the change from 35mm to digital. 

However, with digital now the primary choice for shooting a film, companies such as Canon began creating DSLR's with video shooting capability and with that came a new type of film making. It is this type I wish to speak with you all about today.

I want to know your opinions on DSLR film making and how you think it stands up to industry standard digital cameras. Do you think the market is being flooded by films shot on a DSLR that have no real quality to them or do you think DSLR film making has opened the doors to people being able to do what they want and create their film?

Why do you think people went from film to digital? Was it because it is cheaper and faster to work with or something else?

If you had the choice to work with either format which would you pick? Film or digital?

What do you think is next for the film making world? Digital cameras are now shooting extreme resolutions such as the RED Epic being able to shoot in 5K and 3D is beginning to show the world it is not just a fad as more and more films are now being shot in it and not just post-converted. What do you think the next big 'thing' will be?

I also created a poll which you are welcome to do if you wish? It simply asks the question, "Which do you prefer? Film or digital?" and then gives you the option to pick which. The link for this is below:

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=515b2863e4b0ecbcda3739ce

Feel free to comment and share this post, the more opinions I gather the better. Also if you have experience in working in both film and digital and would like to be part of the project itself then please get in touch and I will arrange an interview with you.

Thanks guys!

Dan.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My opinions on DSLR film making and how it stands up to industry standard digital cameras.  The market is being flooded by films shot on a DSLR that have no real quality to them.  DSLR film making has opened the doors to people being able to do more of what they want to create their film?  People went from film to digital because it is cheaper and faster to work with.  If had the choice I'd work with digital.  Next for the film making world is extreme resolutions and frame rates it is just a fad as more and more films are now being shot in it but it's the next big 'thing'.

Let me know if you need anymore help

• Administrators
Here are some points to consider:

Before there was a few film stocks, and the look didn't change for decades. Now the sensors are changing year on year and the look of cinema is evolving very quickly.

Film cameras used to be big heavy beasts, now they are much smaller. So the rigging has got more creative and smaller too - example gyro stabilised RC quadrocopters where a real helicopter used to be used or a crane!

Then there's accessibility. Anybody can shoot with a look closely resembling Super 35mm film now, on a consumer DSLR. The price barrier on the camera side has come down. The price barrier to employing a crew and actors however remains very much in place.

Good luck for your final year.