No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

3 hours ago, mercer said:

I think one of the biggest misconceptions about 5D3 ML Raw is that it is difficult to shoot with, but in reality, once everything is set up, it is the simplest camera to operate. And even though there are a few extra post steps, color work is pretty simple and straightforward as well. 

Yep... people who have never shot it. They probably read a 5year old Cinema 5D (or similar) article about it and haven't given it a go. With MLVFS it's actually eaiser than shooting with GH5 4K 60p files because they edit seamlessly and without any conversion ;) . But hey people (like me) have only said this over and over again on this forum and other places (MLforum)... people just don't listen.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, tweak said:

Yep... people who have never shot it. They probably read a 5year old Cinema 5D (or similar) article about it and haven't given it a go. With MLVFS it's actually eaiser than shooting with GH5 4K 60p files because they edit seamlessly and without any conversion ;) . But hey people (like me) have only said this over and over again on this forum and other places (MLforum)... people just don't listen.

im kind of glad they dont listen lol. its for the cool kids ?

tumblr_opj4svhIkP1run1l1o1_1280.jpg

Finally got a chance to fool around with my secondhand 5D mkIII. I also recently (last night, actually) modded a set of Contax-Zeiss lenses with fixed 2x oval apertures. These were shot with a 28mm.

WUfPZHs.jpg

049EHgr.jpg

oval bokeh and a full frame sensor is a great combo for faux anamorphic. not only do you get the unique defocus characteristics from the oval aperture, but full frame gives you the increased field of view you'd expect from using a real anamorphic lens. 

wcrYKvR.jpg

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

Finally got a chance to fool around with my secondhand 5D mkIII. I also recently (last night, actually) modded a set of Contax-Zeiss lenses with fixed 2x oval apertures. These were shot with a 28mm.

oval bokeh and a full frame sensor is a great combo for faux anamorphic. not only do you get the unique defocus characteristics from the oval aperture, but full frame gives you the increased field of view you'd expect from using a real anamorphic lens. 

What does it cost to mod?

I've got 2 Iscoramas but they're a pain to use, and 35mm is the most width you can get out of them.

other than the lens, the biggest expense was having the aperture discs cut from a .4mm sheet of stainless steel. that was $180 USD. to install them, I was quoted $400 USD per lens, but ended up rolling the dice and doing it myself. $35 for the seamless focus gear and another $35 for the breakthrough photography step-up ring to get all the lenses uniformly to 82mm.

6 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

other than the lens, the biggest expense was having the aperture discs cut from a .4mm sheet of stainless steel. that was $180. to install them, I was quoted $400 per lens, but ended up rolling the device and doing it myself. $35 for the seamless focus gear and another $35 for the breakthrough photography step-up ring to get all the lenses uniformly to 82mm.

What do you guesstimate the f-stop is?

6 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I'm losing anywhere from 1 to 1.3 stops on a set that contains f/1.4 and f/2 lenses.

That's not too bad to get that look... especially in FF. I assume you shoot in 2:39 or 2:35 to assist in the faux anamorphic?

The screengrab of your daughter in the foreground looks great by the way. I swear ML Raw can make any shot look cinematic. After having it for a few weeks now, how do you like the 5D3 compared to BM Raw?

3 hours ago, mercer said:

That's not too bad to get that look... especially in FF. I assume you shoot in 2:39 or 2:35 to assist in the faux anamorphic?

The screengrab of your daughter in the foreground looks great by the way. I swear ML Raw can make any shot look cinematic. After having it for a few weeks now, how do you like the 5D3 compared to BM Raw?

I shot the full 1920x1080 frame, used my SmallHD monitor with a 2.39:1 overlay to compose with. this way I can tweak the framing higher or lower in post before cropping the final 2.39:1 frame.

I prefer 5D + ML Raw overall -- things I like better than the BMD sensors are (1) full frame, full frame, full frame, and (2) the BMD sensors in the Pocket, Micro & BMCC all struggle to maintain good color rendition under tungsten light. While the Canon still looks fantastic.

Now, if I could just get 48 or 60fps working...

59 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

I shot the full 1920x1080 frame, used my SmallHD monitor with a 2.39:1 overlay to compose with. this way I can tweak the framing higher or lower in post before cropping the final 2.39:1 frame.

I prefer 5D + ML Raw overall -- things I like better than the BMD sensors are (1) full frame, full frame, full frame, and (2) the BMD sensors in the Pocket, Micro & BMCC all struggle to maintain good color rendition under tungsten light. While the Canon still looks fantastic.

Now, if I could just get 48 or 60fps working...

Yeah 48fps would be great. I tried it the other week and although I did get it to work, it was at such a low resolution, I almost think the 60p from my D5500 would have looked almost as good... probably not... but it definitely didn't seem worth the trouble.

Have you tried matching the 60p Micro footage with ML Raw? I wonder, if it is simple enough to color match, if it would be good enough for short shots... especially close ups, B-Unit shots?

25 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

Shot some this evening. 5D mk3, Contax Zeiss 50mm with oval aperture mod.

I swear storm clouds are made for ML Raw. Looks great. Love the walk button shot too. Are you going the Raw Magic to Resolve route?

32 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

yeah, exactly. Raw Magic and into Resolve. Although i did try that Footage app that guy is developing for mac users. Seems pretty good. And it can handle the new lossless raw from ML, unlike Raw Magic. No color grading on these. 4500K. BMD Film to BMPC v2 LUT. 

Interesting you mentioned your WB because I just read that Resolve treats 5600k WB as 6500k... or something like that. Do you know anything about that? Although I try to nail it in camera and choose "as shot" in the Raw Tab,

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Interesting you mentioned your WB because I just read that Resolve treats 5600k WB as 6500k... or something like that. Do you know anything about that? Although I try to nail it in camera and choose "as shot" in the Raw Tab,

As long as you don't use auto WB and shoot in K WB it shouldn't matter. 

It shouldn't really matter even if you are on auto WB. You can always adjust one shot in Resolve and replicate the raw settings to all the others. And not bothering with WB while shooting is one of the advantages of shooting raw. In most cases leaving it at 5600K or 3200K should be fine for monitoring.