No Joke - RAW 4K on the 5D Mark III

Filipe Samora

8 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Youtuber Luigi Baccino posted this DNG 14 bit lossless images resolution: 3840x1440.

Lets pray to the ml gods that they get this preview working for at least around 3k.

Indeed.  The image quality has really spoiled me on what's currently out there now.  The 4k at 12fps is spectacular....it is an absolute tragedy as to what these canon dslrs are capable of.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
42 minutes ago, howard said:

I wish there was a GH5 vs Mark 3 ML raw 14bit comparison somewhere.

I just got my GH5 today. One of the things I'm going to want to do is to match V-Log to ML Cinelog. In the process of doing that I'll probably be able to make such a comparison for you. But it will take a while as I don't have V-Log yet.

For those of you that are ML users, check out my Ektar luts.

TWISTED - this one is easy to use:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19338.msg183659#msg183659

ADVANCED - this gives amazing contrast but takes a bit of effort:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19338.msg183803#msg183803

ML footage needs to be in Cinelog-C or else Alexa Log C

1 hour ago, hyalinejim said:

I just got my GH5 today. One of the things I'm going to want to do is to match V-Log to ML Cinelog. In the process of doing that I'll probably be able to make such a comparison for you. But it will take a while as I don't have V-Log yet.

Is there any way to get ML footage as LogC other than MLRawViewer. Once I updated to Sierra, it doesn't work anymore. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Is there any way to get ML footage as LogC other than MLRawViewer. Once I updated to Sierra, it doesn't work anymore. 

I think there is a clog export option in the footage app.  I haven't tried it and won't be able to test it for a few hours.

22 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

That would be awesome thank you!  I"m sure there are a lot of people out there that would love to see the comparison as well.  ^_^

59 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

might be joining you folks in a bit.

My BMMCC's been sitting in my bag since I got it; the 5D color is better, and despite the quoted figures, the 5D has more usable dynamic range. The 3K live view isn't there yet, only a few fps, but usable for establishing shots. HDMI out isn't working with 3K yet either. I'm quite happy with the 1080p raw resolution for everything but establishing shots, but I do like the 2x crop @ 3K, means I can shoot @ f/2.8 instead of f/5.6 and lower the ISO. MLVFS makes editing raw files in Premiere and Resolve possible with no transcoding.

2 hours ago, squig said:

My BMMCC's been sitting in my bag since I got it; the 5D color is better, and despite the quoted figures, the 5D has more usable dynamic range. The 3K live view isn't there yet, only a few fps, but usable for establishing shots. HDMI out isn't working with 3K yet either. I'm quite happy with the 1080p raw resolution for everything but establishing shots, but I do like the 2x crop @ 3K, means I can shoot @ f/2.8 instead of f/5.6 and lower the ISO. MLVFS makes editing raw files in Premiere and Resolve possible with no transcoding.

bought one. :)

2 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

:thumbsup: Few tips I gave to mercer: Use the raw histogram and the ETTR hint. I have my LCD brightness 1 notch from the minimum setting which gives a good exposure preview for ETTR shooting. You can use shutter fine tuning to get a 180 degree shutter. Set FPS to exact. If you're using an external monitor you may have to switch the camera on before you turn on the monitor.

Always expose to the right, highlight recovery is more forgiving than the Blackmagics. Don't pull the CF card until the light flashes, otherwise your battery will drain. exFAT format your cards. You can go with either 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 Canon firmware, difference being 1.1.3 gives a slightly higher max bitrate, while 1.2.3 allows for dual monitoring (HDMI and LCD).

Gimme a yell if ya get stuck with anything.

2 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

Oh and After Effects is the way to go for max quality debayering, but Resolve isn't bad (hearing that it may be better in 14, but haven't tested it yet). If you go with AE use CS6 or CC 2014 for multiproccessor rendering. AE renders are way slower than Resolve. You can use the same Resolve workflow as you would with the Blackmagics provided you use MLVFS.

1 hour ago, squig said:

Oh and After Effects is the way to go for max quality debayering, but Resolve isn't bad (hearing that it may be better in 14, but haven't tested it yet). If you go with AE use CS6 or CC 2014 for multiproccessor rendering. AE renders are way slower than Resolve. You can use the same Resolve workflow as you would with the Blackmagics provided you use MLVFS.

I've been using Resolve exclusively for debayering since 2013. You can surely notice differences side-by-side and Adobe Camera Raw is stills oriented (so doesn't care much about processing speed and uses more sophisticated demosaicing), but Resolve is good enough and way faster (real time!). AE was never even a contender for me (and I use Lightroom for stills all the time). The convenience and smoothness of real time raw editing and coloring is huge for me. I often abuse the raw processing controls for grading purposes and I switch from editing to grading and back all the time as I edit, something one can't do (easily) with a proxy workflow or when baking to a log space in advance. This has been Resolve's greatest appeal.

I'm always so pleased with the ML footage. I have an A7s and like to do astrophotography and would like to do some short films/doco. Think i'll get this as it is good enough as a second astro camera and it smokes the A7s for video!

Now for some advice. I have primes 100mm to 600mm (with teleconverter.) Do you think a canon 24-70 will fill the gap and give a good result for video? I know it is great for photos.

Back on topic. Long live ML RAW!

Just now, Jimmy said:

1 year after selling my 5dIII for a Sony a7s, I am now selling my Sony a7s to get a 5Diii.... The circle of camera life continues.

I've missed the 5Diii so much

Lulz. I did warn everyone. I loved the size and the e mount, that was about it.

5 minutes ago, thecouchguy said:

Now for some advice. I have primes 100mm to 600mm (with teleconverter.) Do you think a canon 24-70 will fill the gap and give a good result for video? I know it is great for photos.

I'm personally not a big fan of modern zooms, I like the character of old Leica primes, but a Canon 24-70 will cover most scenarios with a 5D. You might want to look at the Sigmas too, the primes in particular are very good. The Canon lens that I do like is the 40mm pancake, not great for manual focusing, but it does have some character.

3 hours ago, squig said:

:thumbsup: Few tips I gave to mercer: Use the raw histogram and the ETTR hint. I have my LCD brightness 1 notch from the minimum setting which gives a good exposure preview for ETTR shooting. You can use shutter fine tuning to get a 180 degree shutter. Set FPS to exact. If you're using an external monitor you may have to switch the camera on before you turn on the monitor.

Always expose to the right, highlight recovery is more forgiving than the Blackmagics. Don't pull the CF card until the light flashes, otherwise your battery will drain. exFAT format your cards. You can go with either 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 Canon firmware, difference being 1.1.3 gives a slightly higher max bitrate, while 1.2.3 allows for dual monitoring (HDMI and LCD).

Gimme a yell if ya get stuck with anything.

Great advice too, you and Hyalinejim saved my ass with part 1 of my short shoot. What batteries do you use? I have the original Canon battery and it lasted almost the entire first day of shooting, but the Wasabi 3rd Party batteries I bought drain pretty damn quick. Any suggestions?