Jvc GY-Ls300 finally gets 4:2:2 4k and other gifts!

Alt Shoo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://www.altasens.com/images/AL41410C-PF0476-10.pdf

Fun fact, the sensor in the LS300 is capable to do up to 4K DCI 72fs 12bit!! :-o 

FHD can go up to 240fps!! :-o :-o 

Of course, what the max capability of the processor in the LS300 is a totally different question that we don't know.

Dynamic Range is stated to be 68 dB, which is around 11 stops.
Hmmm... thought the LS300 was more than that?

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

http://www.altasens.com/images/AL41410C-PF0476-10.pdf

Fun fact, the sensor in the LS300 is capable to do up to 4K DCI 72fs 12bit!! :-o 

That is true only if your are cropping to an ROI of 4096 x 2160 on the sensor.

If you're using the full sensor and have to downsample, you're limited to 50 fps I think.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:31 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Ive used it. But only with a Canon EF lens with a pretty noisy focus motor and an adapter. I suspect there are much more quite lenses. Like a native Sigma art without regular focus gears.

wow. well the fact that it works with EF lenses and smart adaptor is cool. i was planning on investing in good MFT glass. so maybe perhaps it works great on native glass. ive seen pretty decent AF footage from the camera with panasonic lenses so i know its capable of smooth focus pulls.

On 8/12/2017 at 3:57 AM, BTM_Pix said:

As its got a LANC port, you can also remote the zoom rocker (as well as the record function) off the body with one of these

61E5JfG+2VL._SL1500_.jpg

ive heard of these LANC controllers on ENG cameras. I donthave much ENG experience except at my church, so your saying this LANC switch can program focusing in it? and how do you mount that thing? lol

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, GnK Studios said:

wow. well the fact that it works with EF lenses and smart adaptor is cool. i was planning on investing in good MFT glass. so maybe perhaps it works great on native glass. ive seen pretty decent AF footage from the camera with panasonic lenses so i know its capable of smooth focus pulls.

ive heard of these LANC controllers on ENG cameras. I donthave much ENG experience except at my church, so your saying this LANC switch can program focusing in it? and how do you mount that thing? lol

It will mirror whatever you have assigned to the zoom rocker on the camera.

It mounts to the tripod pan bar 

17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

It will mirror whatever you have assigned to the zoom rocker on the camera.

It mounts to the tripod pan bar 

well thats a alternative but its really a gamechanger to not have to mount it on the tripod because focusing can be done from the rocker on the camera. thanks for the insight tho!

On 8/11/2017 at 8:49 AM, Anaconda_ said:

I think it's mostly due to the lens we have on the FS5, it's VERY slow to zoom and although it's not very wide aperture, quite hard to nail focus. Even with peaking is can often be slightly off. On the LS300, we often have the Sigma 18-35, and at 1.8 it's easier to lock on... most likely user error on my part, because logically that doesn't make sense, but that's just how I find it. Maybe the peaking is more accurate? Because of those lens limitations, the LS300 footage always looks a lot nicer with an interview, but isn't so practical with a moving subject... but that's where other lenses come in. The people who own the FS5 I use refuse to put anything other than Sony glass on it - so it's very limiting.

Then there's things like the LCD. It feels very dangerous on the FS5 - there's nowhere for it to tuck in safely, so if you're pulling the camera in and out of a bag all day, I fear it's going to get damaged very quickly. JVC tucks in neatly and safely. Sure it's not the same build quality, but I'd rather have a working one that isn't great, then a fantastic but broken LCD. I'm looking at it for composition and focus peaking only. Zebras and histogram tell me the rest and the screen can be any resolution for those to work.

There are a few other things, but those are my main concerns. 

Thinking about it though, maybe I should clarify - I prefer shooting on the LS300 setup I use compared to the FS5 setup I use. maybe if the tables were turned and I had an annoying lens on the JVC but a great one on the FS5, I'd be the other way around...

Since you have the ls300, how has been your experience between with the zoom rocker added functions? more specifically the zoom rocker focusing alternative?

I think i might've eloped in my dreams last night with the GH5 and I'm trying to find reasons to get the JVC over the GH5... 

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, GnK Studios said:

well thats a alternative but its really a gamechanger to not have to mount it on the tripod because focusing can be done from the rocker on the camera. thanks for the insight tho!

I don't think you get arrested for not putting it on the pan bar its just the usual place for it ;)

There is a benefit there for not physically touching the camera to reduce shake and it gives you the option of someone else pulling focus remotely as well of course but neither of those might be applicable to how you're working.

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't think you get arrested for not putting it on the pan bar its just the usual place for it ;)

There is a benefit there for not physically touching the camera to reduce shake and it gives you the option of someone else pulling focus remotely as well of course but neither of those might be applicable to how you're working.

true true...

I'll make it work lol

jerry rig.jpg

5 hours ago, GnK Studios said:

Since you have the ls300, how has been your experience between with the zoom rocker added functions? more specifically the zoom rocker focusing alternative?

I think i might've eloped in my dreams last night with the GH5 and I'm trying to find reasons to get the JVC over the GH5... 

I never used it, my whole live I've focused with a ring, so trying to move to a rocker is totally different, something like trying to use a fork with your left hand. I'm sure some people do it, and like it, but the 'old' system was never a problem for me.

19 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I never used it, my whole live I've focused with a ring, so trying to move to a rocker is totally different, something like trying to use a fork with your left hand. I'm sure some people do it, and like it, but the 'old' system was never a problem for me.

lol i feel you. i used old EF (with unusable af) and vintage canon FD manual lenses for years but if you ever get a chance to test it i would be more than happy. 

• 1 month later...
On 31/03/2017 at 10:06 PM, Kisaha said:

Hoorey! even though still I haven't found a productive way to use J-log (there is huge amount of noise in the "shadow" parts), this little cam is amazing for the price! We strongly consider buying a second one for our production company.

Just came across this and thought I'd mention a solution that worked for me. I used to find the camera gave very noisy darks as well in log mode. However I found out that once I'd switched to J-LOG I then could change my gain settings to -6db instead of 0db. This made a huge improvement on the LOG output of this camera for me. Not sure if you were aware of that, but worth a try if not.

• 4 months later...

Here is a project I mainly shot on JVC-LS300 camera in LOG mode.

The only limitation with Log mode is losing the possibility to quickly adjust the exposure by pointing the camera at something average and pressing the "auto" button once to get a starting point close to the exact exposure. Sometimes that limitation slows down a bit the process while switching from indoor to outdoor shots using Lumix lens as the aperture knob on the camera is not precise and not easy to handle.

B cameras were Panasonic G85, GH3, and GH4

13 minutes ago, Sanka said:

the aperture knob on the camera is not precise and not easy to handle.

I get around that by keeping aperture the same and using the ND to go from inside to outside. it's instant, tactile and will give you a good enough results that you can fine tune in post if you're a little over or under once you get outside.

@Kisaha Thanks for your comment. Music was composed by a great guitarist who is from that area in France. Bretagne is a big part of Celtic world, full of history and legend. Bretagne is, for example, the land of Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. 

Concerning your question I used the JVC at a max of ISO1600 and got no problem with noise, as I am always setting lights for my indoor shot and I also get a great range of lenses with a wide aperture when needed.

@Anaconda_ I am using this ND filter trick as well, but still, I have to use this terrible knob to get the right exposure on Lumix lens. I prefer not to count on the exposure correction too much during post-processing as this often deteriorate the image.  

The one push auto exposure was a feature I was used to on all the ENG camera I worked with for documentary (from Sony PD150 & Digibeta, Panasonic HVX200 & HPX 500, AF103...) and I am missing it here as soon as Log profile is selected. It can be very useful while moving (or panning) from shadow to light progressively while shooting. ND filter turn does not allow this.

On the LS300, I tend to use the aperture ring on Voigtlander or non-native lens with adapter (Nikon AIS).